Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Last edited:

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Direct TV... passing cloudcover or ufo?
I see the same thing on my LG TV. But it only happens on a couple channels.
It’s not direct tv unfortunately. I disconnected my direct tv box and it still does it so there’s something wrong with the TV. Just don’t know what exactly [laugh]
539F7571-982A-4934-B1C5-97B6D1F9991C.jpeg

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
If it cycles like that, I would highly suspect a capacitor going bad.
Found a discussion on another site describing the same issue with the same model. That “technician” says the panel is most likely bad.

Sounds like I’ll have to buy a new TV. What a shame. Paid $950 for this LG 7 years ago. Sucks.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Found a discussion on another site describing the same issue with the same model. That “technician” says the panel is most likely bad.

Sounds like I’ll have to buy a new TV. What a shame. Paid $950 for this LG 7 years ago. Sucks.
The good news is you can get 4k 65" Samsung for like 600 or less...

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Fyi I also have direct tv.
Dtv called me about adding a sports package (didnt want) but i asked the guy if my box could get 4k, he said no, need the new box.
He told me dtv was planning to roll out new 4k boxes in other parts of the country, but if i called cs and said I knew about the plan, they would upgrade me.
Havent followed up yet. There are 4 4k channels plus 4k ppv movies, already.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously, all you can do is wiggle the connectors on the cables and hope one of them is loose.

You probably do not have the test gear to do anything else.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Seriously, all you can do is wiggle the connectors on the cables and hope one of them is loose.

You probably do not have the test gear to do anything else.
That’s basically all I did. No luck. Going to grab a 50" Samsung LED TV. 2019 model on Amazon is $356 plus tax. Not horrible.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Vizio's are great bang for the buck. This has basic local dimming (10 zones).

Vizio can die in a fire. I have to deal with one of their 70" 4K TVs at my cigar club and I hate that f***ing thing. (one of the guys just bought it without any input from me or anyone else, long story) You sit a foot or so off to the side and it looks like dog meat. Plus they flinted on the UI so you have to use a smartphone or a tablet to get into any advanced programming options- can't use the remote to do it. It's pretty obvious why they did this, so they could save money on not putting more hardware in the TV set.

The only "good" thing about that TV at all is at the time like 3 or so years ago it was only about $1000 or so. Other than the price,
and the fact that it hasn't blown up yet, it pretty much sucks. @ColdDayInHell was generous enough to come help us tune the color/brightness/sat/etc so it looked less like dog meat, that still took us like a good half hour or so of tinkering or more... just to get the settings to the way they should have been out of the box. Poorly engineered/QAed product.

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
FWIW now that I remember, @whatluck said he has rebuilt some busticated TV sets, I wonder if he knows anything about these?

ETA: now I just watched your video paying more attention... the fact that it only happens on like the lower 2/3rds of the panel is
not good, the technician might be right WRT the panel...

-Mike

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
FWIW now that I remember, @whatluck said he has rebuilt some busticated TV sets, I wonder if he knows anything about these?

ETA: now I just watched your video paying more attention... the fact that it only happens on like the lower 2/3rds of the panel is
not good, the technician might be right WRT the panel...

-Mike
Yes, probably the panel. If I were to source a replacement, I would search for one that just stopped turning on one day and start swapping parts. Seems like a PITA but I'm a cheap bastard, less money on replacement TVs right now means more money for bottled water, TP, and hand sanitizer.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Vizio can die in a fire. I have to deal with one of their 70" 4K TVs at my cigar club and I hate that f***ing thing. (one of the guys just bought it without any input from me or anyone else, long story) You sit a foot or so off to the side and it looks like dog meat. Plus they flinted on the UI so you have to use a smartphone or a tablet to get into any advanced programming options- can't use the remote to do it. It's pretty obvious why they did this, so they could save money on not putting more hardware in the TV set.

The only "good" thing about that TV at all is at the time like 3 or so years ago it was only about $1000 or so. Other than the price,
and the fact that it hasn't blown up yet, it pretty much sucks. @ColdDayInHell was generous enough to come help us tune the color/brightness/sat/etc so it looked less like dog meat, that still took us like a good half hour or so of tinkering or more... just to get the settings to the way they should have been out of the box. Poorly engineered/QAed product.

-Mike
Well, Vizio, TCL and HiSense are like Korean cars, only recently seem to be getting reliable.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
All this crap is made in China. When you get the new one, be sure to sanitize it for the virus [rofl]
And check for flies. Our Vizio kitchen TV (22"?) a fruit fly crawled inside behind the screen, and I touched it trying to kill it, thinking it was on the screen. Now I have a dead fly in the screen lol.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I sold HDTVs for a decade. That, my friend, is most likely a video card problem, i.e. hardware issue. It'll need replacing.

So I’ve got a 7 year 50" LG LCD HDTV that just developed this weird intermittent focusing issue. It goes back and forth from being in focus to blurry.

View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBAFWO2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_P4pGEbFWW1VYK
Here’s a video of the issue

Is this thing junk? Is 7 years the new normal life expectancy for HDTVs??

Any idea if it can be fixed?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You can try to replace / repair the green board on the right but if you can spare the money a new TV is a better use of your time and energy.

Top Bottom