• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Let's say your Glock is very, very well-worn...

... what parts typically get swapped out to breathe new life into it?

I found a pretty cheap, well-worn Glock. Just wondering what usually goes on these things and how much it would cost to get it up to par.

Send it back to Glock for the once over. They will replace most internals for free. Refinish for another 60 bucks, add in a new set of night sites for another 60. If they find a flaw in it, they will replace the whole thing.

Send it back to Glock for the once over. They will replace most internals for free. Refinish for another 60 bucks, add in a new set of night sites for another 60. If they find a flaw in it, they will replace the whole thing.

Really? So who is their American distributor? I wouldn't send it back to Austria, would I? I suppose I'd also be paying an FFL transfer fee both ways? Obviously, I have no experience with Glocks.

You would snd it to Georgia, Glock USA has a big factory in Smyrna. I don't know about the mechanics of sending it, but I'm pretty sure you can send your own gun to a manufacturer and have them send it straight back to you.

Posted from my busted old G2 on T-mobile's sorry network.

Last edited:
Really? So who is their American distributor? I wouldn't send it back to Austria, would I? I suppose I'd also be paying an FFL transfer fee both ways? Obviously, I have no experience with Glocks.

Have a good FFL send it to Glock, cost, not much (wahtever the FFL charges for shipping). **** refinishing, not necessary. It's a Glock.

-Mike

Just keep in mind, if they need to replace the frame they'll hold it until they come across a preban one. They won't send you a brand new Gen 3 frame as an MA resident.

Your probably better off taking to a gun smith for a tune up and if its that worn duracoat it. Stateline does a good job, there are a few other great gunsmiths around

gfs arms tec or business end customs they do gun kote or duracote work for a good price they'll do barrels slides or frames as for internals just youtube how to detail strip the glock which is easy btw and you can look at every piece of it and decide what needs to be replaced. then you can order everything from a barrel to a tiny spring from glock at a decent price or things such as the striker you could go after market on. you get to know your gun and will have a sense of workmanship when its all done! the way you want it may I add!

I would send it to glock for all new wear parts. Then when it got back i would replace all the parts they didnt. They are simple to detail strip. Dont bother with glock refinishing it. Its just a cold blue you can do yourself its not the same tough factory finish like when you get a new gun.
If your going to carry it dont bother and if you want a nice finish cerakote it ior something like that .

And be careful when you say cheap if you put a lot of money in it. New glocks can be had for 500 if you shop around wisely.

Thanks everyone. I don't care about the looks, I'm only concerned with the functionality.

Maybe I should just take it apart and learn how to strip this thing down to its pieces? That's tempting.

You can send it yourself via UPS or Fedex overnight, you cannot use the Postal Service. By doing so, Glock can return it back to your home when finished (even in Massachusetts). It requires an adult sig at the door when it arrives back so they won't just plop it on the door step when it comes home. I just did this a few months ago with a Glock. You need to go to their website if you choose to send it and download the correct form that's basicly a price sheet/order form and return that with your pistol. Glock says turn around is 6-8 weeks, mine was done in 5. I've put up a link somewhere for that.

I shipped UPS from the Chelmsford station, no horror stories, the woman was very good, didn't bat an eye or get taken aback, I needed to tell her what was in the box for insurance. She told me it had to go overnight and confirmed there was no ammo in with it by just asking. No ID was asked for, etc. You sometimes read some screwed up experiences of some folks but none here. A normal shipping transaction.

Just some added info regarding Glock. I requested UPS for the return but they told me they just use FedEx for that. They won't do a heads up email when it's returned nor if you call to find out where along it is will you lean anything substantial except for it's moving through the system.

I'd send it, they go through it and replace any worn parts as needed, cost is nominal, and they pick up return shipping cost which was 2nd day Fedex.

If your local to the north shore, I can meet up with you, go over it, order whatever parts should be replaced, and if you want, I can cerakote the slide and install new sights.

