• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO Exemptions??

What are the legal issues pertaining to a MA LEO buying weapons that are not MA compliant? Obviously they may purchase a non-compliant weapon through their perspective department for use during duty, by submitting an order on department letterhead and obtaining the appropriate signatures and such. How about a weapon for personal use, what if said LEO wanted a S.A. XD, or any other weapon not on the approved roster, could he/she obtain that weapon legally using their status as an LEO? Is it as simple as finding an FFL willing to do the transaction?
Thanks guys!

Ehm, Yes. That's pretty much it. Obtain a LEO LTC and you're good to get what you'd like short of a MGs and yes there is even a way of obtaining that depending on the LEO position.

Ehm, Yes. That's pretty much it. Obtain a LEO LTC and you're good to get what you'd like short of a MGs and yes there is even a way of obtaining that depending on the LEO position.

can leo's then sell those guns to non leo's ftf? I'm not suggesting straw man stuff here, but suppose a leo bought a nib xd and decided after a few months he didn't want it. Could he sell it ftf to a non leo?

xx240gxx said:
How about a weapon for personal use, what if said LEO wanted a S.A. XD, or any other weapon not on the approved roster, could he/she obtain that weapon legally using their status as an LEO?

There is no exception from the EOPS list for LEOs. There is an exception from the AG regulations, but only for weapons meant for duty use.

Obtain a LEO LTC

What, exactly, is a "LEO LTC"?

Sure about that?[wink]

unless referring to leosa, yes. I dont know if any dept. that will let you take your duty weapon home if you do not have your ltc. ( i very well could be missing out on some)

If you for some reason do no have an LTC and are carrying off duty in mass, in the least you will make for an entertaining court case.

Honestly though, how many departments nowadays will hire if you dont qualify for an LTC anyway.

Last edited:
unless referring to leosa, yes. I dont know if any dept. that will let you take your duty weapon home if you do not have your ltc. ( i very well could be missing out on some)

If you for some reason do no have an LTC and are carrying off duty in mass, in the least you will make for an entertaining court case.

Honestly though, how many departments nowadays will hire if you dont qualify for an LTC anyway.

You are WAY off base! I've quoted MGLs here numerous times. The law allowing ANY LEO (from any of the 50 states and Feds) to CCW in MA as if they had a LTC has been around for at least 30 years (and probably a lot longer)!

LEOs do NOT need a LTC at all. Most PDs now require it, but for very different reasons (vetting of candidates is one).

Many officers, particularly federal, are considered to be on-duty 24x7.

You are WAY off base! I've quoted MGLs here numerous times. The law allowing ANY LEO (from any of the 50 states and Feds) to CCW in MA as if they had a LTC has been around for at least 30 years (and probably a lot longer)!

LEOs do NOT need a LTC at all. Most PDs now require it, but for very different reasons (vetting of candidates is one).

stand corrected. I was talking more per dept policy, however could be wrong there too.

stand corrected. I was talking more per dept policy, however could be wrong there too.

Dept policies have nothing to do with LAW or LEOSA.

Violate department policies and you up for disciplinary hearings/hangings.

Violate law and you are up the creek, lose your career and maybe go to jail.

Very big difference.

Yes...many Departments require that you "qualify" for a LTC-A at the time of hire.

As Len stated this is generally for vetting purposes.

My Department requires it for hiring but you do not need to have a LTC to work for the PD. Once you are hired you do not need to maintain a LTC.

Yes...many Departments require that you "qualify" for a LTC-A at the time of hire.

As Len stated this is generally for vetting purposes.

My Department requires it for hiring but you do not need to have a LTC to work for the PD. Once you are hired you do not need to maintain a LTC.

I understand. However, say you do not have an ltc, does the dept require you to leave your duty weapon at the station when not on duty?

I think you are missing the point. You need to be qualified to have an LTC, not that you obtain one.

I understand that. My question is out of curiosity to those who have first hand knowledge, if you do not have an ltc, will XXXXX dept. allow the officer to take home/carry their weapon? I was told by a family member that it is their dept policy for those with no LTC, they must leave the weapon at the station when not on duty.

The law says you can't take it home IIRC.

1000% WRONG!

Try reading the link that Jeremy posted and I'll cite the MGL law again below.

MGL Ch. 140 S. 129C (o) - exempts all LEOs that are "authorized to possess" weapons. Therefore, they can carry on the badge any gun that their department would authorize them to carry . . . whether on duty or off duty.

When I worked for the PD, most officers who had some years on the force did NOT possess LTCs, by their own choosing (total disinterest in anything gun related). Some left their guns in their lockers (their choice) and some took them home.

There is a federal law that allows active law enforcement officers to carry their firearms in all 50 states.

This was passed after 9/11.

One thing I thought with this in regard to MA law only, does this violate my civil rights?

I want an M4 with a functional stock. I have a LTC and pay my taxes just like a LEO. Why can my friend who is a legally own an M4 that he does not use for work?

Aren't I being discriminated against based on the fact that I am not part of an organization?

Last edited:
There is a federal law that allows active law enforcement officers to carry their firearms in all 50 states.

This was passed after 9/11.

One thing I thought with this in regard to MA law only, does this violate my civil rights?

I want an M4 with a functional stock. I have a LTC and pay my taxes just like a LEO. Why can my friend who is a legally own an M4 that he does not use for work?

Aren't I being discriminated against based on the fact that I am not part of an organization?

yes, a mere mortal shall not have cool toys. [laugh]

it pissess me off to the highest level of pisstivity....

yes, a mere mortal shall not have cool toys. [laugh]

it pissess me off to the highest level of pisstivity....
I am curious as to if anyone challenged the law based on this.

Why should a LEO automatically and indiscriminately be granted this exception?

Back
Top Bottom