• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lexington Resident Just Got LTC, With Sporting Restriction

I got my LTC with sporting restriction last week, after two months waiting. The application process is very straight-forward, and the police interview is pleasant.
My reason is simple and completely honest. I spent more and more time doing outdoor sports, like camping, hiking, boating, and photography. I ventured into more and more remote mountains and forests. I would feel much more comfortable with LTC. The policeman interviewing me was very nice and supportive of my interests and application for LTC.
I urge anyone in outdoor people and gun-loving people in Massachusetts to apply for LTC.

OP- glad to hear you're excited to have the LTC although the entire process is a class A infringement (pun intended).

Sporting as in gun range only, duh .

Restrictions are not defined under the law. They are case-by-case and literally mean whatever the issuing chief wants them to mean. So unless you’ve seen something in writing from his chief you have no idea what his restriction allows him to do or not do.

Restrictions are not defined under the law. They are case-by-case and literally mean whatever the issuing chief wants them to mean. So unless you’ve seen something in writing from his chief you have no idea what his restriction allows him to do or not do.
Give me an example of other sporting restrictions.

Give me an example of other sporting restrictions.

a sporting restriction can mean whatever the IA wants it to mean. Or they can go "buh, talk to EOPS" and accept their boilerplate definition, whatever that
is. (somewhere theres a printout or a list that EOPS provides, but this is NOT legally binding in any way!)

"Carrying a loaded firearm is only allowed whilst hunting squirrels in zone 4, while the holder of the license is wearing a pair of red plastic clown shoes. "

-Mike

Or, cite the definition of sporting restriction that says you can't concealed carry while engaged in sports?

It’s rather difficult to cite the definition of something that’s undefined. This is kind of like direct control. People can go on and on and beat it to death until the end of time but it’s not defined and means whatever the police want it to mean. In this case the police chief that is.

It’s rather difficult to cite the definition of something that’s undefined. This is kind of like direct control. People can go on and on and beat it to death until the end of time but it’s not defined and means whatever the police want it to mean. In this case the police chief that is.

LOL, it's perfectly defined, 351 times, by every issuing authority in the state. Of course they could just say "what do you think it means?" when you ask for a clarification, etc and not really give you the answer you seek.

-Mike

LOL, it's perfectly defined, 351 times, by every issuing authority in the state. Of course they could just say "what do you think it means?" when you ask for a clarification, etc and not really give you the answer you seek.

-Mike

Some towns hand out form letters stating what the restriction means. That’s actually a good thing for somebody with that restriction.

Makes me want to hug a tree, buy a subaru and go to ikea. Hair too thin for a manbun so that's off the table. Skinny jeans?

I got my LTC with sporting restriction last week, after two months waiting. The application process is very straight-forward, and the police interview is pleasant.
My reason is simple and completely honest. I spent more and more time doing outdoor sports, like camping, hiking, boating, and photography. I ventured into more and more remote mountains and forests. I would feel much more comfortable with LTC. The policeman interviewing me was very nice and supportive of my interests and application for LTC.
I urge anyone in outdoor people and gun-loving people in Massachusetts to apply for LTC.
You're happy with a restriction on a right ! Well, now we know why we are loosing rights in this state. [thinking]

Last edited:
You got a neutered LTC and your happy?!?

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

I received a detailed description of all kinds of restrictions with my LTC.

"Sporting - Restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns); and for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or similar activities. Includes travel to and from activity location."

Now I realized that at least in Lexington, the "Sporting" restriction is defined quite broadly, much more than "recreational shooting or competition".
As far as I can see, "Sporting" restriction allows "hiking" "or similar activities", and "Includes travel to and from activity location". That means as long as I think about taking a walk somewhere, anywhere, in my mind, I can carry a firearm concealed, because I can legally claim that I am in the "travel to and from activity location".
I do realize that this restriction does NOT allow me to carry concealed when I am working in an office, going to restaurants, or do shopping. For now I really do not have any plan to carry any firearm outside of my house, except to remote places for real hiking and camping.

A monkey wrench thrown into my practice of my gun right is that the series of school shooting recently has turned many people into gun haters, that include my kids. So I may not possess a gun anyway, at least not in this year. I have owned air guns for several years. So I can keep practicing my air guns. I can go to Granite State Range in Nashua, New Hampshire to rent guns and practice firing a real firearm. That does not require a LTC anyway.
So you can see that Lexington is a unique town in a unique state, and I am in a unique environment. "Sporting" restriction in my LTC does not give me any inconvenience.

Back
Top Bottom