• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO Exemptions??

I am curious as to if anyone challenged the law based on this.

Why should a LEO automatically and indiscriminately be granted this exception?

well, there are various threads within the gun laws that sum it up. it would take $$$$ and time no one has.

i sure as hell don't [hmmm]. so i pay GOAL and NRA to make myself feel better... [laugh]

j/k

Because that's the way the law was written. Fair is where you go to eat cotton candy.

[rofl]

Why should a LEO automatically and indiscriminately be granted this exception?

I hear all the time on this forum that LEO's should be held to a higher standard. This is a case where the legislature has done such a thing.

It seems as though many just want LEO's held to a higher standard when it comes to them fu@king up but do not actually want to hold them to a higher standard otherwise.

Just my $.02

I hear all the time on this forum that LEO's should be held to a higher standard. This is a case where the legislature has done such a thing.

It seems as though many just want LEO's held to a higher standard when it comes to them fu@king up but do not actually want to hold them to a higher standard otherwise.

Just my $.02

Spot on.

I don't see that.

I see one group of people granted special privileges without any type of scrutiny.

Sorry, I'm not following you. How does this legislation hold LEOs to a higher standard?

It lays out pretty specifically what kind of LEO's it applies to, and how it applies to them. The regs are a lot stricter than any LTC I've ever heard of.

It lays out pretty specifically what kind of LEO's it applies to, and how it applies to them. The regs are a lot stricter than any LTC I've ever heard of.
Maybe in theory but that is not what I have seen practiced.

Obtain a LEO LTC

What exactly is a LEO LTC?

Anyone can legally buy any handgun they want in Massachusetts. The EOPS list and AG's roster apply to FFL sales not FTF private transfers.

FFL's can legally sell a LEO anything on the EOPS list and may (at their discretion) sell them anything not on the EOPS list. Technically this is not legal and they would be subject to a fine if caught. LEO's in MA are only exempt from the AG's regulations in FFL sales.

LEO's can also sell anything they want to a citizen provided it is not a straw purchase or in violation of a manufacturers LE discount program. Some offer great price to LEO's and make them sign a statement that they won't sell it for a year or will only sell it to another LEO. One is a law the other isn't.

I'm sorry that I'm being dense, but I just don't follow you. Could you be specific about which regulation you are referring to?

I'm sorry that I'm being dense, but I just don't follow you. Could you be specific about which regulation you are referring to?

Sorry, I'm referring to the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004, the text of which you can read here: http://www.napo.org/HR218.pdf

926B(c)(2) and 926B(c)(4) says they have to be allowed to carry firearms for the agency they work for, and they have to meet the agencies qualification standards.

926C(4) says that retired LEO's must have "nonforfeitable rights to benefits under the retirement plan of the agency," and 926C(5) says "during the most recent 12 month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the State's standards for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry firearms."

When the LEO is currently employed, the regulations are stricter than all but one or two states concealed carry laws, and when they're retired, there's even more red tape.

Clarified? [grin]

LEOSA has nothing to do with LEO exemptions of the AG's regs and LEOSA has nothing to do with purchasing anything only to CCW by out-of-state LEO's. I don't see how the regulations for a MA LEO carrying under LEOSA would be any different than someone who has a concealed carry license from the state in question. LEO's carrying under LEOSA have NO police powers in other states (and no duty to act) and are no different than normal CCW citizens.

So what are these regulations you speak of GSG??

I don't see how the regulations for a MA LEO carrying under LEOSA would be any different than someone who has a concealed carry license from the state in question.

They are different because if he is carrying under LEOSA then he must meet the requirements outlined in LEOSA. For example, it's pretty easy to argue that a retired LEO that let his cert lapse, if that LEO just wanted to carry in NH, it'd be "way easier" for him to just get an NH P/R license for $20 instead of possibly having to qual every year in order to be "LEOSA OK" within the context of the rules posted above.

-Mike

Just my $.02

Sorry, I'm not following you. How does this legislation hold LEOs to a higher standard?

I was referring to the two posts I've quoted above, partial threadjack, not the EOPS list. My point is that nationally LEO's are held to a higher standard for concealed carry than Joe Citizen is in most states.

Sorry for any confusion.

They are different because if he is carrying under LEOSA then he must meet the requirements outlined in LEOSA. For example, it's pretty easy to argue that a retired LEO that let his cert lapse, if that LEO just wanted to carry in NH, it'd be "way easier" for him to just get an NH P/R license for $20 instead of possibly having to qual every year in order to be "LEOSA OK" within the context of the rules posted above.

-Mike

Exactly.

Last edited:
There is a federal law that allows active law enforcement officers to carry their firearms in all 50 states.

This was passed after 9/11.

One thing I thought with this in regard to MA law only, does this violate my civil rights?

I want an M4 with a functional stock. I have a LTC and pay my taxes just like a LEO. Why can my friend who is a legally own an M4 that he does not use for work?

Aren't I being discriminated against based on the fact that I am not part of an organization?

I think you are referring to H.R. 218.

I think you are referring to H.R. 218.

Now properly called LEOSA, since it is no longer a Bill but Law.

Just for the record, MA VIOLATES LEOSA by putting impediments in the way for retirees that violate the wording and the intent of the Fed Law . . . but this is nothing new for MA!

Back
Top Bottom