Letter to Representative-suggestions

This is my first post. I've been lurking here on NES for a few months trying to educate myself about gun ownership. The one thing I learned is that I have alot to learn. Anyway, I'm getting off the couch and getting involved. I'm starting by writing a letter to my state Rep. A little background. I've known this guy for years. I've seen him in both professional and social settings. I consider him a "friend"; but he is a career politician, so I know there are limits. Below is a draft of the letter I plan to send. I know there is a lot more that could be added. My worry is that I put in something that shouldn't be there, or forgot something that absolutely should be there. Feel free to criticise or comment; that's why I posted.

Dear xxxxx:

I hope this letter finds you and your family well this New Year. I'm sorry we did not have a chance to get together over the holidays. I have known you for a long time. In all those years, this is only the second time I have written you about legislation. As you know, I recently applied for my license to carry a firearm. Thank you for your offer to write a letter of reference on my behalf. Our state has some of the strictest firearm restrictions and regulations in the country. Although I applied (for a "license" to exercise a Constitutional right) in early November I have not had a response yet; even though state law requires an answer within 40 days of application. Clearly, the State is struggling to comply with and/or enforce the numerous laws already in effect. The tragedy in Newtown Ct has prompted a national discussion over "gun control". News reports are stating that "gun control" will be a topic for the upcoming legislative session. Please do not succumb to the semi-hysterical, knee-jerk reaction displayed by some of your colleagues. Please do not support any legislation which places any additional restrictions or regulations preventing the law abiding citizens of the state from exercising our right to "keep and bear arms".

The citizens of Massachusetts are already one of the most limited, most regulated, and most restricted in the country, as it relates to firearms. Clearly, what happened in Ct was a tragedy. Since then, every person with access to a microphone or a T.V. camera has offered their "solution" for how to prevent something like that from happening again. One thing I have concluded from all the coverage, is this: there is no single or simple answer. Many legislators and other people, state and federal, are using this tragedy to push an agenda for more gun control, restrictions, limitations and bans. No additional restrictions, limitations, or bans will prevent someone with criminal intent or an individual with mental health issues from accomplishing an evil plan. These additional restrictions only punish the innocent for someone else's crime. Additional restrictions on law abiding citizens, the overwhelming majority of gun owners, will not prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

Obviously, all of the issues involved in this topic cannot be addressed in an e-mail, no matter how long. If you feel that discussing this in person is more appropriate, I will be available whenever you have the time.

Yours truly,

First, are you "speaking" your friend/acquaintaince, or your elected rep? (I know that it the same person)

If it's a letter to your buddy, make it less formal...

If it's to your rep, make sure to use the correct mode of address (The Honorable Joe Smith, etc.)

If it's a letter to your rep, invest in an editor....not to slam your sentiments, but it's too long, unless they're already Pro 2A. If it's a letter to your buddy, complaining about your licensing delay, make it short and to the point (Hey, Joe, the local CoP is messing around with me in getting my LTC, in violation of the law.....)

There's nothing wrong with using a personal connection....

First, are you "speaking" your friend/acquaintaince, or your elected rep? (I know that it the same person)

If it's a letter to your buddy, make it less formal...

If it's to your rep, make sure to use the correct mode of address (The Honorable Joe Smith, etc.)

If it's a letter to your rep, invest in an editor....not to slam your sentiments, but it's too long, unless they're already Pro 2A. If it's a letter to your buddy, complaining about your licensing delay, make it short and to the point (Hey, Joe, the local CoP is messing around with me in getting my LTC, in violation of the law.....)

There's nothing wrong with using a personal connection....

Thanks for the input. Definately struggled with balance between formal and friendly. Will likely go with more formal approach since the letter will probably be read by an aide first. When I see him in person, I can get real with him. The part about my own situation was not a request for help; just wanted to point out that even in our small "green" town, compliance with existing laws is an issue. I went th H.S. with COP and I have no problem calling him directly if it seems like I'm getting jerked around. I've always had a problem with being "wordy". I'll re-write, shorten, and send. Thanks Again.

I'd recommend mailing a hard copy verses e-mail, definitely more likely to be read. I would get rid of the part about getting your ltc, not relevant and you don't want to insult government departments unless you are asking him for help with that situation. I'd say get a little more personal but stay formal, tell him why it is important for you and your family that you be able to buy whatever weapon you need to protect your family.

Back
Top Bottom