• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lever Action recommendations needed

I have been on the look out for a 1894 in .357 or 44.
30-30 would be cool but I would love to have a lever action and a wheel gun in the same caliber if I went all Grizzy-Adams. 44 would be ideal.

I'm a Henry fan. The last one I bought had a couple of issues, but Henry provides that same kind of attentive and effective after-sale service that Ruger does, and they just fixed it. Never heard a bad thing about their service. Can't say that for Marlin. However, the sights aren't that good on the Henry's. The .45C is a 20" model and has a Skinner receiver sight and a Lyman Globe front sight with the thin crosshair insert from Lee Shaver in it. It is sweet. The others are scoped right now.

I had a 45-70 in my hands the other week at Cabela's and found the edges sharp on the lever. The fit and finish wasn't there compared to the JM's I own.

I have both JM in 451 Marlin and 35 Rem and one post JM (Remlin) gun which is a 45-70 long barrel cowboy. The quality and fit and finish is getting better, but they definitely aren't quite there yet. The gun shoots great, cycles like there is sandpaper in the action, and there are little issues if your picky. They had 7 of these cowboys at KTP on special closeout, and I went thru all 7 of them trying to pick the best one. All had little issues related to wood metal fit, finish, etc. Nothing was major...actually the polished bluing on the Cowboy barrel is excellent....like...excellent. I wish they would have carried that thru to the receiver, lever and metal parts, as that leaves a lot to be desired...like you said sharp edges, etc.

I own a Henry 45 colt. For deer hunting I reload new starline brass with 250 grain, XTP's that are moving similar to a hot 44 mag. Great gun, excellent fit, finish and cycle. Tube magazine for hunting is not a problem. First off, if its a pistol caliber, you can load ten rounds in there if you want to...WTF. You should never need to reload for hunting. The pistol caliber action of a henry is butter. The only thing nicer would probably be an Uberti or Winch 73, which would cost double the price and then some.

Henry 30-30 and 45-70 is pretty much a copy of the Marlin design with exception of the loading gate, with higher quality. I would buy the Henry over anything Remlin.

Last edited:
I think a lot or all of the Henry's are set up as "replica" or "cowboy" guns. I wish they would come out with a true hunting 30-30. By this, I mean something like a 22" barrel, rear peep and front fiber sight, and a slim tapered lightweight barrel. A nice wood stock and case-hardened or decent blue with some decent checkering would be just great. Anyone else agree, or am I alone in this? Of course, this would have to be a Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire gun, as MA doesn't do rifles for deer.

I'm still undecided if I would prefer the curved or straight stock, and would need to try side by side.

Main purpose would be target shooting
well...a lever gun in any of the major hunting calibers is hardly a "target shooting" gun. fun maybe, for a while. you should have jumped on the henry group buy a little while ago and picked up the .22 version for plinking at the range. just my opinion.
hey, if you want a lever gun, buy one. think pre 64 winchester 94 instead of the currently produced junk. an older marlin also. at least you'll recoup your money when you want to sell.

Have a few and all are good rifles, but for different reasons. Hunting wise it's hard to beat a Winchester 94 in 30-30, but I prefer my Dad's ole Savage 99 in 300 Savage. That rifle has taken more deer then I can count. If you want a rifle/pistol in the same calibers I enjoy my Uberti 1960 Henry in 45 Colt with a couple Uberti Cattleman single action revolvers in the same caliber. If you are looking for a little more modern you can go with a Rossi or Henry in 357 mag and a plethora of 357 mag revolvers. I have a Rossi, which is a good rifle once you work on the action a little.

I think a lot or all of the Henry's are set up as "replica" or "cowboy" guns. I wish they would come out with a true hunting 30-30. By this, I mean something like a 22" barrel, rear peep and front fiber sight, and a slim tapered lightweight barrel. A nice wood stock and case-hardened or decent blue with some decent checkering would be just great. Anyone else agree, or am I alone in this? Of course, this would have to be a Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire gun, as MA doesn't do rifles for deer.

I'm still undecided if I would prefer the curved or straight stock, and would need to try side by side.

Henry makes steel/blue rifles with 20 inch barrel. Not everything is brass. Model H009 in blue. They even have a brand new case hardened receiver model out this year. I'm not sure what you mean by checkering and wood, they have some of the nicest out there...already doing it. The stock figure on my 30-30 Henry is one of the nicest pieces of wood I have in the gun cabinet.

Check out the website...

Can't recommend anything to you beyond what I'd recommend for myself.

Rossi's are cheap and have the loading gate. To me, the loading gate is an absolute necessity on a lever rifle, unless it's in an obscure cartridge that only Henry makes (.327 Magnum, .41 Magnum) or it's a rimfire.

Henry rifles are great quality for the price, I don't know how they make a lever rifle for half what the Japanese do at Miroku. I'm waiting for the .327 Henry rifles to get in stock at my preferred online stores and I'm buying one.

Stay away from any Marlin made the past 10-12 years.

I really like the Chiappa Alaskan Takedown. It's double the cost of a Henry or Rossi, but that's the price of a takedown lever rifle today.

That's about it. I wouldn't buy a new lever rifle from Winchester, Browning, or anyone else that's over $1200. I just don't think you get the value for your money.

Incidentally, Rossi's come up a lot as options, but it doesn't look like they're being imported anymore. The RossiUSA web site would only suggest that 45C models are still on the menu with them, but it's not like dealer stocks of 45C Rossi 92s have been up. Furthermore, while some parts are readily available, others simply are not, and there's never anybody touting any kind of after-sale service for Rossi's. I'd say, grab a used one if you want, but it may end up being more expensive, or at least more trouble, than the other options.

Incidentally, Rossi's come up a lot as options, but it doesn't look like they're being imported anymore. The RossiUSA web site would only suggest that 45C models are still on the menu with them, but it's not like dealer stocks of 45C Rossi 92s have been up. Furthermore, while some parts are readily available, others simply are not, and there's never anybody touting any kind of after-sale service for Rossi's. I'd say, grab a used one if you want, but it may end up being more expensive, or at least more trouble, than the other options.
I got a used Rossi 92 in 454 Casull, fun as hell for the first few rounds LOL.

Thanks, I guess the Henry does offer something pretty close to what I'd like, and the William's sights make it that much better. Do those have fiber front sights?

I don't see anybody talking about .444 here. I know someone who had that caliber for Western Mass. bear hunting.

I have a 336A chambered in 35Rem and an 1895Gbl in 45-70. The 45-70 is a hoot to shoot and with the variety of cartridges you can take down anything from a deer to a grizzly. I will say the 336 is alot smoother but 35Rem ammo is hard to find and pretty expensive.

I always thought it was 357 for cowboy matches. Can’t say for sure! I know Marlin went to Ballard rifilng due to the popularity - and complaints of - cowboys shooters.

What caliber do they typically for these cowboy matches? Doesn’t look like any recoil at all.
its not the caliber they use that is showing you almost no recoil......these guys all load powder puff loads.....the targets are close up and speed isthe game so light loads are used. 45 colt and 38 special are common.

That's what I've got on my all weather henry. Stainless steel skinner peep sight. Looks great.

Got any photos?

well...a lever gun in any of the major hunting calibers is hardly a "target shooting" gun. fun maybe, for a while. you should have jumped on the henry group buy a little while ago and picked up the .22 version for plinking at the range. just my opinion.
hey, if you want a lever gun, buy one. think pre 64 winchester 94 instead of the currently produced junk. an older marlin also. at least you'll recoup your money when you want to sell.

Oh no, a group buy on Henry .22'? Might need to turn green again. I guess it's been a while. Totally forgot.

Lever action for target shooting?
Browning BLR with a trigger job?

Supposedly this guy is the best for BLR trigger jobs

Gun Smith Service

Browning also makes a tacticool BLR :)

cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

What do you want to hunt and at what distance? I have lever action rifles and carbines from .22lr to .45/70 with round and octagonal barrels from 16" to 28". A long heavy rifle is better for shooting but a short light carbine is better for carrying.

Back
Top Bottom