Lexington MA LTC letter advice (or, better, experience)

MisterHappy

NES Member
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
SWIM is applying for LTC in Lexington.

In addition to the references, the town apparently requires

New LTC applicants must submit a letter attached to the application explaining the reasons for desiring a LTC. This is not necessary for FID Cards

I gave him a couple of phrases to avoid, but was wondering if anyone had recently jumped through this particular hoop?

Thankee, Hive Mind

That is unfortunate. When I applied in Bedford, the reason was “all lawful purposes.”

As I am sure you know, the applicant will want to avoid their reasons leading to restrictions on their license. So, stating “target practice” or “hunting” might not cut it. Does the applicant ever carry large sums of money in seedy neighborhoods?

It does seem that todays Supreme Court ruling goes against them being able to ask this kind of question, but I doubt the applicant wants to be the one to sue the state.

That is unfortunate. When I applied in Bedford, the reason was “all lawful purposes.”

As I am sure you know, the applicant will want to avoid their reasons leading to restrictions on their license. So, stating “target practice” or “hunting” might not cut it. Does the applicant ever carry large sums of money in seedy neighborhoods?

It does seem that todays Supreme Court ruling goes against them being able to ask this kind of question, but I doubt the applicant wants to be the one to sue the state.

They can ask whatever, they answer won’t matter though because they won’t be able to put restrictions on the LTC.

I believe then lawsuit would be against the town. Towns don’t want to spend money fighting a losing suit, i doubt a town would fight. Boston and cities with more money may have more interest in fighting. But SCOTUS spoke, the courts won’t have a choice of how to decide

Yeah, he's not interested in being the lead litigant; he does not carry phat stax in da hood. He just wants a nice permission slip that says, "Restrictions: None" like it should (insofar that a license needs to exist at all.

As for They can ask whatever, they answer won’t matter though because they won’t be able to put restrictions on the LTC. The LTC itself is a restriction, because it's "May Issue". With the way that DPRM works, it will take several years for any practical change to filter down, IMO. Hope I'm wrong, but....

Yeah, he's not interested in being the lead litigant; he does not carry phat stax in da hood. He just wants a nice permission slip that says, "Restrictions: None" like it should (insofar that a license needs to exist at all.

As for They can ask whatever, they answer won’t matter though because they won’t be able to put restrictions on the LTC. The LTC itself is a restriction, because it's "May Issue". With the way that DPRM works, it will take several years for any practical change to filter down, IMO. Hope I'm wrong, but....

Get a federal judge to issue an injunction and it will be right quick. The NJ Ag is going to issue guidance explaining the may issue is gone. No way Maura will,do that here but I think most red towns will comply. Some obviously will need the stick and good wacks

New LTC applicants must submit a letter attached to the application explaining the reasons for desiring a LTC. This is not necessary for FID Cards
Not anymore. PD needs to update their forms.

If you want to play ball, “All Lawful Porposes”

/thread

Not anymore. PD needs to update their forms.

If you want to play ball, “All Lawful Porposes”

/thread
Agree, "All lawful purposes" has been the standard answer to this question for as long as I have had an LTC (25 years)

GOAL has a page on the subject:

Which curiously does not mention "All lawful purposes."

I appreciate the political stance expressed in the above posts; I was looking for actual, recent Lexington experience.

Writing, "All Lawful Purposes" was more on point, when the language on the LTC was, "Reason for Issuance." Now, however, it says, "Restrictions: ??????" (We're going for "None," of course.)

Yeah, the PD should update their form, but since the letter-writing "requirement" is above what's required per MGLs, do you really think that a PD that wants more hoops will remove them, just because SCOTUS made a ruling pertaining to an adjacent state?

If you go to the Lex PD info page, it, for some reason, does not mention that an FID for an applicant <18 is $25, not a C-note.

In Arlington I put in “All lawful purposes”. I was approved and am waiting for the card. A primary aim for me is to hunt but I left that off the form entirely.

Has this person ever worked as a manager/supervisor? "I've had active threats from disgruntled employees" was enough for my MA non-resident permit. In my case, it was actually true, but I don't know how much they really check into it.

I gave him a couple of phrases to avoid, but was wondering if anyone had recently jumped through this particular hoop?

Thankee, Hive Mind
New applicants, that's funny! [rofl] I've had a LTC for 45 years and the last time I renewed they made me write the same letter along with two letters of personal references. Here in Massachusetts they never get tired of playing games. The Lt. told me that I could write anything in my letter as long as I didn't use the words, ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES. Good luck with that letter.

New applicants, that's funny! [rofl] I've had a LTC for 45 years and the last time I renewed they made me write the same letter along with two letters of personal references. Here in Massachusetts they never get tired of playing games. The Lt. told me that I could write anything in my letter as long as I didn't use the words, ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES. Good luck with that letter.
Are you from Lexington?

Just to see what they want, I went to the Lexington website and downloaded their firearms license application procedure pdf. All the normal stuff, but was surprised that they included the infamous “Permit to Purchase” in their instructions. I wonder if anyone from Lexington has actually applied for a “Permit to Purchase”? I've always thought of it as sort of a mythical beast used to get around Heller.

The Lexington Police actually say:
  • Consistent with current law, a person that holds an unrestricted FID Card may apply for a Permit to Purchase to consummate a one-time purchase of a firearm to be used solely for protection in the home. The application criteria are identical to an LTC and the licensing authority can impose restrictions on the caliber and capacity of the weapon the applicant can purchase.

Thankee, Hive Mind
How about.
I LOVE.......GUNZ, GUNZ, GUNZ, GUNZ

NEED MYSELF SOME GUNZ, GUNZ, GUNZ, GUNZ

My town is easy.......just the application form, no letters. As it should be.

But the CLEO told me they can't use ALP anymore and to put "No Restrictions" on my last go around. So that's what I use.

Of course its confusing to people to answer that way because the question is worded " What is the reason you want the license?"

In a way I think the state words it that way because they want to have people answer Sporting,Target or Hunting or some stupid shit.

My CLEO just gives everyone No Restrictions anyway, no matter how they answer it.

My wondering is if that question on reason will have to go away on the application, I won't hold my breath, but I think it would be against the new ruling to ask for reason, as you don't need one anymore.

The Lexington Police actually say:
  • Consistent with current law, a person that holds an unrestricted FID Card may apply for a Permit to Purchase to consummate a one-time purchase of a firearm to be used solely for protection in the home. The application criteria are identical to an LTC and the licensing authority can impose restrictions on the caliber and capacity of the weapon the applicant can purchase.

...huh?

Let's assume the SCOTUS desicion didn't happen last week.

Would it really matter what you write?

My thought is, many (if not all) PD in MA already know what kind of restrictions they will give someone, so as long as you dont write "f*ck you", your destiny was decided before you submitted the application.

With that said "all lawful purposes" as mentiomed above.

Going above and beyond writing ALP is a complete waste of time.

Unless someone has proof of how someone's amazing writing skills managed to persuade a licensing officer in a red town.

It's just weird. I've never heard of a provision by which a CoP can restrict caliber, especially if they're "allowing" a "one-time purchase" of a normally restricted firearm relative to a shooter's FID...

That's called the "Baffle Them with Bullshit" regulatory scheme for denying American's their 2nd Amendment right.

It's by design.

Back
Top Bottom