• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Len Segal Training in Western Massachusetts

Which Dates Could You Attend Training?

• Saturday, Sept 24th

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Sunday, Sept 25th

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Sunday, Oct 23rd

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Saturday, Oct 29th

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Sunday, Nov 13th

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
Picked up an other confirm for 10/29 that makes 4, plus 2 maybes. Was asked the question, " Will higher number of attendees over & above the 10 needed, lower over all price per person?"

No, but if we have to rent a space for the seminar, the more that attend the cheaper that fee will be (that will be above and beyond my fee). [This is like paying a range fee when taking professional training, it's above and beyond the cost of the course itself. BTDT]

Now if we reach 50 people (possible but very unlikely), yes I will reduce the fee. I just don't expect that to happen, but it would be nice. NOTE: When Westford had 50 per seminar, the club picked up my fee and offered it free to members. Had they charged members directly I'm sure it would have been a much smaller fraction of attendees.

Len

Please do. As Len pointed out, the more places we check, the better chance we have of finding a good venue.

Hopefully we can find a place with no added cost for the venue. I failed to mention that possibility to the guys I got confirmed for the seminar. Maybe a deal breaker. Unfortunately there is no recruitment incentive. I'm a member at Easthampton Fish & Game, if you like I can inquire about use of the clubhouse.
http://www.easthamptonfishandgame.com/

Hopefully we can find a place with no added cost for the venue. I failed to mention that possibility to the guys I got confirmed for the seminar. Maybe a deal breaker. Unfortunately there is no recruitment incentive. I'm a member at Easthampton Fish & Game, if you like I can inquire about use of the clubhouse.

Maybe if it is presented to the clubs as a rare opportunity for members to get educated on MA gun laws? In other words, that this isn't for a closed group of NES'rs only and club members are welcome to attend (paid of course).

I just found out the following from someone who has taught at both locations in the past:

- The Holiday Inn Express just off Exit 3 allows gun courses in their meeting room. No idea of cost but sometimes hotels/restaurants may reduce/waive room rental fee if minimum x people eat lunch in their restaurant. [I'm thinking the same may apply to Veterans/fraternal facilities if we ask.]

As for Westfield:

- Requires BOD approval (so can lead to 1 month delay in approval),
- Requires considerable % of gate for rental,
- Requires $2Million insurance with the club named as additional insured. I have the insurance but the "additional insured" cost to implement.
- Means a considerable "surcharge" to attendees to cover the above.

Last edited:
I'll add the Holiday Inn Express to my list of places I am checking.

I wonder if taking a course at a Holiday Inn Express makes you as smart as staying there overnight? [thinking]

I'll add the Holiday Inn Express to my list of places I am checking.

I wonder if taking a course at a Holiday Inn Express makes you as smart as staying there overnight? [thinking]

I'm sure that my certificate for attending the course will make you smarter than that! [laugh]

Sent off an email to the range today, the office is very part time. Hoping to get a reply this week on the clubhouse. Also posting to sent this thread back around to catch other interested unaware NESers.

Just an up date on where things stand. I have not heard back from the club officers on clubhouse use. Others from the club who receive the general email have advised that I go to the membership meeting Tuesday night. I don't mind going to ask for use, I do need support if the say yes. Please advise.

I would be willing to go with you if that helps. But we are not at a commitment stage yet, we would need to know costs. As Len has pointed out there may be an insurance requirement which could make the cost prohibitive.

Please let me know when and where.

Thanks for helping with this.

I would be willing to go with you if that helps. But we are not at a commitment stage yet, we would need to know costs. As Len has pointed out there may be an insurance requirement which could make the cost prohibitive.

Please let me know when and where.

Thanks for helping with this.

Propose Sat. Oct 29th as you have majority of poll respondents choosing that date.

Insurance isn't a killer, as it adds $25 to the cost (if cost is same as my last inquiry ~6 yrs ago or so) for the "additional insured" (which for merely sitting in a classroom is a BS "requirement") as I already carry the level of insurance that I was told that they demand. The real killer is the % of gate that I'm told they likely will demand. Getting them to drop that or a flat rental of $100 would make things go a lot smoother (fewer people dropping out due to cost). Whatever the total is needs to be added to the $90.00 seminar fee . . . just like paying a "range fee" (charged by clubs) when taking a shooting class.

If club costs are equal or more than HI Express, that would make the hotel a better venue.

Some progress, I received an email from the club president. He is looking forward to meeting me tomorrow night at the cub. It sounds like he is on board, needed now is a few other officers to agree. No terms have been brought forward as of yet, I'll know more Tuesday. FPrice thanks for the offer to come also, let me do this as a club member. I'm going to bring the wife she's a charmer. I need to surf Len's website to bone up on info for sure to be asked questions.

Okay. I thank you for doing this. You may want to confirm with Len that there are no live firearms involved jus in case someone asks.

Good luck.

Okay. I thank you for doing this. You may want to confirm with Len that there are no live firearms involved jus in case someone asks.

Good luck.

It's a seminar. Students are seated and I'm either seated or standing up, but there is absolutely no handling of guns in the seminar.

It in no way is anything like a "gun course", it is a course on MA gun laws, much like we sat thru classes in public schools/college.

Success, just got back from our member board meeting. We are able to use the clubhouse for the seminar. Had to make on the spot decisions to get the proposal into the minutes & voted on for approval. The officers asked for a $10 per person donation to the club for use. A cert. of ins. & course out line mailed the the board of directors. Seminar info to be placed into the newsletter/posted on bulletin board including class times. This all has to be mailed out in place by next meeting on 10/4. I can post the board & email the news editor, just need the info.

Easthampton Fish & Game Ass. Inc.
PO Box 438
92 College Highway
Southampton, MA 01073

Success, just got back from our member board meeting. We are able to use the clubhouse for the seminar. Had to make on the spot decisions to get the proposal into the minutes & voted on for approval. The officers asked for a $10 per person donation to the club for use. A cert. of ins. & course out line mailed the the board of directors. Seminar info to be placed into the newsletter/posted on bulletin board including class times. This all has to be mailed out in place by next meeting on 10/4. I can post the board & email the news editor, just need the info.

Easthampton Fish & Game Ass. Inc.
PO Box 438
92 College Highway
Southampton, MA 01073

I'll be sending you a PM either later tonight or tomorrow morning with a bunch of questions to get this rolling. This won't be a "just show up event", each person will have to send me a non-refundable deposit for the seminar with their info (for invoice and certificate) to be received in advance of the seminar. This location is 2 hours from me, so the seminar will have to start at 10AM and run to 5PM (allowing for lunch and questions).

Sounds good. Thanks for doing this.

I don't want to usurp the OP FPrice, this is his idea, therefor his game. Only trying to be helpful on securing a possible venue. I'm willing do what I can as a liaison, however it is Price's call on the next move.

It is not a problem. As I see it, this is a group effort to get Len out here. And seeing as you were able to get a good venue I am more than willing to let you act as point man for this.

If there is anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

added: Once Len's questions can be answered to his satisfaction and we are ready to advertise the location we will need to pass that word around.

Last edited:
Sounds good, hope we have not lost any of the interested with the location & cost. Support from other NESers at this time would be encouraging. Chime in & state your intentions if you're GTG. The date is Oct 29th, cost is $90 for Len plus $10 for the club.
I'm still good for 4 attendees.

So are we going with this location? If so, please shut down the other folks that were going to approach other clubs/venues.

As soon as I get an affirmation on the above, I'll query the Easthampton club's contact person wrt the other questions I have.

As far as I am concerned if Len likes the venue, that's it. I will not pursue any other place.

Back
Top Bottom