• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lewiston Maine Gun Show?

Can anyone confirm the dates of March 28-29, 2009?

This is a very good show, but parking is a pain!

Picher

Hey, I live in Lewiston and just found out about this show this evening - however I can't find any info on it! Do you guys know where, when, price, etc? Thanks!

I dug up the show details... March 28 & 29 at Lewiston Armory. $7 at the door. Sat 9-4, Sun 9-3. Per ad in Twin City Times. Thanks guys.

Yeah, it's this weekend. I have a buddy that will be selling brass for reloading there. 9mm, .223, and 5.56. I think he has some .50BMG and 12ga. shotgun shells as well.

Given that Lewiston has very restrictive city gun ordinances, how is that going to work? For instance, how can you buy handguns at the gun show without getting arrested in the parking lot?

I thought the ordinance was "no discharge of firearms within city limits".

Hopefully that doesn't happen at the show.

Carefull about walking accross the grounds of the school next door.

Unfortunately, it is not so simple. Section 50-107 sez:

"(h) Prima facie evidence of violation. It shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section if a person carries a firearm on his person, the discharge of which is prohibited in the zone in which the person is located, unless that firearm is unloaded and rendered incapable of firing without further assembly or is unloaded and enclosed in a case. Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to limit the authority to carry a concealed firearm by a person licensed to do so. "

I guess if you have a Maine LTC, you are ok. If not, you have to have a carrying case. Not familiar enough with the local police to know how strictly the enforce that. If you walk out of the gun show carrying a rifle you just bought, but it is not locked in a case (which is in your car still), will they hassle you? I do know there is a big warning sign as you get off the freeway, on the way into town--not the friendliest thing to see coming into town!

I don't know. I've been going to that show for many years, walked down the sidewalks with rifles slung over my shoulder, handguns in hand, and have never had a problem. Me and thousands of others. There are always cops there, in uniform and out. I think it's a non-issue.

Good. I was just wondering. Not many cities go to the bother of passing specific gun ordinances and warning you about them. I would think that Lewiston, if it wants to foster business, might want to rethink this ordinance! I am sure the show could be easily moved to some other venue.

I can see an ordinance against discharge in a city. But why the weird language in the ordinance?

Good. I was just wondering. Not many cities go to the bother of passing specific gun ordinances and warning you about them. I would think that Lewiston, if it wants to foster business, might want to rethink this ordinance! I am sure the show could be easily moved to some other venue.

I can see an ordinance against discharge in a city. But why the weird language in the ordinance?

Maybe, just maybe, some ma**h*** moved up there and got on the city council......[laugh]

Went this morning. Short line when I got there but inside was mobbed. I hate ppl that stand in the aisle and chit chat with a group. Find a side spot folks! Hope idiots of that type got stuck in traffic for a long time on thier way home. Not much coming in as far as firearms go and not really much buying of guns from what I was seeing. Understandaly so with many of the prices I was seeing. Didn't stop at every table as I was looking for specifics and if none there, I moved on. Did see some pretty good deals on a few Ruger single actions and many fair deals on lots of rifles and pistols. Saw many more high and very high prices though. Brother was doing very good with his stuff (parts). Looked at a few probables but moved on. I know where the shops are and one he's had for a while. If he sells it, good for him, if not I'll go grab it in a week or two.
Parking wasn't bad really. Parked 1 block away by the athletic field. Few hours later I was on my way to lunch.

I was one of the exhibitors at the show. Here are my observations, and reflections, for reference only (as a trend at the shows in general)...
1) This show was well attended, despite the horrible economy. On Saturday, they stopped actually collecting money at the door at at 2:00, because they had exceeded their expectations for door receipts.
2) Some exhibitors reported NO SALES. People didn't seem to have any money. Lots of "tire kickers" in attendance.
3) Lots of people were surprised at the prices! Those people might have been living in a cave since the election. Not a political statement, but some weapons will be banned in the coming year, perhaps even the ammo for those weapons.
4) People are hording ammo and components for making ammo. There wasn't a single primer brought to the show by any dealer, because there wasn't any to bring.
5) Some people (visiting customers) don't care about quality, but were there looking for cheap deals on anything that shoots. The prices on the "good stuff" has gone up a LOT in the past months, even weeks. Guns that sold for $400 six months ago, were over $500 now. That's reality, and certain to continue as a trend.
6) Guns are not flowing from the factories as they were. It's almost impossible to find some guns at the shows. The current big source is from people, who need some cash, selling their guns. The dealers are taking advantage of that situation, buying low and selling high, because they know they can.
7) Talk among the dealers and other exhibitors included:

A - The assault weapon ban will likely be re-instituted within the next 12 months. It will likely include the ban of the sale of ammo for those weapons. It might extend past Ar-15 type guns, and also include semi auto pistols as well.

