• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lexington MA LTC letter advice (or, better, experience)

On my first application, I put "Legal self defense and all other lawful purposes."

When the Lt doing the interview asked why I put that I told him that on the advice of my lawyer, those would be the only words I wrote down so that if sometime in the future I shoot the guy who just broke down my front door and is standing in my hallway holdings a butcher's knife, the lawyer his family hired doesn't wave my application around the courtroom saying, "according to this, you wanted a fire arm to shoot skeet, but you obviously just wanted to commit murder, were you lying when you applied for your permit, are you lying about the man you shot breaking into your house?"

The Lt, said "ok" and moved on.

On the one hand,
Lexington has got to have the coin to try to fight a (Comm2A-bankrolled?) lawsuit,
and the hoplophobe dain bramage to actually put up a fight.

On the other hand,
making freaking Lexington -
the birthplace of the Revolution -
the place where Mass gun control received a mortal wound
would be epic. Picking Lexington for the suit
would have a cachet far beyond making (say) Brookline wear an L on its forehead.

It would live forever, like the (out-of-context-ish) Ken Olsen quote,
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home".

And on the third hand,
Lexington might be stupid enough to appeal it beyond the first court smackdown,
thus Killing The Job for a wider jurisdiction;
for all of New England if the 1st Circuit finally steps up and does its job.
So mega bonus points for trolling Lexington into libberal overreach.

Note also that whenever Lexington folds and amends their application form,
it would make for an epic animated GIF that starts out with the Fascist form,
and then fade/morphs to the Freedom form.

After all, when the state fire code was rewritten to no longer require
model rocketeers to file an application with their fire department
to perform a launch, the Central Mass Spacemodeling Society
made up T-shirts that showed the form, with a rocket streaking up across it,
with the exhaust trail charring the form...

I’m good friends with a certain high ranking long time official in the department who is retired. His former boss wasn’t even happy reissuing his LTC in Lexington.
How’s that for a suck pill?

Three unrestricted Lexington LTC's in my family. Believe it or not, the former CLEO and his licensing officer were 2A friendly. But then this happened. Shortly thereafter, CLEO retires. And shortly after that, licensing officer retires. Have not heard how the new guys are treating applicants, but fear things have gotten worse.

Three unrestricted Lexington LTC's in my family. Believe it or not, the former CLEO and his licensing officer were 2A friendly. But then this happened. Shortly thereafter, CLEO retires. And shortly after that, licensing officer retires. Have not heard how the new guys are treating applicants, but fear things have gotten worse.
Thanks for the intel.

I put this in my non-resident application:

"I think, in general, I think my desire to carry revolves around
my responsibility, and ability, to protect not only myself but those I care about if it should ever become necessary. Although I try to avoid places where unrest or
other adverse events may occur you can't always predict those things in advance."

Can't say it made a difference or not but I got what I wanted.

Agree, "All lawful purposes" has been the standard answer to this question for as long as I have had an LTC (25 years)

GOAL has a page on the subject:

Which curiously does not mention "All lawful purposes."
In Haverhill the last 2 licensing officers just type "all lawful purposes" into the block and don't even ask.

Isn’t Lexington the town where a Town Meeting board member tried to ban all semi-automatic weapons with an amendment a few years back? Seems like the town has been going downhill for a while.

Yes it was: Town symbolically bans semi-automatic weapons

I guess its muzzleloaders only.
Yes, and with GOAL's help it was effectively resisted. Watered down to an a meaningless resolution.

The irony is that the proponents recognized that it required the legislature to act and not the AG to issue a decree.

Back
Top Bottom