• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lets talk CZ's for a moment

I am thinking I want a CZ75 when the flu blows away. What do you guys and girls think of CZ's? What's good? What's bad? What are their other full size, all metal models? Anyone use the Apex kits on a CZ?
Thoughts everyone.

I like how they are put together. Good weight to them. Don't own one, but have shot. Would definitely get one if they were more available in MA and I had more $$.

Love my CZ's. I have a number of CZ75 varieties. Well built. Easy to shoot. And for many folks just a natural point of aim.

When I take a newbie to the range I'll usually bring a number of 9mm pistols for them to try. At the end I'll ask them which one they liked. And more often than not it's the CZ75B.

I am thinking I want a CZ75 when the flu blows away. What do you guys and girls think of CZ's? What's good? What's bad? What are their other full size, all metal models? Anyone use the Apex kits on a CZ?
Thoughts everyone.

What are you going to do with the gun? Range toy, carry, compete? etc.

CZ makes a great gun, wouldn't hesitate to buy more. (I have a Phantom II and a Shadow I SCT) Good luck finding them right now though, or likely 3-6 months from now, too. Low bore axis, decent ergonomics, usually pretty damned reliable, too.

Apex kit? Never heard of that for a CZ 75. Most people just send their guns to these guys if they
really need to... but honestly, out of the box a lot of them are pretty damned good....

-Mike

CZ P-01 was the first gun I purchased when I got my ltc. Shot it many times since then and I don't see ever giving it up, great gun. Feels amazing in the hand, is accurate, and reliable. If I had to nit-pick a negative, the stock sights are not the easiest to pick up visually but that's a relatively easy fix and its not so bad, I still haven't gotten around to changing them out.

I have plenty of great striker fired polymer guns but at the end of the day there's something wonderful about an ergonomic metal frame da/sa.

just a range toy and castle defense. Cajun looks like a really good resource. Although as I look at the prices for a new CZ I can see I'll be buying used again.

The CZ I have shot feel phenomenal in your dominant hand, but meh in the support hand. Trigger guard is just to low. I didn't like how you have to split your ring and middle finger to get a high grip... They just didn't work for me, which is a shame as they are great guns

Sorry, ignore me, too much time stuck at home and not on the skeet field. Had shotguns on the mind. Carry on.

Last edited:
BTW you don't need an Apex kit for a CZ, at least not the ones I've shot.

After I tried a CZ, I was glad I didn't bother buying a Beretta with its mushy trigger.

Google CZ USA and you,ll see all their models, Cajun gun works and cz custom for upgraded parts. Apex is just getting into cz and haven't done to well from what I,ve heard. Cz,s will be hard to get for a while, their headquarters in kc is closed for at least 2 weeks due to Wu flue.

Great firearm.

Interesting to hear the beretta's trigger described as mushy. I would describe the 92's da pull as a long, rough stack fest. And that's even with a D spring swapped in. The sa I find crisp and light after the easy, effortless pre travel. I wish Beretta would look into redesigning the hammer profile to get rid of the stack fest. Even though a S&W revolver has a heavy trigger, it's smooth and consistent. Yes, I know I'm comparing apples to oranges

Interesting to hear the beretta's trigger described as mushy. I would describe the 92's da pull as a long, rough stack fest. And that's even with a D spring swapped in. The sa I find crisp and light after the easy, effortless pre travel. I wish Beretta would look into redesigning the hammer profile to get rid of the stack fest. Even though a S&W revolver has a heavy trigger, it's smooth and consistent. Yes, I know I'm comparing apples to oranges

the 92 trigger mechanism provides the smoothest double action possible. the overall throw is longer than something like a Sig P226 but there should be nearly zero perceivable stack and pull weight can be brought below 8 lbs while maintaining reliable ignition. it is a phenomenal design that shits all over a Sig or CZ although these pistols are still excellent. Stacking in a 92 or PX4 is abnormal.

Interesting to hear the beretta's trigger described as mushy. I would describe the 92's da pull as a long, rough stack fest. And that's even with a D spring swapped in. The sa I find crisp and light after the easy, effortless pre travel. I wish Beretta would look into redesigning the hammer profile to get rd of the stack fest. Even though a S&W revolver has a heavy trigger, it's smooth and consistent. Yes, I know I'm comparing apples to oranges
I've shot three or four Berettas and found all of them to have inferior triggers to CZs. They are certainly reliable though. Were they some kind of gimped MA model? Maybe. But in the end, I was glad I didn't buy a Beretta.

Sorry, ignore me, too much time stuck at home and not on the skeet field. Had shotguns on the mind. Carry on.

tell me more about their shotguns? I love their handguns and rifles and I have a lot of them in my safe, but no shotguns.

i keep thinking I want to try shooting clays, so tell me about CZ O/U’s

Another fantastic smith who specialized in CZ handguns is CJ Maven

He’s tuned up several of mine and they are smooooooooth

The CZ I have shot feel phenomenal in your dominant hand, but meh in the support hand. Trigger guard is just to low. I didn't like how you have to split your ring and middle finger to get a high grip... They just didn't work for me, which is a shame as they are great guns

My only complaint at all with my S1 is even with the extended safety, I find working the safety to be awkward. It's sort of in the wrong position vs say a 1911 or 2011 safety lever.

-Mike

tell me more about their shotguns? I love their handguns and rifles and I have a lot of them in my safe, but no shotguns.

i keep thinking I want to try shooting clays, so tell me about CZ O/U’s
My original post was not favorable to CZ shotguns. My suggestion is to pick up a 686 or 725 and shoot the snot out of it until you’ve saved up for a K or P gun. You gain nothing besides a bit of marketing and show between those two levels, and in many cases lose quite a bit of reliability.

After I tried a CZ, I was glad I didn't bother buying a Beretta with its mushy trigger.

Depends on the Beretta, the last 92X I dry fired was a quantum leap ahead of a regular stock 92. No f***ing creepy as f*** SA trigger. I think they also make a decock only version in regular production.

I still think that even then a CZ is a better deal overall, though.

-Mike

CZ75B one of the best guns I’ve owned.

I had one in .40, a two-tone model, didn't really care for it all that much.
Although the ergonomics were very nice, and it fit my hand like a glove, I never really did cozy up to it.
The metal finish was a bit crude, the DA trigger was horrible, and the SA trigger wasn't anything special either.
I can say it was very reliable, never had a jam or other malfunction, but it had what I can only describe as a "trigger slap" that made it uncomfortable to shoot after a few mags, and those were post-ban 10 rounders too.
I currently have a Jericho 941 (stainless with a single action trigger) which is essentially a CZ75 clone, it even takes CZ mags.
The trigger action is so much better, the difference is like night and day.
I like this one so much better than the original CZ, but it's not my favorite 9mm, that still remains my SIG 228.

Last edited:
I had one in .40, a two-tone model, didn't really care for it all that much.
Although the ergonomics were very nice, and it fit my hand like a glove, I never really did cozy up to it.
The metal finish was a bit crude, the DA trigger was horrible, and the SA trigger wasn't anything special either.
I can say it was very reliable, never had a jam or other malfunction, but it had what I can only describe as a "trigger slap" that made it uncomfortable to shoot after a few mags, and those were post-ban 10 rounders too.

These guns aren't meant to exist that way. Nobody buys a .40 CZ. Do they even make them anymore? [rofl] (I'm going to guess the answer is no). A CZ is a 9mm handgun. Period, end, full stop.

-Mike

These guns aren't meant to exist that way. Nobody buys a .40 CZ. Do they even make them anymore? [rofl] (I'm going to guess the answer is no). A CZ is a 9mm handgun. Period, end, full stop.

-Mike

They make a Target Sport Orange in .40 S&W... I've seen one only ONCE in the flesh.

Back
Top Bottom