1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Let’s see the hard use beaters

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SHOCKNAWE, Jun 26, 2019.

1. SHOCKNAWE

SHOCKNAWE NES Member

BD07EE14-7D5B-459C-A375-F4CCD70DB624.jpeg 637AC424-EECE-4335-9D5E-A8306100B889.jpeg I respect fellow knife collectors however I’m a guy who uses my knives rather than buy them and not use them. Let’s see some beaters! Here is my workhorse the Cold Steel Recon 1, it’s too big for EDC but I do carry it from time to time if I’m in the woods or need it at work otherwise it’s stationed in my truck full time. This thing is a beast, one time I went to my Sisters Boyfriends house last winter and they wanted a fire but had no kindling, I actually used this to split logs, I tapped it all the way through a small log and made kindling, everyone was impressed, I highly recommend this knife. No doubt the steel is “Soft” but it takes about a minute to get surgically sharp again, the locking mechanism is as strong as you can get.

cams and Dradian like this.

2. cams

cams NES Member

Pretty impressive batoning wood with a serrated edge. That’s something I’ve never tried before, did the teeth catch with every whack? Break off at all like sharks teeth? Sounds like a fine, tough knife.

SHOCKNAWE and greencobra like this.
  3. SHOCKNAWE

SHOCKNAWE NES Member

As you can see in my pics the serrations are all good, there was enough flat edge meat to tap into the wood for kindling. I can’t say I actually batoned the wood, just put the flat edge on the end and tapped it all the way down to split the wood. It’s a SOLID piece

cams likes this.
  4. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

I have a crkt m-16 that I used to carry. Love the blade. Now I use smaller knives and carry at least one gun.

SHOCKNAWE and cams like this.
  5. cams

cams NES Member

Gotcha. Guess in my head I was imagining using that blade to halve and then quarter some logs, sounds like you used it on the edges tho to just trim off some small kindling? I’m tracking now. Tough blade for sure.

SHOCKNAWE likes this.
  6. Atlas

Atlas

8AE9EBAC-2476-43ED-BEB3-7E7C79F6C951.jpeg 21E49E46-C214-4613-B22A-94933BD80E33.jpeg Esee Izula with a custom sheath. This has been an excellent knife, one of these days I’m going to grab a damascus one.

SHOCKNAWE and cams like this.
  7. SHOCKNAWE

SHOCKNAWE NES Member

Nice Izula! I have some Esee’s and like them, the only drawback is they rust unless you stay on top of them. I line the blade with olive oil and have never had a problem with rust