Less creepy question this time.

Handgun mounted lights: yes or no

• Yes

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 40.0%

• Total voters
No, just the AR.
So if there's an intruder at night, they'll be getting filled with 5.56 instead of 9 or 45 as they would during the day.
I checked it once recently a few months ago too, totally dead battery, that would have sucked. Not sure how that happened, I never use the damn light.

Sometimes both...depending on if I’m carrying my shield or not because that’s the only pistol I carry that has a weapon mounted light. All the rest are home defense guns...pistols of both the pistol caliber kind and the rifle caliber kind, cleverly scattered throughout my home (but hidden and not near any entryways.

G17 with light is my bedside Gun. My G19 and Shield are my carry guns and neither has a light
was same, but after i got p365 i bought this thing for it, and it is very small and light, so, it is not adding any trouble:

Streamlight 69284 TLR-6 Tactical Pistol Mount Flashlight 100 Lumen with Integrated Red Aiming Laser Designed Exclusively and Solely for Sig Sauer P365, Black​

View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7245S6

Home defense for quick identification, never permanently on, and only on my gun with night sights.
Night sights are largely overrated for their use. If it’s too dark to use the sights it’s basically to dark to identify. Then if you have a light that really just defeats the point.
Don’t get me wrong basically all my guns have night sights that can use them, but it’s really not a deciding factor. I have a 92LTT in my rotation with a RMR/X300 and the rear sight is blacked out. Never has it been a hindrance in our dark shooting sessions.

Absolutely. Good lights are essential on any firearm you trust your life to.
When I was a shooting 'noob' I thought I could hold a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other. If you've never tried shooting that way, please try it. You'll immediately see how damn hard and frustrating it is.

Night sights are largely overrated for their use. If it’s too dark to use the sights it’s basically to dark to identify. Then if you have a light that really just defeats the point.
Don’t get me wrong basically all my guns have night sights that can use them, but it’s really not a deciding factor. I have a 92LTT in my rotation with a RMR/X300 and the rear sight is blacked out. Never has it been a hindrance in our dark shooting sessions.
That sounds like a beautiful setup. I guess I never really thought about it that way...but now that you mention it that does make sense. So if I understand correctly, the night sights are really only optimal under low light conditions, but once it’s pitch black you cannot identify your target anyway but flashing the light reveals your position anyway and your target would react immediately to the source. One would be better off with NV and no light period. I still like the idea of the light for an offensive situation with multiple people on my side, like if I were a cop or something, but for a bump in the night situation one would be better off identifying the target without the light and then responding adequately depending on the threat level.

I hope I never have to use my light
But I’ll go with the old fashioned way,the trigger pull flash
And adjust if necessary ;);)

I Don't own a single one. I don't need one for home defense nobody shuts the frigin lights off in my house. Do any companies make an integrated one? It seems like it might be a good idea. My EDC has an integrated laser. I don't use it but it's there. Would definitely be cool if you can get something like that. Probably more useful then a laser.

I had trouble hitting a caravan towing a camper loaded with propane tanks with my home defense so I'm just going to pull the trigger to make noise and yell " YOU'VE BEEN STERNLY WARNED " ,
a light won't help me
You’ve been warned I’ll give you permanent ear damage and a heart attack! 😂

Absolutely. Good lights are essential on any firearm you trust your life to.
When I was a shooting 'noob' I thought I could hold a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other. If you've never tried shooting that way, please try it. You'll immediately see how damn hard and frustrating it is.
There are techniques for this that work well. As a police officer we were trained to shoot with light not on the gun. This was many years ago. I still do it that way.

A weapon mounted light used to ID a potential threat violates one of the cardinal rules of gun safety . . . never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy. So until I ID friend or foe, I don't point the gun just to ID the potential source of movement/noise.

There are techniques for this that work well. As a police officer we were trained to shoot with light not on the gun. This was many years ago. I still do it that way.

A weapon mounted light used to ID a potential threat violates one of the cardinal rules of gun safety . . . never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy. So until I ID friend or foe, I don't point the gun just to ID the potential source of movement/noise.
Totally agree, this is why I also have a flashlight on my night side table and practice on the range with my flashlight underneath my shooting hand...although I will admit I’ve made the rookie error of keeping the flashlight hand above my shooting hand and got a mean slide bite on my wrist. It was no fun at all.

This is my opinion as well. I learned the Rogers/Surefire method shooting low light IDPA stages. It’s also why I exempted LEO and military in my question as weapon lights make perfect sense in those applications. I asked the question because every “got a new gun” post on FB has a dot and a light mounted. I added the poll to see if NES agreed with me, or if as I’m getting older I’m unconsciously slipping into Fudd-dom. (Which according to the poll numbers, I just might be).

As Len notes, the muzzle sweep is what concerns me. Even though todays WMLs are bright enough that a low 45 hold will illuminate a room, it’s still affixed to the weapon so your light is a gun and your gun is a light. As someone mentioned above, they tested their light and found the battery was dead. Far easier to grab another flashlight than affix a different WL or change batteries. Investigating a “bump in the night” I would prefer the option of keeping the gun pointed down on my strong side, or held behind me out of sight. Having a separate light in the support hand allows me that.

It’s why I posed the question in Training. Reevaluating methods by bouncing them off NES is a productive exercise.

Even at the urinal. 😉

No, just the AR.
So if there's an intruder at night, they'll be getting filled with 5.56 instead of 9 or 45 as they would during the day.
I checked it once recently a few months ago too, totally dead battery, that would have sucked. Not sure how that happened, I never use the damn light.
Certain ones drain the battery... no idea why

Back
Top Bottom