B - Ammo, and ammo making components is already getting scarce and hard to find. That includes loaded ammo, brass, powder, primers, and bullets, as well as the presses and dies in some instances. One of the dealers at the show does training classes. They recently did a training class for the local Cabelas store. The Cabelas employees couldn't get 9mm ammo through Cabelas to do the training. It just wasn't available. A dealer reported that he placed an order for 40,000 rounds of imported 5.56 ammo. His source delivered 14,000 rounds, and said that's all they could get. Not sure when they could fill the rest of the order. Price at the show for that ammo went from $400 a thousand to $500 a thousand in just two weeks. That's not price gouging, it's just the current cost of the ammo, as a function of availability.

C - Declining attendance at shows. Dealers will stop going to shows as they lose money, and attendees (customers) are not happy about price increases they are seeing. Some dealers bought as much in inventory at thi show as they sold. That's break even, and not good for business. Wait till the ban happens, and then reality will really set in. And, those who were too tight with their wallet (customers) will get left out.

D - Venues for gun shows. The Lewiston show was an overall success for the organizer. The places where the gun shows are held are selected because they are CHEAP places to host a large number of tables. Parking is an issue sometimes, as is crowded tables once you get inside. Expect that gun shows will be held in cheap locations in the future. Some of the more pricey places to rent might become too expensive for organizers. (Shriners in Wilmington?)

From the perspective of an attendee, I thought it was a disappointing show. If sales were down it was probably because the prices made Cabelas and the Trading Post look like a bargain. I walked in with cash in my pocket and left after spending only the entrance fee.

In the past, shows were the place where people who wanted to buy went to find people who wanted to sell. It seems like the attitude or atmosphere has really changed over the last couple of years. From a buyer's perspective, it seems like the dealers are trying to make their money by selling a few guns at a big markup instead of more guns at a smaller markup. Maybe that's just the way the market has changed, with fewer people actively buying? Maybe it's because it today's world the dealers can't afford to keep as many guns in stock as they used to?

As far as ammunition goes, active shooters are probably buying stuff direct off the net in bigger quantities than some of the show vendors. A guy who knows what calibers he shoots can buy a couple of cases and get the same deal as the show vendor who only buys in quantities of a case or two at a time. Add in the vendors' markup and there aren't many bargains to be had.

As far as venues, I always dread the show in Lewiston. The parking is bad, but I could deal with that. To me the problem is that the building is dark and dirty and stinks. Half the time you ought to have brought a flashlight see the condition of the stuff you're trying to look at.

no primers at the show? really......i better go check the 2 cases i bought to see if i was really there......i saw 2 vendors that had primers for sale.

my buddy was also a vendor at the show. he sold every gun that he brought. there were several dealers trying to cash in on the recient price gouging trend. those were the ones that didn't sell much. for example trying to sell Gali sporters for over $1000.00 when you can get them online for under $600.00 that's not the going price, that's gouging!

Well, that's what several dealers told me, and I heard it from several customers looking for primers also. You must have gotten them first thing Saturday AM? Thanks for clarifying that.

Noteworthy: That's what's happening with ammo and components for reloading..... everyone is buying as much as they can afford. I mean, time was that you'd go in and buy a thousand (sleeve) of primers.... TWO CASES!!! That's ten thousand primers. No wonder there were none left.....

no primers at the show? really......i better go check the 2 cases i bought to see if i was really there......i saw 2 vendors that had primers for sale.

RE: Lewiston

Were there any sightings of any overloaded Toyota pickups with M2 .50s mounted on them yet?[smile][smile]

Well, that's what several dealers told me, and I heard it from several customers looking for primers also. You must have gotten them first thing Saturday AM? Thanks for clarifying that.

Noteworthy: That's what's happening with ammo and components for reloading..... everyone is buying as much as they can afford. I mean, time was that you'd go in and buy a thousand (sleeve) of primers.... TWO CASES!!! That's ten thousand primers. No wonder there were none left.....

i didn't buy as much as i could afford.......i bought as much as i could find...[wink] 5k small rifle and 5k sm pistol . maybe i'll throw them on gun broker for $100.00+ a thousand like the DEALERS are doing....[angry]

Back
Top Bottom