Thanks everyone. I don't care about the looks, I'm only concerned with the functionality.

Maybe I should just take it apart and learn how to strip this thing down to its pieces? That's tempting.

if you can't detail strip a glock then don't ever detail strip anything else, which is to say, it's easy

springs: get a spring kit and replace them all

anything else as needed: firing pin, mag followers, slide lock, slide stop, which the latter two are often more cosmetically dinged up but not really in need of replacement.

Do Glocks ever actually wear out? I mean what are we talking here 50,000+ rounds?

I think they gummed with lint and crude multiple times before actually wearing out. The spring kit is cheap enough, I usually do it for some used pistols I buy just for kicks and piece of mind if I'm going to do a detail strip. Most other stuff I would think is just cosmetic unless, like you say, you have 50k+ rounds through the barrel.

Do Glocks ever actually wear out? I mean what are we talking here 50,000+ rounds?

I know the recoil spring on my G22 needs replacing after however many rounds its seen in the last 20 years, most of which it spent as a police gun. It still runs, but it can be a little wonky.

Which is to say it's going to be an ugly gun whether it's refinished or not.

I kid, I kid. Just stirring the pot.

Lol
I need a glock. I miss those ugly ****ers. Definitely do the parts replacement yourself though OP. They are easy to detail strip. I may have a PDF of my armorers manual somewhere. Shoot me a pm to remind me if interested.

Which is to say it's going to be an ugly gun whether it's refinished or not.

I kid, I kid. Just stirring the pot.

For what it's worth, I like the fact that my Glocks are ugly, because then I don't worry about scuffing up the finish or anything like that.

-Mike

Replace all the springs and check the extractor and firing pin for chips and replace if needed. I usually replace the spring cups too when I do the firing pin spring just for the hell of it.

Replace all the springs and check the extractor and firing pin for chips and replace if needed. I usually replace the spring cups too when I do the firing pin spring just for the hell of it.

There are 2 types of Glock Armorers:
1. Those who have launched spring cups into outer space
2. Those who haven't YET

[rofl]

Just keep in mind if you send it to Glock you probably won't see it back for 3 months..

Got mine back in less than a week!!!! I couldn't beleive it, I was thinking they didn't find a problem??? It was FTF at least twice per mag. Now, no problems since getting it back. Got new sights too. The only downfall is, i sent it UPS and it cost me 50 bucks to ship, next time i'll go to an FFL.

Shoot it. It didn't get like that because it was giving someone a hard time.

I think we have a winner. I just ran a hundred rounds through this thing and it shoots like a champ. My only complaint is my hand is kinda small and I have to reposition my hand to reach the magazine release. I believe a 27 fits my hand better. It ran all the rounds without a single hiccup, so I bet it's just a workhorse gun that will keep on pounding rounds.

I would send it to glock for all new wear parts. Then when it got back i would replace all the parts they didnt. They are simple to detail strip. Dont bother with glock refinishing it. Its just a cold blue you can do yourself its not the same tough factory finish like when you get a new gun.
If your going to carry it dont bother and if you want a nice finish cerakote it ior something like that .

And be careful when you say cheap if you put a lot of money in it. New glocks can be had for 500 if you shop around wisely.

The "toughness" is the metal treatment - Glock call calls it "Tenifer", but it's pretty much the same as what the industry knows as "Melonite". The black coloration is not what provides harness or corrosion resistance - it's just decorative.

I think we have a winner. I just ran a hundred rounds through this thing and it shoots like a champ. My only complaint is my hand is kinda small and I have to reposition my hand to reach the magazine release. I believe a 27 fits my hand better. It ran all the rounds without a single hiccup, so I bet it's just a workhorse gun that will keep on pounding rounds.

All the controls on a Glock are in the exact same position. Doesn't matter if its a full size or compact. The only difference you might find for ease of hitting the mag release would be a SF model, a Gen4, or a G36.

Back
Top Bottom