• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Leo's and non mass compliant guns

I know this has been asked a milliont times but i can't seem to search right to get my answer. So can an LEO buy ANY handgun or just handguns on the roster but not AG approved? I believe its the later but i just want to check.

Only those on the EOPS List, unless ordered directly thru the PD and thus shipped to the PD (PD would have to do the transfer to the officer).

MGL left NO exception for LE at all . . . but since under Fed Law, the departments can mail-order from ANYWHERE, the department has an out but not the individual officer.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if some MA Dealers were selling anything (on the List or not) to individual LEOs. The ignorance of the laws amongst dealers (and some are just plain arrogant) is phenomenal.

Len you are correct. I specifically know of a shop that has things that are labeled "LEO sale only"

so the PD can order any type of gun, but im assuming that is only for duty guns?

Yes. Realize that some PDs dictate what can be carried off-duty and thus a PD could order said (non-compliant) guns from a LE distributor and transfer (sell) them to their officers. All legal and justifiable.

NYPD has a short list of what officers can carry off-duty, by product/model. I am not personally aware of similar situations in MA, but they could easily exist.

Len is right.... I also have heard offhand there are at least a few dealers
in MA where it's basically "flash real sworn LE badge, get whatever you
want". The fact that this mode of acquisition hasn't been shut off doesn't
surprise me, probably because such transfers don't occur that often. (Think
about the number of LEO in MA, and then the number of LEO that actually
carry off the job or are gun enthusiasts... thats like a minority of a minority, so
they probably stay below the radar. The dealers are taking a risk, but apparently
they either don't know or don't care, or they know something we don't know.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom