LEO gun nuts...

Cleaning

I was fortunate that one of my officers and my FI was a Marine Reserve Firearm's Instructor and a Marine Pistol Team members. He took our AR's and did the maintenace required and if needed, had them repaired by his unit.

We always provided time to clean the officer's firearms after every qualification. All cleaning materials and an area to clean was provided. We even bought a ultrasonic gun cleaner which caused more problems than it solved. [thinking] At least I knew the firearm's were cleaned twice a year.

First off sorry for resurrecting this lol

Mainly from my area of Mass southeast...
- Most LEOs don't look at their firearms as tools nowadays.
- Most never shoot outside mandated qualify let alone clean their gun.
- Most LEOs don't do details.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
USAF wise (up to July 2006)

Arming Group A (qualify/proficiency) every 6 months: Spec Ops, Security Forces, Some Specialized Units
Arming Group B (qualify) every 18 months: Basically next step down few units in this group
Arming Group C (qualify) every 2 yrs: Everyone else, Over 85% of the Air Force

Add this in: USAF implemented Expeditionary Cycles for all USAF personnel with the exception of Contingency Response and some other units.

The Cold Truth: Anyone from Arming Group A-C goes to war and inter-theater. Yet most forget fundamentals and Common-Sense weapon in-hand/in-sight at all times.

Real-Life experience: Nothing like a 2nd day in the sandbox walking into a messhall to find a M-249 SAW with a 250rd box unattended on the floor next to 10 Pakistani workers.

Its not all about planes anymore

I'd be happy to join the ranks of the "LEO Gun nuts" but getting a job as an LEO in this state is damn near impossible! But! When I do, and I will, I'd be happy to be a part of your list! [smile]

Have you taken any of the tests yet? Are you a Vet?
Boston has a big recruitment drive going on.
Don't forget to look at the non civil service towns too.
We're always hiring and have been taking transfers as well.

I would love to oversee the PD's overall and though it will be hated I'd make the requirments a bit tougher and if its true that some PO's shoot the qual course til they qual then they will get 2 chances (everyone can have an off day as well as the fact that the first few times to many will fail it.)

This sounds great in theory but it will never happen. You would be fighting union contracts and Federal guidelines governing overtime. Budgets are tight and departments have a load of mandated topics to cover during in service training. The town going to pay huge overtime bills. No way. Most towns could care less if you ever qualify.

In reality, a firearm will not be the cause of a civil suit. It will most likely be an incident involving the operation of a police vehicle or a foulup during an arrest. Might not even be a foulup. Just the fact that everyone wants to file suits today.

Ad to that the fact that schedules aren't the normal 9 to 5, Monday through Friday than is the norm in most cases. Do you really think that after a eight to ten hour tour and possibly an off duty job to make ends meet that these guys want to go to a range, if one is even available? The cost of a range and a few boxes of ammo even one a month add up. Many would really like to spend at least SOME time with the family trying to have somewhat of a normal life.

Bottom line is that this is your hobby and interest, not theres in many cases.

Have you taken any of the tests yet? Are you a Vet?
Boston has a big recruitment drive going on.
Don't forget to look at the non civil service towns too.
We're always hiring and have been taking transfers as well.

I have been taking as many tests as I can find, and I'm scheduled for the Civil Service on May 19. I'm in the beginning stages of my town's process, which I'm very excited about. I'm not a vet, nor do I have the full-time academy under my belt (That's my biggest disadvantage, at this point), but I do have my bachelors in Crim Justice, and currently hold a job dispatching for a local college PD full time and working part time as armed security under government contract (Army base). So it's starting to come together; I only graduated last May ('06) Just biding my time [wink]

I have been taking as many tests as I can find, and I'm scheduled for the Civil Service on May 19. I'm in the beginning stages of my town's process, which I'm very excited about. I'm not a vet, nor do I have the full-time academy under my belt (That's my biggest disadvantage, at this point), but I do have my bachelors in Crim Justice, and currently hold a job dispatching for a local college PD full time and working part time as armed security under government contract (Army base). So it's starting to come together; I only graduated last May ('06) Just biding my time [wink]

Hang in there. It really does take time and persistence pays off. I just graduated from the academy in Feb and there were guys who had been trying for years to get on. Luckily, I was a vet and my city is always hiring officers. You sound like you are on the right track. Good luck to you and keep at it.

As far as the LEO gun nut thing goes, it is strange to me to find guys on the job who have little or no interest in guns. I guess I'm just one of the few at my dept. who goes to the range at least once a week. To each his own I guess. I figure it helps that shooting was my hobby before I became a cop and now it just seems like a good "benefit" that they give me a brand new gun and some practice ammo for free, even if it is only 100 rounds per year.

Yea, I understand that...but all of us on this group like computers. And we work with them every day. But we go home and dick around with them, build them for buddies, etc..

I do understand that it's a very small part of the LEOs job. So it's not a slam.

I'm just saying that for as many LEOs that there are out there, that more don't have a strong interest for weaponry.
Interesting. I am a software engineer (and I think of myself as an engineer and not merely a programmer), but I have very little interest in programming, software design, and computers in general. They are just tools to me, great and powerful tools, but they only matter to me when there is work to be done.

I used to be a die hard PC gamer but now I am a console gamer (sick of configuring PCs and PC apps, the upgrade race) and I will not tolerate playing games with busywork. Final Fantasy excluded...

I am however willing to trash a 700 dollar gun and pay 200 dollars to repair it and I still think I came out ahead if I learned something.

We purchased our own duty and backup/off duty firearms based on departmental guidelines. Any long guns were stored and issued as the need arised which was far and few.

Anyone authorized to use a Remington 870 would be able to purchase their own if they wanted. Only one ever did. In todays liability happy world, most departments will be stopping that.

In reality, the department's budget would be better spent teaching advanced driving techniques. That is a much bigger problem than poor firearm's handling skills.

In reality, the department's budget would be better spent teaching advanced driving techniques. That is a much bigger problem than poor firearm's handling skills.

OK, which one of you has a big mouth? You know who you are!

I have a large collection of slightly used Crown Victoria PIparts left over from slightly totaled vehicles that I can let go cheap...What's my best bid????

Back
Top Bottom