• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lethal Force Institute, Massad Ayoob

I took the LFI1 course in 1998. It was five days (40 hours) and about $600.
Overall it was a great course and although there are many other "schools" around, I would consider LFI as one of the "original" and best out there.

Mass was there for the entire 5 days with an assistant, Rick and shot the courses of fire with us. To many people, he comes across as arrogant and even made reference to him being called "an arrogant little arab", but, regardless how you take him, he knows his stuff. You will be well instructed if you take this course.

How do I transport by gun to the class from Massachusetts?

The non-res permit for CT looks complicated.

Can I rent a Glock 21 at the facility where the class is held?

I'm looking into going to this.

The non-res permit for CT looks complicated.

Can I rent a Glock 21 at the facility where the class is held?

I'm looking into going to this.

A few years ago I looked into a class in CT and the CT laws. I confirmed that the hosts provided the trainer with a gun for use in the classes. IIRC, w/o a CT permit a NR was only allowed to possess a handgun in CT for a match, they didn't seem to have any other exemptions.

Please do NOT take my word for this (I am NOT an expert on CT law), but check it out thoroughly. Start with www.handgunlaw.us and check the state links for the details.

LFI-1 is well worth taking, if there is a way around their anti-gun laws.

LFI-1 -- two thumbs up!

I've taken LFI-1 and LFI-2. I've also taken classes at Sigarms Academy, Cumberland Tactics, and Smith & Wesson Academy. In my opinion, no one comes close to Ayoob when it comes to covering the ethical and legal issues of deadly force. I strongly recommend LFI-1. Ayoob has seen first hand the legal aftermath of the use of deadly force; few other instructors have that experience.

You will spend a fair bit of the class watching Ayoob's videos, which are of fairly poor production quality but quite informative and entertaining. The purpose of that is not so that Ayoob doesn't have to do work. Instead, the purpose is so that if you ever get into legal jeopardy, your defense team might have the possibility to show those same videos to the jury, to demonstrate just what your training was concerning deadly force.

Ayoob will also give you a good grounding in defensive shooting (drawing, holstering, speed reloads, etc.). While I have moved away from some of his techniques, specifically his "crush grip", he will give you a good basic grounding to start from.

If I had it to again, I would take LFI-1, skip LFI-2, and then take a class from Cumberland Tactics (Randy Cain).

One more thing, Ayoob's language can be a bit crude at times. He is a very entertaining lecturer, however.

A few years ago I looked into a class in CT and the CT laws. I confirmed that the hosts provided the trainer with a gun for use in the classes. IIRC, w/o a CT permit a NR was only allowed to possess a handgun in CT for a match, they didn't seem to have any other exemptions.

Please do NOT take my word for this (I am NOT an expert on CT law), but check it out thoroughly. Start with www.handgunlaw.us and check the state links for the details.

LFI-1 is well worth taking, if there is a way around their anti-gun laws.

I called http://www.defenseassociates.com/index.html who is hosting this class. I spoke to one of the instructors and he said that a couple years ago the law changed to allow a person who has a permit in his own state to transport a gun into CT for training. I found this:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0116.htm

Looks like it wont be a problem.

ok- but that link doesn't indicate this. At least that I could see.

You are right. I'm still searching. I'll keep the thread posted when I get better info. I found this...

CONNECTICUT--A permit is required to carry a handgun in a vehicle. Nonresidents may carry a handgun in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in a firearms competition or an exhibition provided they are residents of the U.S. and have valid permits-to-carry issued by any other state or locality. No permit is required when changing residences, provided the handgun is unloaded and cased or securely wrapped. A special permit is required to possess an assault weapon. An "assault weapon" is any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semi-automatic or burst fire at the option of the user, or any one of more than 5 dozen specified semi-automatics. Contact the Connecticut State Police Special Firearms Licensing Unit for further information at (860)685-8290.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

I'll call the CT State Police in the morning...

Last edited:
I've taken LFI-1 twice, about 5 years apart, the second time as a refresher before taking LFI-2 the following week. I've also taken other courses with John Farnam, Chuck Taylor, Louis Awerbuck, and others.

Ayoob's course is unique. I rate it as the FIRST course you should take before taking any others, and the ONE course to take if you AREN'T planning to take any others.

Getting a CT non-res permit was easy and straightforward, as I recall.

Frank at Defense Associates is a fine instructor in his own right. He is one of Chuck Taylor's assistant instructors, authorized by Chuck to teach basic and intermediate level ASAA courses on his own. Chuck then comes in and teaches the advanced and master level courses.

Regards
John

So again, one cannot transport a handgun THROUGH CT unless one has a carry license?

So basically CT is saying FU to FOPA 86. There are dozens of states where possession of a handgun does not require ANY kind of license. So let's say you drive from PA through CT on your way to ME and don't have a PA CHL, you are breaking the law? Not according to FOPA.

So again, one cannot transport a handgun THROUGH CT unless one has a carry license?

So basically CT is saying FU to FOPA 86. There are dozens of states where possession of a handgun does not require ANY kind of license. So let's say you drive from PA through CT on your way to ME and don't have a PA CHL, you are breaking the law? Not according to FOPA.

Huh? How did you get that? Ayoob is teaching the class in CT. Reptile lives in MA and wants to take the class in CT. This would be traveling from MA to CT, not traveling through CT.

Huh? How did you get that?
I got it from TWO POSTS RIGHT ABOVE MINE.
CONNECTICUT--A permit is required to carry a handgun in a vehicle. Nonresidents may carry a handgun in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in a firearms competition or an exhibition provided they are residents of the U.S. and have valid permits-to-carry issued by any other state or locality.
FOPA violation.

This document will be in my hotel room...

You store it in your hotel room which becomes your temporary domicile.

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by:

1. any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, 

2. or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly,

3. or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise,

4. or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business,

5. or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another,

6. or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired,

7. or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides,

8. or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, 

9. or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. 

For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver.

History: 

1959 act exempted parole officers from provisions of section; 

1963 act exempted persons en route to or at competitions, meetings, exhibitions etc. from provisions of section if persons are U.S. residents and have permits from other states; 

P.A. 81-45 clarified exemption for sheriffs, parole officers or peace officers by specifying those of this state, or of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, and added exemption for federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent; 

P.A. 81-222 provided an exemption for any person carrying a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority or carrying an antique pistol or revolver;

P.A. 88-128 added Subsec. (b) to require a permit holder to carry his permit while carrying his pistol or revolver;

P.A. 99-212 replaced "carrying" with "transporting" in list of exceptions other than in exceptions for sheriffs, parole officers, peace officers, federal marshals, federal law enforcement agents, members of the armed forces and members of any military organization, added exception for transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of "taking part in formal pistol or revolver training" or "repairing such pistol or revolver", revised exception re out-of-state resident by replacing condition that such person have "a permit or license to carry any firearm issued by the authority of any other state or subdivision of the United States" with condition that such person "is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides", added definitions of "formal pistol or revolver training" and "transporting a pistol or revolver" and made provisions of section gender neutral; 

P.A. 00-99 deleted references to sheriff in Subsec. (a), effective December 1, 2000;

P.A. 01-130 amended definition of "transporting a pistol or revolver" in Subsec. (a) re providing for a locked container if motor vehicle does not have compartment separate from passenger compartment; 

P.A. 03-19 made technical changes in Subsec. (a), effective May 12, 2003.

The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by

7. or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides
Now this makes more sense. The way I read this, CT law does not violate FOPA. I am permitted to possess and carry (without license) in both Ohio and in most other states.

Back
Top Bottom