• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Letter to Elizabeth Warren

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I am sending the following letter by US Mail to Elizabeth Warren, and a similar one to Senator Kerry.

I believe the advice I have seen here that a physical letter on paper and a phone call holds much more weight than email.

Please respond with real letters to this crap. Here are the addresses

The Honorable John Kerry
United States Senate
218 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-2101

The Honorable Elizabeth Warren
United States Senate
SR-C2 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-2102

The Honorable Elizabeth Warren
United States Senate
SR-C2 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-2102 January 19, 2013

I believe that your effort to ban so-called “high-capacity” magazines for semi-automatic rifles will have no effect at all on violent crime, but will unconstitutionally infringe the right to self-defense of tens of millions of lawful gun owning United States citizens.

The FBI statistics show that in 2011, there was 323 murders committed with a rifle of any kind (not just semi-automatic with greater than ten round magazine) but 496 murders committed with hammers and clubs. Out of a population of almost 350,000,000 (that’s ⅓ of a billiion people), and with an estimated 100,000,000 rifles already in our hands, this is in fact a very rare event. We must not let the awful but extremely rare mass shooting dictate an emotional overreaction which does nothing to increase safety, but which impedes the rights of millions of responsible Americans.

Yet your dismissive quote on the matter makes rifle crime out to be an enormous concern:
“Responsible gun ownership has a reasonable place in this country,” Warren said, flanked by Menino. “But no one needs military-grade assault weapons, and no one needs Rambo-style high-capacity magazines to protect a family or to hunt game.”

I must disagree with your assessment, I believe that a semi-automatic rifle with a magazine larger than ten rounds makes an ideal resource to protect my family. Should, God forbid, someone ever need to fire a rifle in self-defense on a dark night to protect their home from possibly multiple intruders bent on harming them (in an area where immediate police response could be unavailable) it is easy to imagine that most shots fired would miss, as is seen when the police defend themselves with their “Rambo-style assault weapons”.

As you probably know, the majority of the violent crime in our country is not evenly distributed, but takes place in inner-city gang warfare, in large part fueled by the profits to be made from the failed War on Drugs. The gang members will not obey your new laws either.

I urge you to reconsider your position on this matter. Banning semi-automatic rifles with interchangeable magazines will have no effect on violent crime, as was seen after the lifting of the 1994 assault weapons ban, and serves only as another incremental stepping stone to further disarmament of the law-abiding population, as was seen in the UK and Australia.

Thank you for your time,

Henry Minsky

it would carry more weight if it were someone who supported the constitution or was at least on the fence... not these two pieces of shit.

ugh, please dont remind me she represents this state. [puke2]

But that is an excellent letter, I will do the same even though it will be talking to a brick wall.

Live shot and Liawatha! Don't worry Liawatha is asking Deval what she should say. And he is asking Rahm.

it would carry more weight if it were someone who supported the constitution or was at least on the fence... not these two pieces of shit.

Agreed.

I still applaud the OP's efforts.

But although I most definitely have contacted my State Rep & Senator, I can't bring myself to imagine even ten thousand letters changing Fauxcahontas or the "War Hero's" minds.

Thanks for the addresses! I'm drafting my letters now, I'll drop them in the mail Monday.

Someone here had mentioned use of a postcard... I think I'm going to try that later this week as well.

Keep fighting the good fight!

thank you for taking the time to write the letters and post here. I still have hope that if we keep contacting them by all means in a civil manner they will take notice or at least realize that a larger portion of voters than they had thought were concerned with this issue.

Here's a letter I wrote to the governor only to get a automated response pretty much telling me my opinion doesn't matter:

Dear Governor;

After reading your recent proposals on modification of the current Massachusetts gun code, I felt compelled to write you this email. I'm a police officer in a south shore town in Massachusetts and like many other officers I've spoken with, we all feel it is important to let you know how most police officers feel about your recent proposals. Every day we as peace officers are entrusted by our government to carry a high capacity handgun and a so called "assault rifle" to protect the public, however, if your latest proposals are enacted into law, the same government that entrusts us with this important task will advertently prevent these same officers from owning the same type of firearms we use to carry out our daily duties, to defend ourselves, our homes and our families. I hope you can see the irony with this. We thus hope that you do the right thing and invest more of your legislative power to pursue revamping the mental health system and making certain that violations of current firearms laws are enforced, and properly prosecuted, which I can tell you from experience isn't happening now. Punishing law abiding citizens and making them into criminals for possessing certain types of firearms in our opinion is not the answer.

Respectfully,

Sgt --------------

Here's mine:

As your constituent, I wanted to convey my concern over proposed gun control legislation that touches upon every aspect of licensed gun ownership. The proposed legislation will do nothing to prevent mass murders, school shootings, or criminal violence but it will disarm and handicap law abiding licensed gun owners from protecting themselves, their families, homes and businesses.

In response to a tragic event, some have called for additional gun control measures, like Senator Diane's Feinstein's bill that would stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of semi-automatic defensive firearms as well as ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I oppose this bill and similar legislation, and believe federal controls often create burdens for law-abiding citizens and infringe upon constitutional rights provided by the Second Amendment. In my view, protecting the rights of citizens and providing for their security against foreign enemies and domestic criminals is the most important duty of government.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution recognizes the right to possess and carry the most commonly available weapons. Law abiding citizens have a fundamental right to protect themselves and their families. The purpose of the Second Amendment (as all the other amendments) is to prevent the government from infringing on the civil rights of law abiding citizens.

The proposed anti civil rights legislation only burdens and penalizes licensed gun owners that have already been trained in firearms safety, finger printed, photographed, investigated by the Massachusetts State Police, the Massachusetts Firearms Record Bureau and approved by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as being suitable to use, buy, transfer, sell and possess firearms. All studies and statistics show similarly licensed gun owners in the U.S. are the safest and most law abiding population, even more than law enforcement. Licensed gun owners are not the problem and should not lose their civil rights due to the actions of criminals or terrorists who do not obey the already existing 20,000 gun laws.

Massachusetts, like CA, IL, and Wash DC, already have the most restrictive gun laws in the country and it has not reduced violent crime or illegal firearms. Gun, magazine and ammunition bans and restrictions and gun free zones have not worked either.

If magazines holding more than 10 rounds are not useful for self-defense and defense of others, shouldn't the same limit be imposed on police officers and bodyguards (including the Secret Service agents who protect the president)? And if the additional rounds do provide more protection against armed assailants, it hardly makes sense to cite the threat of such attacks as a reason to deny law-abiding citizens that extra measure of safety. These restrictions would punish law-abiding gun owners while failing to stop tragedies like the massacre in Newtown, Conn.

The number of privately owned guns in the U.S. is at an all-time high, upwards of 300 million, and now rises by about 10 million per year. Meanwhile, the firearm accident death rate has fallen to an all-time low, 0.2 per 100,000 population, down 94% since the all-time high in 1904. Since 1930, the annual number of firearm accident deaths has decreased 81%, while the U.S. population has more than doubled and the number of firearms has quintupled. Among children, such deaths have decreased 89% since 1975. Today, the odds are more than a million to one, against a child in the U.S. dying in a firearm accident.

Firearms are involved in 0.5% of accidental deaths nationally, compared to motor vehicles (29%), poisoning (27%), falls (21%), suffocation (5%), drowning (3%), fires (2%), medical mistakes (1.7%), environmental factors (1.3%), and pedal cycles (0.6%). Among children: motor vehicles (34%), suffocation (27%), drowning (17%), fires (7%), environmental factors (2.3%), poisoning (2.2%), falls (1.5%), firearm (1.5%), pedal cycles (1.4%), and medical mistakes (1.3%).

I urge you to oppose all aspects of additional gun control legislation. If the President and the Congress are really concerned about the lives and safety of law abiding citizens it would make more sense removing restrictions and impediments to legal firearm ownership and facilitating the right to self defense.

Please let me know your position on this legislation and the outcome.

Thank you.

How is it that Massachusetts is "gifted" on having a track record of electing ass holes like these two? Now the shit has been spilled over into New York.

How is it that Massachusetts is "gifted" on having a track record of electing ass holes like these two? Now the shit has been spilled over into New York.

Are you kidding? Youse guys started dis mess.

EDTA: Sorry, didn't notice the red reps, I guess you are a dink.

Back
Top Bottom