• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO Purchase: Two years before you can resell?

I purchased a weapon as a law enforcement officer. I would like to sell/trade this item but was told when I purchased it, that I could not do so till two years have passed from the purchase date. I cannot find this specific law anywhere but I am not willing to wing it and hope for the best.

Can anyone give me some guidance and perhaps cite the applicable laws or have any knowledge of this?

Thanks

I purchased a weapon as a law enforcement officer. I would like to sell/trade this item but was told when I purchased it, that I could not do so till two years have passed from the purchase date. I cannot find this specific law anywhere but I am not willing to wing it and hope for the best.

Can anyone give me some guidance and perhaps cite the applicable laws or have any knowledge of this?

Thanks

There is only th honor system People have sold them the next day what would you like to sell I may be interested

I purchased a weapon as a law enforcement officer. I was told when I purchased it, that I could not do so till two years have passed from the purchase date.

Thanks

Ask whomever told you that to cite the law they are referring to. The silence will be all the answer you need.

Good luck.

I doubt there's any law that states that but there may be some contract that does.

Thanks

There is no time limit, only a requirement for intent. At the time of purchase, you have to intend the firearm to be for yourself, otherwise it's a straw purchase. If you take it home and change your mind, no big deal.

No such law exists!

Glock (and I suspect others) have a form that, if you fill it out, you are contractually agreeing NOT to resell the gun for 1 year (last I looked). It is indeed due to the fact that you got a substantial discount and they don't want LEOs becoming defacto dealers by reselling, undercutting the mfr's dealer network.

So, IFF you signed such a form, you could be sued for breach of contract in civil court . . . and you'd lose. But if you never signed any such form, you aren't bound by any contract at all.

I've bought a few guns under LEO pricing and never filled out any forms. They were NOT Glocks however. I've seen/read the Glock form, but that was only if you ordered from the factory and had it shipped to your FFL. If you ordered via Interstate Arms and had it shipped to your FFL, I'm not sure what you might have to agree to . . . I investigated that (for a Glock) but when I found that the G21 is too big for my hands, I abandoned the idea of buying one.

As a side note: Firearms Instructors will encounter the same sort of contractual agreements to get their discounts on products.

Thanks

It's not a law. You're probably talking about the Glock contractural agreement, which again, is not in MGL.

-Mike

Hmm, thank you all for your info, very helpful. I did have a sneaking suspicion it was less "law" than something to keep me from turning around next day and selling the weapon for a profit. I don't remember signing anything other than the regular paperwork and I certainly do not have a copy of any Glock contract either. I do know that I recieved a discount however I believe the dealer bought items ahead of time and kept them in stock till a buyer chose said item. I also know that the dealer did travel to New Hampshire to pick up the weapon.

Sounds extremely stupid even asking it in my head . . . but I would assume, had I signed the Glock "contract", I would recieve a copy?? Also I do not believe the dealer is in business anymore, which is somewhat odd.

Once again appreciate the input!

Hmm, thank you all for your info, very helpful. I did have a sneaking suspicion it was less "law" than something to keep me from turning around next day and selling the weapon for a profit. I don't remember signing anything other than the regular paperwork and I certainly do not have a copy of any Glock contract either. I do know that I recieved a discount however I believe the dealer bought items ahead of time and kept them in stock till a buyer chose said item. I also know that the dealer did travel to New Hampshire to pick up the weapon.

Sounds extremely stupid even asking it in my head . . . but I would assume, had I signed the Glock "contract", I would recieve a copy?? Also I do not believe the dealer is in business anymore, which is somewhat odd.

Once again appreciate the input!

even if you did sign something how does glock know that you sold it also when we sell LEO glocks the customer signs a form from the whole saler, which only states your buying it not to resell it does not have a time and customer does not get a copy

There is no time limit, only a requirement for intent. At the time of purchase, you have to intend the firearm to be for yourself, otherwise it's a straw purchase. If you take it home and change your mind, no big deal.

Correct.

But I also think there's a difference here between a cop buying an EOPS gun from an FFL then selling it a week later and a cop who ordered a gun through their agency and sold it a week later. ATF frowns on the latter, if they didn't Glock 25's and Barak SP-21's wouldn't be so rare on this side of the sea.

Whats the deal with LE glock buys though? When they sell their post ban glock, can it be to anybody or does it have to be to LE or a dealer? Glocks dont really interest me im just curious about the law there.

Whats the deal with LE glock buys though? When they sell their post ban glock, can it be to anybody or does it have to be to LE or a dealer? Glocks dont really interest me im just curious about the law there.

You're mixing terms. Pre- and post-ban only applies to assault weapons and their large capacity magazines. A post-'98 Glock just means an FFL can't transfer it to a non-LEO. But if a member of LE legally buys the gun, then they can legally sell it FTF on an FA-10.

Back
Top Bottom