• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Let's talk about AXES

M80

Your not complete and you don't exist unless you have an good AXE. It's gotta be one of the best tools a person can have for staying alive. It can produce the wood to make your shelter. It can produce the wood to give you fire. It's a wild game processing/butchering tool. It's a knife. It's a powerful hammer. And it's a weapon.

It may seem like a simple object BUT the axe is a very complex thing. There is SO much to know about axes. So watcha gonna use should all hell break loose and it comes down to YOU and BOB? Personally.... I've got many axes as I like to have the right tool for the job. But if all hell breaks loose, it's Gransfors Bruks all the way for me! Those axes kick zombie anus! They are the finest axes in the world. Yeah they are expensive BUT nothing can outdo a GB axe. NOTHING! Those axes are amazing! Of all my GB's, I'd grab my wildlife forest axe. It's small but I think I could conquer the world with it. And it looks good hangin on my bob.

So what is your survival axe of choice? Let's hear it. [popcorn]

I meant the shape, not the fiskars tool per se. I'd make one myself from 1/4 1095 and do a differential heat treat on it, and make it full tang with a g10 handle.

I like the Estwing Campers Axe , too. I keep one in my cabin and one in my house.

In my BoB I keep a fold-up bow saw. A sharp saw is lighter and will do things with less effort than an axe many times.

during the big ice storm a few years ago, i chopped my way out of westminster/hubbardston with that estwing axe. chopped about 3 hours of trees until i got ahold of my brother with a chainsaw. cut myself clear of about a mile of trees before i met up with him. estwing=light, cheap and sharp enough. id trust it to get me through for a while.

I have 2 axes from Gransfors Bruks, their American Felling Axe and their large splitting axe. Both have outlived 2 Fiskar chopping axes.

I also have an Iltis Oxhead splitting axe that now resides at my parents house. I prefer the Gransfors because the handle is a better fit for me and under the head is wrapped in metal

Not the cheapest axes around, but they hold an edge and will last a lifetime even if abused.

for legit? I've had a few of those newer Fiskars tools and they've all been shit... hedge trimmers and a pole saw specifically. Can't hold an edge and just seem all-in-all cheaply made. Replaced them with some really old (well made) tools from yard sales.

Fiskars spitting axes are amazing. I have 2 (X27 and X17).....highly recommend.

I am going to get the X7 hatchet next after splitting the past two years with my others and seeing just how well they hold up.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Products/Axes-and-Striking-Tools

Last edited:
Y'all need to be 'bout that Best Made life Best Made Company ? Axes

Just a friendly fyi... Best made company doesn't make a single axe. Those axes heads are made by Council Tool. Council Tool heads aren't even all that great. All he does is put a handle on it and paints the handle. Then he jacks up the price and call it a best made. They are a rip off.

I prefer a mil spec machete with a hand guard. I bring it camping and fits in the backpack nicely

A machete is a good survival tool as well. And sometimes that is my tool of choice when I go in the woods. But sometimes you just need an axe and I just wanted to have a little discusion on it. I just bought a couple of machetes in fact. I picked up the Kabar grass machete. It's actually very heavy duty. REALY good quality metal. I also just got the new gerber bolo machete as well. Good sheath but cheap metal. But when I needta process some wood, it's gotta be an axe.

I have a Gerber Axe with a polymer handle that is indestructible. Its been camping with my for about a decade and does not have a spot of rust on it at all. However, I like my Sven saw 10,000 times more that my Gerber.

A machete is a good survival tool as well. And sometimes that is my tool of choice when I go in the woods. But sometimes you just need an axe and I just wanted to have a little discusion on it. I just bought a couple of machetes in fact. I picked up the Kabar grass machete. It's actually very heavy duty. REALY good quality metal. I also just got the new gerber bolo machete as well. Good sheath but cheap metal. But when I needta process some wood, it's gotta be an axe.

What do you recommend then?

Gransfors Bruks are great axes.

But in my opinion go to a yard sale and try and find a old Plumb ax. You can usually pick these up for under 5 bucks. They are form the 60's or 70's. The steel is much better and will hold a better edge for longer. Don't worry to much about the condition they can easily be restored and maintained whit little elbow grease. This all I use now.

Gransfors Bruks are great axes.

But in my opinion go to a yard sale and try and find a old Plumb ax. You can usually pick these up for under 5 bucks. They are form the 60's or 70's. The steel is much better and will hold a better edge for longer. Don't worry to much about the condition they can easily be restored and maintained whit little elbow grease. This all I use now.

+1

Also wetterlings makes a nice axe, but the old Plumb axes are good quality. The hard thing is finding a store that carries the gransfors bruks or wetterlings.

+1

Also wetterlings makes a nice axe, but the old Plumb axes are good quality. The hard thing is finding a store that carries the gransfors bruks or wetterlings.

I was wondering how long it would be before somebody mentioned Wetterlings! Lol. Those are decent axes. I've owned a few. The quality of the metal is pretty good. The handles are so so. They are made kinda rough and not with much precision. But for 70 bucks or so... you can't expect much from an axe. You get what you pay for. For the money, they are good.

Back
Top Bottom