Letter to the police chief

Im getting ready in next week hopefully to officially file my LTC and have written a letter to the police chief because in Brockton its a requirement. Is there anyone willing to look it over for me just to give me some input on it? Any help will be appreciated I will dm the letter to you email w.e you choose I didn't put it in the thread cause I don't want it to get to complicated chasing around different inputs at once......

anthony - go ahead and fire it over. I'll be happy to help. PM me the letter and I'll do it tonight before I log or first thing tomorrow.

Shamrock its been sent over thank u in advance... And to make it just easier im going to post it here..

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Chief Gomes,

I have lived in Brockton for over 20 years and know many people throughout the community. I am a member of the NRA and I have taken the necessary state safety course that is required for application. I also plan on continuing my training via advanced training programs and have contacted American Firearm School about their advanced classes. I have gone shooting with friends multiple times and very much enjoy it. I also have an application pending at Holbrook Sportsmen’s Club. It has come to my attention that the number of home break ins has increased significantly over the past five years, violent crimes also seem to be on the rise and having a wife, two small children and another child on the way I would like the ability to be able to protect my family both inside my house and out if necessary. I have also looked into proper lock boxes and safes to safely store the firearm from my children. For these reasons, I am requesting an LTC Class A unrestricted for all lawful purposes.

Thank you,
Anthony Michael ****
1(508)942-****

Last edited:
Sadly, Unrestricted is NOT necessary to protect your family in your home, so that letter, although good is not compelling to get an unrestricted LTC (only needed for carry outside the home). There is a sticky here with tips on such letters and Comm2A might be able to provide more input that is helpful. Check their website first About us - Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc. (comm2a.org)

Good luck.

Just add something to the letter expressing the need to CCW outside your home. What's in the letter looks fine, you just need to give a reason for "unrestricted". People are shot all the time in Brockton just on the street, walking, etc. but be a bit creative in wording. I've personally never had to justify why unrestricted, so I don't have any magic wording to use here.

Whatever happened to "for all lawful purposes"?

That's what I said on my application. It pretty much covers it all without the song and dance. Licensing authorities are (so they claim) busy - and my guess is reading about how crime is increasing in their jurisdiction (if they even bother to read the whole thing) will be interpreted in ways never intended by the author.

1.) You frequently hike in remote and wooded areas.
2.) You have taken and continue to take training classes at <insert firearms school here> in an effort to be a conscious, well informed, and responsible firearms owner.
3.) I am an active member of <insert gun club here> and frequent the range facilities as well as inform and train others.
4.) For all lawful purposes.

Give concrete reasons, just putting "FOR ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES" is not a good enough reason for any LEO that's on the fence of 1st time issuance. It's like telling them "just because", which won't fly with said LEO.

Take classes, get certificates, attach them to your package.

Know any LEO's yourself? Get one or two to write your reference letters, preferably from any that have known you a long time (high school buddies, neighborhood friends, etc.).

Any reference letter from a LEO or even better, another chief, goes a long way in standing out as a worthy LTC-A candidate.

It's sucks, but you have to play the game...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom