Letter of Recommendation?

Greeting, newbie posting for the first time.

I've taken the class and have the application to apply for my pistol permit. The instructions say that two letters or recommendation are required. I've really got no idea what the requirements are for such a letter, although I imagine I could come up with something that sounded OK. Any one have any specific ideas about what it should recommend and say that the recommendation is based on?

Thanks,

Dan

I've taken the class and have the application to apply for my pistol permit. The instructions say that two letters or recommendation are required. I've really got no idea what the requirements are for such a letter, although I imagine I could come up with something that sounded OK. Any one have any specific ideas about what it should recommend and say that the recommendation is based on?

Thanks,

Dan

you dont need letters of recommendation.

Thanks,

Dan

What town are you applying for? There is no state requirement for letters for an LTC application but some towns impose that.

What town are you applying for? There is no state requirement for letters for an LTC application but some towns impose that.

I'm applying in Greenwich, and the instructions that came with the application states the requirement for two letters of recommendation.

My suggestion is to comply, even though CT law has no requirement for such letters of recommendation. I know of several CT municipalities that request them. The letter can be relatively brief. The writer should state their relationship to you, the length of time they've known you, make a statement about your character, and offer to provide additional information upon request.

DJMC,

The letter can say, "dear sirs, i have known XX for YY number of years. During that time he has always been a responsible, level headed person. I am happy to recommend him for apermit to carry pistols and revolvers."

Thats it.

Don

I had a best friend (LTC A holder in MA), my sister-in-law from NH and my "big sister" from Ct write my letters.
Even though it said it couldn't be from family, I asked a Captain (who I knew from the citizens police academy) and he said it didn't matter, no one reads the letters anyway.
No one called any of my references.
BTW, since I'm from a red town, it wouldn't have mattered even if I snagged a letter from a cop or a politician, I wouldn't have gotten an unrestricted.

I had a best friend (LTC A holder in MA), my sister-in-law from NH and my "big sister" from Ct write my letters.
Even though it said it couldn't be from family, I asked a Captain (who I knew from the citizens police academy) and he said it didn't matter, no one reads the letters anyway.
No one called any of my references.
BTW, since I'm from a red town, it wouldn't have mattered even if I snagged a letter from a cop or a politician, I wouldn't have gotten an unrestricted.

The OP is in Connecticut.

While I'm not suggesting that you become a "test subject" there is NO requirement for ANYTHING other than your application at the police department, fingerprints, and a couple of checks. These random, additional requirements are nothing more than "application creep" and have begun to show in a few different communities around Connecticut. There is even a new law that's being submitted (supported by the CCS and gun-owners alike) that would prohibit communities from adding their own “standards" to firearms and the application process. There are some towns right now that are requiring an interview with a detective. Some are asking that you get "permission' from your neighbors or multiple referrals such as yours. This is ALL bogus and only a delaying tactic and is NOT good.

I, personally, would respectfully inform the instructor and the police department that there is no requirement in the State of Connecticut DPS regulations to have to produce any types of recommendations or any other extra information other than what the state asks for. If they give you a ration of crap, well, you can comply but understand that every time someone does, it's going to become more of a precedent for future applicants.

As a perfect example, permit holders began to conceal carry their pistols more and more and towns became more populated. Eventually everyone carried concealed. Well, out permit process says ZERO about concealed carry and open carry was perfectly legal. As a perfect case for "Use it or loose it", we can no longer open carry because it's "disruptive" even though there is NOT ONE WORD in the regulations about it. Even now, the democrats in the legislature have actually submitted a bill REQUIRING concealed carry which would forever change the law as it stands.

So, do what you must to get your permit. Referral letters are not the worst thing in the world but when PDs begin requiring proficiency tests at a range or public posting in the newspaper of new applications for pistol permits, we'll be able to look back on these times as to why it happened.

Sorry for being so long but it's really easy to overlook the importance of drawing the line in the sand before we become like our neighbors to the North.

Rome

Thanks to all. I avoided stirring up any fuss, did what was asked and today I got my stte permanent. The temporay from the town came through two weeks or so ago. I'll add the text from my letter if I remember in the next few days.

My suggestion is to comply, even though CT law has no requirement for such letters of recommendation. I know of several CT municipalities that request them. The letter can be relatively brief. The writer should state their relationship to you, the length of time they've known you, make a statement about your character, and offer to provide additional information upon request.

NO!!! Quit encouraging this bullshit towns impose to make it harder for people to get permits. It is NOT required and even the SFLU/BPFE says that not providing the letters is NOT a reason for permit denial NOR is it a reason to delay issue. Besides, how the f*** is a new CT resident supposed to get letters of reference for a FIREARM carry permit? I sure as hell wouldn't write one for someone I barely knew. Can't be family members, either, so co-workers and neighbors? Uh yeah, exactly the people I do NOT want to know I own firearms and intend to carry them as a new resident.

These letters aren't just "Joe is a good guy" type thing. They have to state that the person understands what the letter is for (applying for a firearm carry permit) and they have to provide contact info and be available for a phone interview, too.

The sheet in my old town where i got my permit asked for references but when i handed it in the cop said he did not want them, just the app..this was 6 years ago or so...got my permit in 2 weeks..

The text of my letter, which worked, edited to not disclose names:

To Whom It May Concern:

(Applicant's name) has asked me to provide a recommendation for his application for a Connecticut pistol permit. I am not related to (Applicant's name). We first met in ______ at school and were classmates for ____ years, until graduation in ______. We have remained friends during the following years and saw each other regularly, often multiple times a month.

I believe (Applicant's name) to be of good character and that he will accept the responsibilities involved seriously, and know of no reason why he should not be granted a pistol permit. I recommend that you approve his application.

Sincerely,

Name of Person Writing Recommendation

Last edited:
The text of my letter, which worked, edited to not disclose names:

To Whom It May Concern:

(Applicant's name) has asked me to provide a recommendation for his application for a Connecticut pistol permit. I am not related to (Applicant's name). We first met in ______ at school and were classmates for ____ years, until graduation in ______. We have remained friends during the following years and saw each other regularly, often multiple times a month.

I believe (Applicant's name) to be of good character and that he will accept the responsibilities involved seriously, and know of no reason why he should not be granted a pistol permit. I recommend that you approve his application.

Sincerely,

Name of Person Writing Recommendation

That might work for a long time CT resident with friends here, but it most likely won't work for a new CT resident. The letters have to come from CT state residents.

Back
Top Bottom