• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lend a hand please

My brother is a resident of a free state (lucky dog) and is finally going to scratch the firearms itch…Talk about a guy who is CLUELESS about guns, he’s coming to little bro for some guidance (how the turn tables have turned). Anywho, I kinda want to steer him into a S&W M&P10…Why? I don’t know because I’m a sick puppy and think it’s funny to enter the show with a 10mm….It’s strictly going to stay in the house as last ditch protection (he doesn’t have the balls to carry like a true Patriot)…Anywho…if you have another option you’re passionate about for a high quality, reliable home defense (and possibly bears!) give me a reply here with a legit suggestion. The more ridiculous the better. Thanks for reading folks, truly an honor.

-Dan

Attachments

• B977559C-9543-43B2-A9C3-0DFF224F818B.jpeg
    B977559C-9543-43B2-A9C3-0DFF224F818B.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 25
My brother is a resident of a free state (lucky dog) and is finally going to scratch the firearms itch…Talk about a guy who is CLUELESS about guns, he’s coming to little bro for some guidance (how the turn tables have turned). Anywho, I kinda want to steer him into a S&W M&P10…Why? I don’t know because I’m a sick puppy and think it’s funny to enter the show with a 10mm….It’s strictly going to stay in the house as last ditch protection (he doesn’t have the balls to carry like a true Patriot)…Anywho…if you have another option you’re passionate about for a high quality, reliable home defense (and possibly bears!) give me a reply here with a legit suggestion. The more ridiculous the better. Thanks for reading folks, truly an honor.

-Dan
If you're looking to troll him, I hear @andrew1220 has something he's trying to offload.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't try to point him in the direction that makes him a person who enjoys and is successful at shooting

I think that's just overkill unless bears are really an issue. Then I'd go .44 or other magnum load.

Hell, most people can't control .40.

Get some legitimate training, especially if that is his 'one' reason for getting it. It won't be fun getting interviewed after the event if he's had no instruction on how to deal with it.

What does he want?

Why would you want him to suffer?

It's a firearm, not a hazing implement, and unless your bro is independently wealthy, you shouldn't want to waste his money on something you know he'll find unpleasant. Or maybe I'm just misreading you...

Ask him what he's into. Let him do some research. Be the Answer Man, not the Lecture Man.

My first gun was a 1911A1. I still love 1911s. If anyone had tried to get me to try plastic first, I'd have spat on them. .45 ACP is a great caliber for beginners, intermediates, home defenders, and bear... well. Maybe not bear. But cubs, anyway.

What does he want?

Why would you want him to suffer?

It's a firearm, not a hazing implement, and unless your bro is independently wealthy, you shouldn't want to waste his money on something you know he'll find unpleasant. Or maybe I'm just misreading you...

Ask him what he's into. Let him do some research. Be the Answer Man, not the Lecture Man.

My first gun was a 1911A1. I still love 1911s. If anyone had tried to get me to try plastic first, I'd have spat on them. .45 ACP is a great caliber for beginners, intermediates, home defenders, and bear... well. Maybe not bear. But cubs, anyway.
Depends how we define bear. Definitely cubs.

Is your bro clueless about guns because he has never shot one or because he's not into the details? While not impossible to manage, 10mm isn't the best to learn with. If he's a big stout guy and would enjoy a more powerful caliber, better to go with the Glock 20 or if money isn't a concern a Colt Delta Elite for 10mm.

Regarding bears- you talking brown / grizzly territory or just black bears? If only black bears, he's more likely to die of a bee sting than black bear and larger / magnum calibers are not necessary. Regardless, a .357 revolver with 4" or 6" barrel would be fun and can shoot 38 wadcutters which are almost as easy to shoot as a 22. Another nice option is one of the reasonably priced 1911 45 ACP's. 45 ACP is pretty easy to shoot and IMHO more fun than 9mm.

This thread is trollfest, right? Because recommending a 10mm to a beginner is one of the top five stupidest ideas in the firearms world that I have ever heard.

Your brother is asking the wrong person since the S&W M&P10 is a rifle.
Umm
10mm-blog-002.jpg

-Dan
Yes, if you want him to enjoy guns and buy more, let him try several and make up his own mind, rather than steering him to a piece of sh*t M&P.

Explain what to look for in a CCW and let him decide.

Your brother is asking the wrong person since the S&W M&P10 is a rifle.

I keep thinking he is asking about the S&W Model 10 M&P .38 Revolver.

What's with this 10 MM sure it's a good round. Might as well get .40.

I didn't like the M&P.. then again I don't like any striker fired gun. I am stuck in 1995.. in an era where DA/SA ruled.

I would say a Sig Legacy product. I would get a Sig P365 and call it a day for him. Or better yet get him a Sig P320 with Sig .357.

If the purpose is in-home defense and in a free state, a good quality AR is far better than any handgun. AR's are easier to handle than any handgun, have goog recoil control, and have 30 rounds standard.
The only places where I see pistols better at self-defense than ARs is when there is a need to conceal or when there is a need for a light loadout(ex. hiking)

Last edited:
Thank you for all the kind words and suggestions! But I think we found us a winner 🤤 🤤 🤤

Attachments

• 0328B195-FCA1-4180-A8F4-D1DCBA6E34EB.jpeg
    0328B195-FCA1-4180-A8F4-D1DCBA6E34EB.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 7
I'm so disappointed. No one suggested a Flobert (Flotbert? Flotblot? Flubber? Whatever) Parlor Rifle. You can get an included pedestal sink to put it behind as well.

Back
Top Bottom