Letter of personal reference

garyz

NES Member
Been ask by a friend to write a letter of reference/ recommendation. Or what ever it is. As he’s applying for his gun license. Have know him for years. No issue doing it. However I have no idea what to write. Anyone willing to share some guidance on what to write
Thanks
Gary

Shorter is better...

~ His relationship to you and years known to you.
~ If mature and responsible, note that, if not just say "Good Person"
~ Finish with: "I recommend So-and-So, without hesitation"...

Thank the Officer for his Time & Consideration and provide your full name, occupation, contact info.
If you are licensed... include that info.

"calm, stable personality suitable for firearms ownership" might fit in there somewhere. Unless, of course, he's a maniac.

I've written quite a few LoRs and never even mentioned firearms. They have all worked...

Think of it as the same as writing an Employment Recommendation, only easier...

why am i so cynical you all ask....i don't know, when grown american adults who supposedly went through the public school system and got themselves a 12th grade education can't pen a f***ing simple letter of recommendation. makes one wonder what we all did before al gore and his internet.

time to take a break from nes before i stroke out.

March 12th 2011

In regard to Joe Shmoe’s Firearms License Application

X Town Police Department
1 Main Avenue
Town, Massachusetts XXXXX

To Whom It May Concern:

Jo Shmoe has asked me to provide a recommendation letter for his Massachusetts Class A Firearms license. I am not related to Joe but have known him since we were classmates at X High School and consider him a very close friend. He is a respected family man and a hard worker who is extremely reliable, trustworthy, and composed.

I believe Joe to be of good character and that he will accept the responsibilities involved in firearm ownership seriously and know of no reason why he should not be granted a Massachusetts Class A Firearms license. I am confident that Joe Shmoe will be a responsible firearm owner and carrier.

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions at: XXX-XXX-XXXX

Sincerely,

Best Friend X
4 Easy Street
Town, MA XXXXX

Last edited:
Here. We all need to stick together vs making this shit hard on each other. I've used this six times already, same town.

Chief xxxxx
address
xxxxxx
Your name and address
Chief xxxxxxxxx,

I am writing on behalf of xxxxxxxxxx who is applying for his unrestricted License to Carry. I have known xxxxxxxxx for over xxxxxxx years and I can confidently attest to his outstanding character.

As a friend and colleague, I have known xxxxxxxx to be always safety-minded while practicing good judgement. xxxxxxxxx understands the seriousness of owning a firearm and has prepared accordingly.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Here. We all need to stick together vs making this shit hard on each other. I've used this six times already, same town.

Chief xxxxx
address
xxxxxx
Your name and address
Chief xxxxxxxxx,

I am writing on behalf of xxxxxxxxxx who is applying for his unrestricted License to Carry. I have known xxxxxxxxx for over xxxxxxx years and I can confidently attest to his outstanding character.

As a friend and colleague, I have known xxxxxxxx to be always safety-minded while practicing good judgement. xxxxxxxxx understands the seriousness of owning a firearm and has prepared accordingly.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Love it! "If they like forms... give them forms!"

Not for me. My Name and Reputation? My wording...
Fair and agreed. I’m just feeling abundantly lazy tonight. My thoughts were along the lines of having the friend format the basics of the letter (CLEO info, addressing, and maybe some basic verbiage, etc) then I could go in and edit/revise/reformat as needed to my liking. I agreed Its a bad idea to sign off anything without knowing what it is if ones name is on the line

Fair and agreed. I’m just feeling abundantly lazy tonight. My thoughts were along the lines of having the friend format the basics of the letter (CLEO info, addressing, and maybe some basic verbiage, etc) then I could go in and edit/revise/reformat as needed to my liking. I agreed Its a bad idea to sign off anything without knowing what it is if ones name is on the line
The fact that we even need a LoR makes me pissed off, but if one must be written... this should suffice:

a4-cowhide-paper-vintage-cover-travel-journal.jpg

The fact that we even need a LoR makes me pissed off, but if one must be written... this should suffice:

View attachment 410361
There is nothing in MGL that requires a LoR, or allows the LO to add requirements. But good luck if you refuse, can you say unsuitable. Extra requirements will continue until someone refuses, gets denied, and fights it all the way.

Is there no way for someone to take the practice of adding requirements to court without first being denied? Asking you lawyers out there. Because if you do refuse the LoR you can bet the suitability denial won't say it's because of that, it'll say some BS about the applicant behaving strangely.

I was asked to write such a letter and actually got use "since he was born" to describe how long I have known him

Man I know you can't write certain things. But the troll in me would be dying to write about my friends obsession with vigilante justice.
My initial draft for the guy I new since birth had something about him being able to cover my six any time, but he did really appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom