• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Les Baer Bullseye conversion?

Mudflap621

NES Member
Hi I’m new to the 1911 platform but recently inherited a beautiful Baer Bullseye wadcutter gun. From their website and what I’m told it’s meant for wadcutter loads only but I’m having a hard time finding ammo for this thing. My question is what makes this a wadcutter only firearm and is it easily convertible or able to fire fmj range ammo? I just wanna shoot the crap outa this thing but don’t wanna ruin anything or have such a hard time locating suitable loads. Thanks for any help.

There are tons of commercial reloaders that load SWCs, and every random home reloader can do it pretty easy.

Otherwise if you want to change the gun I would talk to a 1911 mechanic about it (like Lou @ Business end, or Santurri, someone like that) but chances are that something is going to have to get sacrificed to change how it feeds.

-Mike

Does it have a very light recoil spring? Just a guess, maybe it was meant for shooting 200 grain SWCs at 700 fps or something?

Thanks for the suggestions I myself was thinking probably a light spring setup for shooting soft loads but wasn’t positive. I’ll give Them a shout

Thanks I have not tried shooting regular loads as want to make sure doesn’t ruin anything. Been super busy but will update once get in touch with someone at Baer

I wouldn't without changing the spring. Full house loads would probably loosen it up quickly.
Its been a long time since I had 1911 on the brain
if your shooting wads on the lighter side a #14 spring might be in there? IIRC #16 is the "norm"
IIRC theres about 5lbs of recoil energy with the 230 ball and close to 2lbs less for the wad cutters.
My 45 load was 185gn @ around 750fps.

Anyhow at $2500 or so for a les wad cutter ......buy some wad cutters put a 5" bull at 50 yards and enjoy.

Last edited:
Its been a long time since I had 1911 on the brain
if your shooting wads on the lighter side a #14 spring might be in there? IIRC #16 is the "norm"
IIRC theres about 5lbs of recoil energy with the 230 ball and close to 2lbs less for the wad cutters.
My 45 load was 185gn @ around 750fps.

Anyhow at $2500 or so for a les wad cutter ......buy some wad cutters put a 5" bull at 50 yards and enjoy.

I would run wads if I could readily find them locally.

I’ve thought about it but I really don’t shoot enough at the moment and don’t have any reloading equipment so would be quite an investment. I eventually would love to but with a 1 and 3 year old and work hard enough to find the time to shoot let alone reload.

I’ve thought about it but I really don’t shoot enough at the moment and don’t have any reloading equipment so would be quite an investment. I eventually would love to but with a 1 and 3 year old and work hard enough to find the time to shoot let alone reload.
Yeah that's tough. Time is a big factor for sure. I'm a couple years away from having kids so I'm enjoying this free time while it lasts[angry]

Enjoy it for sure but once they arrive there’s no better feeling than walking in the door after work and having them come running!

You would be amazed to see how accurate a 45 wadcutter pistol is if properly built. I don't know how well Les Baer does theirs, but a gunsmith who specializes in Bullseye pistols can make one that will shoot groups the size of a Quarter at 50 yards (from a Ransom Rest).

From what I’ve seen and shot this Baer it’s a beautiful gun and very capable of great groups but my only problem was the availability of suitable loads locally. No fun to shoot if I can’t find ammo easily. I have no real plans to compete with it at the moment and if easy to configure for fmj loads that was the plan. I’m not going to sacrifice the gun to do so though.

What’s local ? Mail order some and it comes right to your door. No time lost looking for it either.
As for the cost of reloading for 45 cap
You can get into it on the inexpensive side with a lee Pro1000 or a lee turret press.
It does not take much time really.

You can really go inexpensive with one of these
https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISIO...ader&qid=1553902936&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull
This is a little pricey but target sports has the jacketed wad cutter for about $599/1000?

Last edited:
So those interested I emailed Les Baer and they replied that other than a reduced power recoil spring everything else is the same.

So those interested I emailed Les Baer and they replied that other than a reduced power recoil spring everything else is the same.
Did they at least tell you what spring ?
10, 14, 16, 18# #
The springs primary job is to return the slide into battery while loading another round from the magazine.
I’m not so convinced any real damage would be done shooting 230 ball with a 14# spring vs a 16# spring that’s worn out.

Also balancing the “recoil spring” function to just provide enough energy to “close” the action vs to much energy will drive the platform forward and down.

Last edited:
Was my fathers gun and I know for a fact it doesn’t have 500 rounds through it but I do agree.

Back
Top Bottom