Leyden, MA 8/22-23 - Experimental AR-seed

You asked for it, so we're arranging it: an advanced Appleseed focused on the AR.

Stuff we're going to cover: field positions, improvised and expedient support, sighting systems, care and feeding, ballistics, target detection, range estimation, dealing with sight offset at very short range.

In order to get much out of this, you should have an AR pattern rifle in a centerfire caliber, ~400 rounds of ammo, and a teachable attitude. The course is designed for people who already familiar with the Appleseed program, and can already shoot a rifleman's score.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/leyden-ma-appleseed-august-22-23-2015-tickets-16833941773

This thread is for Q&A, so if you have any questions before you sign up, chime in.

Sounds like a great idea. Good way to keep people in the fold. Maybe do something like our local youth shooting program does. First Sunday of the month you can bring kids in and after the initial safety programs they can come back and shoot for score to either beat their old best or compete against shooters statewide. Of course this all needs to be supported by clubs and ranges which can be problematic when weighing the needs of a membership.

If Im reading the eventbrite page correctly, ticket sales end in 4 days and there's only been one ticket bought. What happened to all the interest?

C'mon guys!

Not sure why as most events are available for registration until the day before when registration closes.

It seems to be copying the July 11-12 event at Leyden, for what ever the reason. Hope it's just a glitch.

Just sent a heads up on it, Let's see what happens. Thanks for taking note and posting it.

Last edited:
The registration deadline should be further out - I'll look into it.

Sounds fun but not familiar with Appleseed program, no idea what a riflemans score is. :(

A rifleman's score is 210 out of 250 on the AQT, or Army Qualifying Test. The normal Appleseed curriculum is focused on getting students to shoot at that level (~4 MOA from unsupported prone).
I highly recommend you give one a try! Start with a normal Appleseed, however, as this one is going to assume that you're already familiar with the existing material.

Thanks guys, looking forward to it.

Im assuming there's a minimum number of shooters you guys need to make it worth while?

Red dots ok? The only Appleseed Ive done, everyone had iron sights so it never came up.

Red dots are definitely OK - we'll be covering some more details on different sighting options for this one, and you'll hopefully get to see some of the advantages and disadvantages of various options.

As to the minimum number of shooters, yes, but for this shoot we've also got a few instructors interested, and that number is pretty small since this is 1) an advanced class, and 2) a new thing for project Appleseed.

Thanks guys, looking forward to it.

Im assuming there's a minimum number of shooters you guys need to make it worth while?

Red dots ok? The only Appleseed Ive done, everyone had iron sights so it never came up.

I had a ton of fun at this shoot. Shooting at 200y was a blast and a first for me. I had read of the different POI between 3 yards, 25m,100, 200 yards and so on, saw trajectory charts etc, but it was cool to actually shoot at those different distances and see the differing POI's depending on where you were zeroed and learn how to adjust for them. It was nice to put it into practice. I also liked the target detection/range estimation exercise. It was a challenge for me, especially estimating range. Its something I need to work on.

I also learned some of the limitations of a red dot sight as the target gets smaller and/or the distance to target gets longer. That relatively tiny dot starts to look real big when youre aiming at an even tinier looking target at 100 yards. One of the instructors loaned me a magnifier which made a big difference for me. Another part of the learning experience. Improvised support was an interesting exercise as well. We used trees as a support, something I wouldnt have been able to do at my club. Along with the new (to me) stuff, I got to work on the fundamentals under supervision- breathing, npoa, trigger control. We also discussed adjusting for wind and different ways to determine range to target.

All in all, it was a fun and informative weekend. Ive been reviewing what we went over, reading through my notes and Im looking forward to making improvements and hopefully getting a chance to shoot the course again.

Thanks again guys.

Back
Top Bottom