Let’s build Brit bullpup SA80

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
SA80 … arguably the worst service rifle (but absolutely NOT an “assault rifle” though), samples in US are far too few to pass own judgement without listening to people with pony tails. So I’ve had this itch for a while and unlike other itches neither vodka nor antibiotics seem to help.
3.png

Once again somebody (Brownells) comes out with square bolt AR and I figure we give it another shot.
4.png

I started with BRN-180 upper thinking that I’d slap SA80 lower harder and faster than the Queen whipped that Hollywierd tart. But it looks like instead of lofty straight bottom on the upper, it was made to mate with AR15 (totally different sex team) so the lower will need to be thinner in parts except the mag well.

In other words, BRN-180 lower needs to be as thin as AR15 receiver. SA80 lower is much thicker and … longer (and arguably harder too)

5.png

Jolly good then old sports, let’s get some meldonium tea and polonium crimpets and get to work, eh? (… shit, that’s Canuck Brit … oh well)

g1.gif

First things first, we need to get this f***ing upper right.

The charging handle swapped out for SA80 late charging handle (yeah, Germans had to fix it for Brits)

7.png

SUSAT. Yeah. That SUSAT is was real Queen’s property or some shit. Molon labe royal a**h***s, molon f***ing labia! ; )

8.png

9.png

Also the flash hider needs to be changed. Unfortunately paint shines harder than tomcat’s balls. And it’s not just the fancy dress up either …

10.png

11.png

12.png
Oh, fock, fock, you cheeky buggers ... roit then ...
13.png
14.png

15.jpg

Now that upper can legit mate with lower the easy part is bending some alloy steel

16.png

The SA80 airsoft "lower" is pretty good copy dimensionally according to people who have demil of the real thing. Lining up by the mag well, you can see that real SA80 lower is actually bigger and wider. Also mag well is not autistic.
17.png

Eventually receiver had to be Trudo-ed ... Ralf Northam-ed ... ? ... I painted it black.

18.png

Here again, you can see the difference to good quality airsoft (yeah, I know, I'm gay) copy.
Keep in mind that's 18" upper (f*** you Brownells) and total length is 28" so it has all the potential to be "barely legal".

19.png

Here is a comparison to 16" gAyR lined by mag well.

20.png

But really how can you compare?

6.png

Obligatory ...
21.png

g3.gif

Jokes aside ... here is another joke:

Bolts from BRN-180, AR-180, T2 (yeah, Australians are autistic and need to retain their guide rod) and SAR80

23.png
BRN-180 bolt is small and shriveled, but the real joke is that from all the normal bolts, Australian rotates in opposite direction ... coreolis force and sheeeit!

22.png
f***ing A comrades!

24.png

So what's conclusion? I think this upper sucks. Bolt is too light, travel too short, lower too small, it's like doing appendix surgery through a**h***. Next time we drink more vodka and build real rifles.

25.png

TGIF comrades!

Boris's version is like ten times as reliable and deadly as a real SA80![rofl2]
Even his spoon is deadlier than the real rifle!![smile]

Poor Brits should at least adopt his toothbrush bayonet!
Oral hygiene is a killer too![crying]

Major British envy going on OP . . . what gives Soviet chutzpah not doing nyet?

How does the ar180 fit in? you mention near photos of the diffrent bolts shown.
what's common, didn't ar180 have 2 generations.
I love this since not an AR.

How does the ar180 fit in? you mention near photos of the diffrent bolts shown.
what's common, didn't ar180 have 2 generations.
I love this since not an AR.

The bolt and recoil system of the AR18 was readily adapted for the SA80 since it didn’t require a buffer tube.

The “second generation” 180 was really just adapted for the civilian market.

Back
Top Bottom