Letter to my Chief of police

7Asb.gif

Keep it simple and factual. Include any safety courses you may have taken as well as any gun club memberships. Include any reason you may have for ALP, such as carrying large sums of money at work. Remove the second to last sentence (you're pretty much telling the Chief what to do).

Refer to it as ”unrestricted” instead of “all lawful purposes”. You might also offer to take a next level, concealed carry course to get the restriction lifted (PM me if you need a course referral). Springfield primarily issues restricted licenses, but I do know people who have been issued unrestricted LTC’s and even machine gun licenses. Good luck.

Maybe address him by his title, for starters.

That's where I stopped reading.

Then I got bored and went back and stopped again when I saw it was a rough, rough draft and hadn't even been proofread yet. If I were in the position to make a decision on an LTC based on that treatise - I would deny it, suspend the driver's license, vehicle insurance, homeowners insurance, grocery store loyalty card, American Express, AAA membership, PTA board positions, and everything except the library card of the author.

Well.

The whole second paragraph... OP, you’re not going to be the lone voice in the wilderness that changes this dude’s mind about suitability, and if he was inclined to agree with any of that second paragraph he’d have issued you an unrestricted license in the first place.

Nuke it.

Emphasize your training and situational awareness. De emphasize god. That’s my advice.

Maybe address him by his title, for starters.
yeah, for sure. i wrote a letter to the chief a while ago (i think it was required when i applied for my machine gun license) and used a business format heading, it's below as an example.

July 5, 2016

Chief Robert J. Ferullo
Woburn Police Department
25 Harrison Ave.
Woburn, MA 01801

Dear Chief Ferullo,

I like it.
Sounds like it's from the heart.
yep, which can be a good thing. but...i would eliminate the line with "so in this instance there is no ground basis.....etc." to me, it sounds like you're getting a little pushy and telling him how to do his job. you never know how he'll take that.

Another poster mentioned it but I will echo the idea that you should highlight what makes you "qualified"...training, past record, frequently practicing safe shooting at <insert shooting range here>. If you hold any other non-resident licenses definitely mention that. There isn't a lot of actual substance in the letter as it is currently written.

You could also include a line about being willing to setup a meeting or have a call to discuss your request.

I read this as your saying you live with your parents and grandparents?

But your position is head of household? That seems to be the major reason to carry?

Use a few more sirs and chiefs in there.

* then tell him 60 miles north he can’t do shit to you and you are leaving and taking your tax dollars with you.

Gotta remember Barbieri has an ego and giving him direction of what ought to be or should be done will not end well. Definitely get rid if the ALP terminology and ask for no restrictions. I would offer to meet or call to further discuss any options. Offer to take training courses or whatever would make him more confident in removing the restrictions.
Also, verify if he is the one approving the ltc’s. I’m pretty sure under Fichet it Deputy Macfarlin handling them.

Ill add that I agree with most of the advice and feedback so far, except for the guy that said he likes it.

Id ditch the whole thing. Dont ask rhetorical questions, ditch the god stuff (no offense to your religious beliefs) and emphasize that you are safe and responsible with firearms as mentioned above.

You are not going to convince a chief who generally issues restricted to treat you as special by writing a letter that could apply to anyone. You need to make a case that you are special - unavoidable risk; important/famous community member; public official who votes on the chief's contract; etc.

You are not going to convince a chief who generally issues restricted to treat you as special by writing a letter that could apply to anyone. You need to make a case that you are special - unavoidable risk; important/famous community member; public official who votes on the chief's contract; etc.
This. I am almost certain I have read parts of that letter verbatim elsewhere, did you copy/paste parts of it? You also have some random capitalization of nouns and some other minor formatting issues that I would definitely correct before submission. It sounds like the letter could apply to anyone rather than addressing your specific case. I also would drop the "deny my second amendment [sic] right" part, I have a feeling that will leave a sour taste (it reads like an understated "What part of SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED do you not understand?")

Good luck.

Lost interest when you started blabbing about your parents and grandparents protection.

What's your plan there? Mom calls to tell you Grandma has an armed intruder in the kitchen giving her the queer eye? Family protection is fine, usually the one you cohabitate with. This beginning portion starts off as you wanting to play police and looking for a chance to shoot someone and would absolutely get filed in the shredder if it came across my desk.

If you are applying in a restrictive town, try to answer the question:

"What makes you different from all the other applicants who indicated they wanted an unrestricted LTC and were told they get the JV version?".

I think my Grand Daughter wrote a letter just like this in school,she is 8 years old. So you live at home with your Grand parent,and parents.The bad guy is going to try to give you a booboo,the police can't do their job.Most of all your waiting around for someone to attack you,so you can shoot them. I know it's frustrating trying to beg for a right,but you have to make it short,and sweet.

I think my Grand Daughter wrote a letter just like this in school,she is 8 years old. So you live at home with your Grand parent,and parents.The bad guy is going to try to give you a booboo,the police can't do their job.Most of all your waiting around for someone to attack you,so you can shoot them. I know it's frustrating trying to beg for a right,but you have to make it short,and sweet.
Sorry broken english I tend to write how I speak. Its just a draft.

I was not trying to be insulting,and I understand how hard it is to come up with the words that will get that restriction removed.It might be a good idea to find a gun club near your area,and talk to any of the guys that have a non restricted LTC,and see how they did it.They might have those magic words that the chief want to hear.

Back
Top Bottom