• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Let’s talk rifles...

Ruger or Tikka make some excellent bolt guns that you can find between $350 and $600. If you select a caliber such as .223 they remain very afforadable to shoot and also are highly upgradable if you choose.

The downside with those options are rings and an optic are still required. That means a $300+ in glass and rings.

Under $450 many places and offers an good rate of twist for a variety of bullet weights

Ruger® Ruger American Rifle® Predator Bolt-Action Rifle Model 26944

First focal plane rifle scope with lifetime warranty and a bunch of other features not normally found at that price point.

Athlon Optics 4-14x44 Talos BTR Side Focus Riflescope 215028 B&H

I see alot of recommendations for the 10/22, I also considered it. But, it seems most people get the 10/22, get rid of the barrel, stock, trigger, and build on the receiver. At that point I would just buy Kidd and be done with it. It all depends on what you are looking for in a gun. If you want to hit a soda can at 50 yards and aren't concerned about grouping, I think a factory 10/22 meets the requirements. If you are are looking for tiny groups, then it will likely not meet your needs. I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it.

If tight groups and high precision are the most important factors then get a bolt action. If popping off rounds casually while hitting most anything reasonable under 100 yards and learning the fundimentals of utilizing modern firearms get a semi auto. A Ruger 10/22 is perfectly capable and needs nothing out of the box. It’s a perfect starter rifle that can be found a cheap price.

The only thing I can add here is to congratulate you on planning in getting a rifle.

And then I just want to add, don’t worry about the price of a gun ever. Ever! It’s not the price of the gun that will break you. It’s the ammo consumption that will put you on the verge of bankruptcy. And if you buy the proper rifle for you, you’ll be eating a lot of ammo.

.22, ar, whatever. Just get yourself one.

I see alot of recommendations for the 10/22, I also considered it. But, it seems most people get the 10/22, get rid of the barrel, stock, trigger, and build on the receiver. At that point I would just buy Kidd and be done with it. It all depends on what you are looking for in a gun. If you want to hit a soda can at 50 yards and aren't concerned about grouping, I think a factory 10/22 meets the requirements. If you are are looking for tiny groups, then it will likely not meet your needs. I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it.

Modding is about the journey, which is why it’s so hard to sell a modded rifle, car etc.

Ok. Gonna change the direction of the thread a bit. Through reading all the comments & having talked with a few of you on PM I think for my immediate needs something in a .223 would be my best option to start. Let’s say $500 and under would be my ideal price range. Who’s got recommendations?

If you do go for bolt action... depending on your budget.. you might consider something with iron sites. A lot of people spend a bunch on the rifle, then cheap out on the scope. Then they have lousy results. In a scoped gun the scope is at least as important as the gun. You can’t cheap out on the scope and have good results.

Ruger, CZ and just about any bolt gun is capable of outshooting the shooter

I would also suggest looking at Savage.. butt ugly but possibly the best out of the ox shooter and Greg deal out there.

Based on some of the comments in the thread (I am sure tongues firmly planted in cheeks), I will assume that you have already completed the other steps necessary in prepping for the inevitable hordes of marauders that will be plaguing....um, Holden

A complete upgrade of your modest colonial or cape to a Ballistic Level 5 hardened home; using a multi-hazard engineering approach to protect against a wide range of threats including forced entry/assaults, climate change, chemical / biological / radiological / explosive (CBRE) agents, air-blast, ground shock, penetration, fragmentation and damage to the structure and equipment due to explosive loading

Or you could by a Ruger 10/22 and have some fun plinking away at targets, protecting your garden from ravenous woodchucks / bushy-tailed tree rats and the such.

And a little advice: DONT.SHOOT.THE.RABBIT

Odds are, given you geographical location and the current geopolitical climate, that rabbit is likely The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog.....shooting it will just piss it off. Unless you skip the rifle and go straight to the The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch..accept the loss of your zucchinis and move on

Ok. Gonna change the direction of the thread a bit. Through reading all the comments & having talked with a few of you on PM I think for my immediate needs something in a .223 would be my best option to start. Let’s say $500 and under would be my ideal price range. Who’s got recommendations?
- no frills complete upper $300
- no frills 80% receiver $60
- lower parts kit $50
- no frills fixed buttstock/buffer tube assembly $70
- sights $70

All together $530. There are dozens of guys here that will lend you tools and jig for the lower. Also more than one guy in this thread alone who have offered to have stuff shipped to their out of state address for others. Ultimately depends on your risk tolerance.

Thank you for your service. Now lighten up Francis...

Pointing out a half dozen responses that have little or nothing to do with the original question is my idea of internet fun. I do try and be informative too. Package deal.

Actually I had 2 bacon cheeseburgers and onion rings whilre pretending to be my comic book hero. Failing to see the irony there but then again I didn’t serve.

Bottom line is this new gun hobbiest needs a .22 rifle. End of story.

Nick Fury, I was also trying to be informative and have some fun. I wasn’t upset just confused by the screen name vs the statement. BTW I also loved those comics and still have them.

The irony since you didn’t get it, is using the name Nick Fury to call men that have lived by the rifle “commandos” as an obvious slight, when in fact they are also offering educated and experienced advice to the OP, maybe if none of them were actual veterans it may have been more appropriate.

The fact that you don’t agree with those responses shouldn’t have enough bearing for you to negate the advice of those men who do have real world experience with the rifle that they suggested to the OP.

That said, it didn’t spin my hat too hard, and I’d still enjoy meeting you one day and sharing a couple cold beers and conversation. All good here brother, we’re on the same side.

My wife tends to think the only adversity we’ll ever encounter is a full vacuum bag. So she doesnt understand the need for multiple guns.

Unfortunately that’s pretty common as we know. Lot of people just don’t see the need for firearms at all or are deathly afraid of them. I don’t get it, can only assume they’ve never been exposed to a really bad situation, guess that makes them the lucky ones in some aspect.

Based on some of the comments in the thread (I am sure tongues firmly planted in cheeks), I will assume that you have already completed the other steps necessary in prepping for the inevitable hordes of marauders that will be plaguing....um, Holden

A complete upgrade of your modest colonial or cape to a Ballistic Level 5 hardened home; using a multi-hazard engineering approach to protect against a wide range of threats including forced entry/assaults, climate change, chemical / biological / radiological / explosive (CBRE) agents, air-blast, ground shock, penetration, fragmentation and damage to the structure and equipment due to explosive loading

Or you could by a Ruger 10/22 and have some fun plinking away at targets, protecting your garden from ravenous woodchucks / bushy-tailed tree rats and the such.

And a little advice: DONT.SHOOT.THE.RABBIT

Odds are, given you geographical location and the current geopolitical climate, that rabbit is likely The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog.....shooting it will just piss it off. Unless you skip the rifle and go straight to the The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch..accept the loss of your zucchinis and move on

I’ll be honest. I feel that what I currently own for home protection is more than adequate for where I live. I also fully respect that others feel differently especially those who have served and have witnessed what these weapons can do. That being said I feel anyone quoting Tim the Enchanter must be wise beyond their years.

I went into a bike store recently and see a guy struggling trying to put a brand new mountain bike into his hatchback. I ask him if he needs help and of course he says no hes all set. I spend five minutes in the store only to come out and see this guy still struggling with his new purchase. Again I ask if he would like my help (Because I’m silly like that) and he ponders for a moment before saying yes. I hit the quick releases on the brakes and hub, pull off the front wheel, and insert his probably first ever owned bicycle into the back of his car...

How this does or does not apply to this thread I will leave that up to my internet brethren.

Modding is about the journey, which is why it’s so hard to sell a modded rifle, car etc.

I'm sure it is... But sometimes you just want to get there...I'm considering a Kidd gun for the next 12-24 months. But, till then, I need better optics on my guns...my CZ 455 shot ok, and I have added minor things to it. Different stock and trigger spring. Besides this, it is bone stock. And it shoots for sure. Some like to tinker, some like to shoot...I want to get a gun, load it up and shoot. That's why a custom gun is so attractive to so many people.

OP, for a 223 in that price range, I think Cabelas has Rem 700s for sale around $400. But, I can't speak to the quality of the new Rems. I have a 700 from the 80s that is so well done, fit and finish is great.

OP, I just thought of this option for you if you want a bolt action. I hear great things about the Howa guns. I have seen these barreled actions as low as $280 on sale. Worth waiting for.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...threaded-heavy-barreled-action-prod84745.aspx

I have one of the 18.5" 308 actions and a MDT chassis that I have ordered with all of the Brownells coupon codes they have released over the last 2 months. These actions are a hell of a deal to get into a rifle that aught to be more accurate then I will be able to shoot it. Here is a picture of what I have put together, just shy of $800 minus scope and rings and the parts I had in my AR parts bin. There are Hogue stocks for cheap, and I could have easily had this rifle shooting for less then $500. It is def a cheap rifle, and I had to do some fitting on the AICS mags to get them to feed proper, but it hits most of the points I wanted in a 308 bolt gun. I call it the HOWAnda Civic, I am sure precision nerds would likely try to shame me for for it, but I dig it so far.

I am waiting to actually get to shoot it for groups with some different ammo before I make a thread about it. It is 31" folded.

IMG_20180619_165611699(1).jpg IMG_20180619_165554618(1).jpg

I have one of the 18.5" 308 actions and a MDT chassis that I have ordered with all of the Brownells coupon codes they have released over the last 2 months. These actions are a hell of a deal to get into a rifle that aught to be more accurate then I will be able to shoot it. Here is a picture of what I have put together, just shy of $800 minus scope and rings and the parts I had in my AR parts bin. There are Hogue stocks for cheap, and I could have easily had this rifle shooting for less then $500. It is def a cheap rifle, and I had to do some fitting on the AICS mags to get them to feed proper, but it hits most of the points I wanted in a 308 bolt gun. I call it the HOWAnda Civic, I am sure precision nerds would likely try to shame me for for it, but I dig it so far.

I am waiting to actually get to shoot it for groups with some different ammo before I make a thread about it. It is 31" folded.

View attachment 238641 View attachment 238642
If she shoots as well as she looks you’ll have a winner on your hands.

If you’re drawing the line at $500 I would say the Kel-Tec SU16. 5.56/.223, accepts stanag magazines, has a rail to mount optics. Not as robust as an AR, and I think it has a pencil barrel, but it would suit your needs.

10/22 is great because of lots of reasons. Factory trigger is not great, but you can upgrade to a great trigger for under $100 (guys advertise on eBay
who will do it just send them your trigger pack).

Iron sights on the 10/22 suck, but you can get an aperture sight upgrade like this Williams Gun Sight Ace In The Hole Scope Rail With No Front Sight Thompson Center/CVA 70978 Gun Model: T/C And CVA, $5.16 Off w/ Free S&H
for about $50 or $60.

You can put an inexpensive scope on. And the Ruger factory magazines work very well and are not expensive. You can upgrade to a better target barrel and stock at a later date.

Not sure yet what my target intentions are, which is why I don’t want to spend a lot, but also don’t want to go too small & wish I went bigger. It’s disappointing to hear that the Nikon scope sucked. I’m an Optician & they have some really nice lenses. That was what caught my attention.

Not sure yet what my target intentions are, which is why I don’t want to spend a lot, but also don’t want to go too small & wish I went bigger. It’s disappointing to hear that the Nikon scope sucked. I’m an Optician & they have some really nice lenses. That was what caught my attention.
Optically it’s not bad , clear glass for its price point , generous eye box. It’s for me just not a scope for any type of accuracy say vs my my 1/8 moa target dot scope. Which also has its faults as sometimes I can’t pick up the dot quickly.
Don’t think so much of “powerful” if your intending to punch paper and put your shots where you want to you want accuracy plain and simple.
I shoot air rifles to keep my fading skills from going completely. I just don’t have the time to go to the club enough to practice.
My daisy 853 is plenty good enough to show lack of applying
Again hit a CMP clinic and have some fun while your deciding

Last edited:
my friends are happy with hitting a full size silhouette out to 100 yards me I want a chance to hit the eyes ears and belly button and then hitting it as far as I can actually see it.

Optically it’s not bad , clear glass for its price point , generous eye box. It’s for me just now a scope for any type of accuracy say vs my my 1/8 moa target dot scope. Which also has its faults as sometimes I can’t pick up the dot quickly.
Don’t think so much of “powerful” if your intending to punch paper and put your shots where you want to you want accuracy plain and simple.
I shoot air rifles to keep my fading skills from going completely. I just don’t have the time to go to the club enough to practice.
My daisy 853 is plenty good enough to show lack of applying
Again hit a CMP clinic and have some fun while your deciding

I have a friend who swears by Nikon. I don't know, never had one. Have you tried a Mueller? They have a nice tactical 8-32x that is reasonably priced. Not a bad scope. Alot of rimfire guys use it. I had one that failed. They replaced it with a brand new one in less than a week. Very happy with their service.

I have a Leupold that failed and I sent it in. It has been a week so far...got an email saying they will send it (or replacement) in 24 days.

But, for the more refined palate, the Vortex Viper PST G2 is amazing.

For semi auto centerfire your options are:
-Preban AR - $$$$
-fixed magazine AR - imho not useful for self defence, range toy only.
-Other semi-autos (for now) still legal in MA - Min 14, Tavor, Bushmaster ACR, M1A

My suggestion would be to get a currently MA legal centerfire semi auto because
-very real chance they will be banned in the near future
-will not be gimped like fixed mag AR or overpriced like Preban AR
-good for everything - learning rifle, shooting, etc.

Next on my list would be a 22lr semi auto because they may also get banned in the near future.

Bolts and levers - low risk of those getting banned in the next 50 years or so.
How can you honestly recommend a shrubmaster ACR to anybody? That rifle is tard stupid WRT to how far off the track and overpriced it is. With overpriced secondary products from Remington. Freedom Group Remington (And current bank owned Remington) can burn in hell. Get a Mini if you're full on budget. Otherwise Get a Tavor/X95, Bren or MCX. M1A if you want a .308. You'll get a lot more for your money than anybody's budget AR (500$ preban ii) that they're asking 1500$ for.

Back
Top Bottom