Lever gun suggestions

Looking for suggestions on a lever gun. The purpose of the gun would only be target shooting. I've shot the model 94 Winchester and like it, but I'm looking for something cheaper to shoot. I'm leaning towards a Winchesters model 1873. My research suggests that it can fire .357 and .38 pistol ammo. Is that right, and if yes, just typical revolver ammo?

The other rifles I'm thinking about are....

Winchester model 1892
Henry Big Boy in .357 or .44
Marlin 1894 in .44

All thoughts and suggestions welcome.

I got the Rossi '92, 20" stainless steel model, in .357 which was quite inexpensive. It needs some breaking in, but overall it's really fun to shoot. I got the Skinner sights brass ghost ring which fits in the rear dovetail and works well.

The 16" model also looked like a lot of fun to shoot.

Shooting .357 has a surprising amount of recoil from the rifle, I'm looking for a pad for the buttstock. But you can shoot .38 special as well, which feels like shooting a .22 out of this thing.

If your purpose is for target shooting as your post says and something cheaper to shoot go for a henry in 22LR. The H001 is a great rifle for the money. Amazing smooth lever and accurate as hell....holds 15 long or 20 short rounds in the tube mag.

If your purpose is for target shooting as your post says and something cheaper to shoot go for a henry in 22LR. The H001 is a great rifle for the money. Amazing smooth lever and accurate as hell....holds 15 long or 20 short rounds in the tube mag.

Agreed. I have both and both are beautifully made. They are a joy to shoot.

Several lever gun threads on NES if you search around.

I would reconend a Marlin 1894c in 357, a used one with the JM mark on the barrel is going to be a better made gun than a new Remington made Marlin.

I have an Winchester made Winchester. I dont know who makes them now. Mines a 44 mag carbine. its a really fun day to splatter reduced power lead slugs off of steel at 75 yards.

However , all in all , if I were to do it again , I'd go with a full sized rifle cartridge.

FYI Current production Marlin's made in North Carolina have had some QC issues which may or may not have been resolved.

Back
Top Bottom