Lever guns

I had a Henry model-X in .38/.357 on order since 2019. Got the call last week it finally came in. Got it for retail. I could easily turn around and sell it for twice what I paid. Ain't happening though.

I looked up what some "normal" lever guns are going for on GunBroker and came across this.... thing:

View attachment 748914

I just threw up in my mouth. Normally I would say "it's your gun, do as you please" but This is just pure insult to a timeless "classic"

And to think I felt like i'm insulting my Henry 30-30 Brass by adding Skinner peep sights...

bought a marlin limited edition texan octagonal lever takedown 22 in 2000 for $400 now there selling for more than $1000, taylor arms makes a great 92 takedown 16" barrel 10 rounds 44 mag $1800 not a bad price

I bought a Glenfield model 30 ( Marlin 336 ) for $50.00. All my other Marlin 336s and 1894 for under $400.
and a Winchester 94 BB in .375 win for about $ 225.

I had a Henry model-X in .38/.357 on order since 2019. Got the call last week it finally came in. Got it for retail. I could easily turn around and sell it for twice what I paid. Ain't happening though.
Weirdly enough they are like the only brand that didnt triple in price

I was browsing in Cabelas in Berlin about three years back in the gun library I noticed a Marlin 336 in one of the cases. I asked to check it out and they obliged. Upon inspection I noticed price tag of $295. It in 35 Remington and in great condition. Just a cracked butt pad. I was told it was on consignment from a former employee. It also had a Leupold 2x7 scope on it. I worked in the firearms business for over twenty years and knew what was really worth so I grabbed it. Upon further inspection at home I found by running the serial number it was manufactured pre micro groove rifling! I have had numerous Marlins and this one is a gem. I use it hunting in Maine as well others. Ya never know what your gonna run across. True value is around $1400. Their loss my gain!!

I was browsing in Cabelas in Berlin about three years back in the gun library I noticed a Marlin 336 in one of the cases. I asked to check it out and they obliged. Upon inspection I noticed price tag of $295. It in 35 Remington and in great condition. Just a cracked butt pad. I was told it was on consignment from a former employee. It also had a Leupold 2x7 scope on it. I worked in the firearms business for over twenty years and knew what was really worth so I grabbed it. Upon further inspection at home I found by running the serial number it was manufactured pre micro groove rifling! I have had numerous Marlins and this one is a gem. I use it hunting in Maine as well others. Ya never know what your gonna run across. True value is around $1400. Their loss my gain!!
Very nice!
I inherited my grandfathers 1951 336 in 30-30 a couple years ago which is pre micro groove as well. In very nice condition. I’d imagine it’s worth a good amount nowadays. IMG_1626.jpeg

Very nice!
I inherited my grandfathers 1951 336 in 30-30 a couple years ago which is pre micro groove as well. In very nice condition. I’d imagine it’s worth a good amount nowadays. View attachment 749227
This is why I don't mind dropping money on quality guns.

Besides being beautiful, unlike a POS $1500 phone that will be junk in 3 years, that handgun or rifle can be enjoyed for generations. As well as it can be use to get people off your porch. :)

I bought my Marlin 1894c .357/.38 about 15 years ago for $425.00.
My late manufacture Remlin .357 cost about that...and is really nice.

My father had a Marlin 336 he bought for 100 dollars used in 1980 off a buddy. Unfortunately (for me) it had to go to my nephew, but at least its in the family.

I just picked up these three Henry Big Boy .44 magnums in a trade yesterday. Two are consecutive serial numbers and unfired. All are in pristine condition. I would normally use my 1970s Marlin 30-30 for hunting but I may switch it up with one of these, the other two are for my wife and son. Good all around the property guns and for deer. Also, they are so dang pretty my wife said I can hang them on the wall, which she's NEVER even considered before.

Attachments

• 20230503_183913.png
    20230503_183913.png
    498 KB · Views: 41
I just picked up these three Henry Big Boy .44 magnums in a trade yesterday. Two are consecutive serial numbers and unfired. All are in pristine condition. I would normally use my 1970s Marlin 30-30 for hunting but I may switch it up with one of these, the other two are for my wife and son. Good all around the property guns and for deer. Also, they are so dang pretty my wife said I can hang them on the wall, which she's NEVER even considered before.
Nice. Are those carbines?

This thread inspired me to go look for a new Ruger made 336 Classic. Broc told me to.

Found one, just under 1K brand new and bought it. At least some people that aren't douchebags are selling them well below MSRP. Others are trying to get 1400-1500 and I hope everyone lets them rot.

More than I wanted to pay, but I'll likely trade/sell the older Remlin, which is a very nice gun as well. If my son doesn't want it.

But odds are I won't need two because when they come out with the .35Rem version I'll be getting that as well.

For those that haven't seen these Ruger made guns they are very nice, I saw one at the PA sportsmans show, better quality than Marlin or Remington ever made is what I saw.

Already have some Skinner peep for it ready to go.

Last edited:
This thread inspired me to go look for a new Ruger made 336 Classic. Broc told me to.

Found one, just under 1K brand new and bought it. At least some people that aren't douchebags are selling them well below MSRP. Others are trying to get 1400-1500 and I hope everyone lets them rot.

More than I wanted to pay, but I'll likely trade/sell the older Remlin, which is a very nice gun as well. If my son doesn't want it.

But odds are I won't need two because when they come out with the .35Rem version I'll be getting that as well.

For those that haven't seen these Ruger made guns they are very nice, I saw one at the PA sportsmans show, better quality than Marlin or Remington ever made is what I saw.

Already have some Skinner peep for it ready to go.

This guy got sub-moa groups with three different brands of factory ammo, pretty impressive for an old school lever action, even if only three shot groups:

I keep coming back to wanting a 357 lever.
Do It Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

I keep coming back to wanting a 357 lever.
Its probably the one I love to shoot the most......like shooting a .22 rifle. Love .44 mag and .357 leverguns. I will never not have both.

I've got a Rossi 92 in .44 and a Marlin 1894 in .357, and it cost me some money in and time reloading that's for sure.
But shooting them is such a great time, its hard to stop.

Henry steel big boy in .44 was my next levergun, but came across the new Marlin at a fair price, had to buy that.

Back
Top Bottom