• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO & AWB

Are leo allowed to put pre-ban features on a private purchase post ban weapon, If its going to be used in an official capacity? So can officer smith for to the gun store and buy a bushmaster with a pinned stock and replace it with sliding stock if its going to be used as a duty weapon? Would the law (not dept policy) allow him to let someone take it to a range?

LE could always buy pre-ban models if thre agency were to document that it was for official use by the officer during the course of his duties as a LE officer. Bushmaster has a informitive section on that topic.

As far as replacement of the post ban features with pre-ban, I don't think so unless the agency were to approve. Also, state law varies greatly from state to state.

From what I remember, Cal. was the only state to give any problems. Even that was settled a few years back. I do know NJ allowed it. But very few ever bought their own.

Would the law (not dept policy) allow him to let someone take it to a range?

POSSESSION of the gun by other than LEO is a Felony. Therefore, if he handed it to you and you took off to the range with it, you're subject to arrest, prosecution and a long vacation.

On the other hand, it is "probably" OK (IANAL) for you to shoot it while he is "supervising" you. He retains control and legal possession of the gun in this case.

Back
Top Bottom