LEOSA

The Sig academy does it for free. BYOammo.
I never heard that and I inquired of the NH SP who referred me to the Police Academy in Concord which would be for NH residents only. CV-19 hit and I never followed up with them.

For MA residents it has to be done by a MSP Certified LEOSA Instructor. Exception is if someone retired from a NH LEA and lives in MA, in which case they wouldn't have to maintain a MA LTC but couldn't buy anything.

I never followed up, but this is the email I received from Sig Academy when I inquired in 2016. I don't know if Jennifer is still there, or if they still offer the service.

Kevin -

* Training starts at 0900 on select Saturdays which I have listed below - please let me know which date works for you
* You need to bring (or buy) at least 72 rounds of ammo - this can be done through us; please ask the instructor for an ammo form
* We will only qualify on one pistol
* Training will consist of NH use of force law and the state qualification (36 rounds) fired back to back with a passing score
* You need to bring your retired police ID with you
* Agency or state is irrelevant, FYI
* You will be done no later than 1200
* You will be required to sign a safety form and liability waiver that day
* We just need your name and contact info - phone number and email

Cost is free. We are doing this as a service for our LE community.

2016 DATES:

Feb 13
Mar 19
Apr 23
May 14
Jun 18
Jul 23
Aug 20
Sep 17
Oct 22
Nov 19
Dec 10

Jennifer Tuttle
Business & Marketing Director
[email protected]
D: +1 (603) 610-3403
M: +1 (603) 534-0719
F: +1 (603) 610-3401

LEOSA doesn't require any training on the law, only that that the retiree qualify to the current state standard for active officers in their state of residence.
Mass violates the LEOSA law in multiple ways. The MA CMR does require some training prior to each qualification shoot. It also requires that both the instructor and the student have valid MA LTCs . . . something LEOSA was created to avoid!

I am going through the process right now to get LEOSA credentials so if anyone needs any contact info feel free to PM me.
?
Trying to get the Retired Police ID?
Trying to get qualified (shooting) . . . and if so to MA or NH standards. I haven't figured out the NH requirements yet but I'm qualified to certify anyone with the ID that either retired from a MA agency or lives in MA and retired from anywhere (they must have a MA LTC however).
Or trying to get certified to qualify others? I can tell you what is needed if that is the case.

I am a LEOSA instructor. I am certified by the Mass State Police. I have done LEOSA quals for many. They have all been retired from Mass agencies and reside in Mass. I agree with Len-2A that Massachusetts is a Mass of conflicts regarding LEOSA. I am NOT an attorney, but I'm not sure that Mass would recognize SIG Academy training as meeting MPTC Standards for Mass retired residents. Good luck

I am a LEOSA instructor. I am certified by the Mass State Police. I have done LEOSA quals for many. They have all been retired from Mass agencies and reside in Mass. I agree with Len-2A that Massachusetts is a Mass of conflicts regarding LEOSA. I am NOT an attorney, but I'm not sure that Mass would recognize SIG Academy training as meeting MPTC Standards for Mass retired residents. Good luck
Only if they use a MSP certified course and the instructor gets certified. From what I gather, SIG has gone to the bother to get a BFS class certified, so my guess is that they probably did that for a LEOSA class too before MSP went into "ignore requests to certify new courses" mode some years ago.

Very easy class yesterday. I was told straight up not to test the credentials in Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York or New Jersey though. The instructor did tell me though that in his 20 years of service he never saw a retired LE get jammed up for a standard cap mag. Interesting though that I was not aware of is that New Jersey banned hollow points. Ofcourse I have to bring my girlfriends daughter to a cheerleading competition in New Jersey for a weekend this winter, I want to bring my gun but now I’m second guessing it. Wtf

Very easy class yesterday. I was told straight up not to test the credentials in Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York or New Jersey though. The instructor did tell me though that in his 20 years of service he never saw a retired LE get jammed up for a standard cap mag. Interesting though that I was not aware of is that New Jersey banned hollow points. Ofcourse I have to bring my girlfriends daughter to a cheerleading competition in New Jersey for a weekend this winter, I want to bring my gun but now I’m second guessing it. Wtf
I'm covered by LEOSA and I would not feel comfortable in NJ. From what I've read, NJ attitude is arrest, try and let the defendant's attorney try to avoid conviction as LEOSA (and FOPA) is an "affirmative defense" . . . meaning an exception to their laws that can be used to avoid conviction.

I'm covered by LEOSA and I would not feel comfortable in NJ. From what I've read, NJ attitude is arrest, try and let the defendant's attorney try to avoid conviction as LEOSA (and FOPA) is an "affirmative defense" . . . meaning an exception to their laws that can be used to avoid conviction.
I know they are scumbags and don’t plan on trying it. Honestly this whole LEOSA is suspect if you ask me, I don’t really care since I don’t go on many trips but when I do I want my gun. Regardless of where you are the potential is there for some young uninformed new jack will probably get excited or maybe it will be some aged, disgruntled and shitty patrolman who feels like busting balls.

I wouldn’t bother. I know a few LEO’s on fugitive apprehension teams that got jammed up by NJ state police. And they were on duty grabbing a fugitive to bring back to NH! f***in insane. They tried to confiscate thier mags because they were standard capacity. U can’t make this shit up. I would try and get the WuFlu so u don’t have to go. 😂😂😂. JK, don’t get that awful shit. Good luck at the competition!👍🏻

I wouldn’t bother. I know a few LEO’s on fugitive apprehension teams that got jammed up by NJ state police. And they were on duty grabbing a fugitive to bring back to NH! f***in insane. They tried to confiscate thier mags because they were standard capacity. U can’t make this shit up. I would try and get the WuFlu so u don’t have to go. 😂😂😂. JK, don’t get that awful shit. Good luck at the competition!👍🏻
That is insanely disturbing, definitely believable though 😂😂😂

Yeah LEOSA is another Federal law that some states choose to ignore. Very much akin to how they ignore SCOTUS gifts like Heller and McDonald decisions.

It is clear that magazine capacity is NOT currently covered under LEOSA. LEOs have been and will continue to be jammed up over that. There are several stories out there of LEOs being charged for the possession of a magazine capable of carrying more than the legal limit.

However, ammunition, unless prohibited by some other FEDERAL law, is covered [18 USC 926c(e)(1)(B)]. Supposedly LEOSA was amended some years back based on NJ laws.

Yeah LEOSA is another Federal law that some states choose to ignore. Very much akin to how they ignore SCOTUS gifts like Heller and McDonald decisions.

I understand how states can make LEOSA problematic, but the general idea is that state laws are mostly irrelevant, other than what's in 18 USC 926C(b)(1)&(2). Improper arrests have resulted in successful tort claims against the arresting agencies.

There are supposedly LEOSA amendments being further considered. But that has stalled for various reasons. The magazine capacity issue in among the proposed amendments.

Back
Top Bottom