• Sunday, Nov 13th

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Location/Date Update!

Please see the following post for the current information on the status of this course and how to register.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...se-in-Western-Massachusetts-Registration-Time

Thank you.

I have been talking to Len about him bringing his popular course "MA Gun Law Seminar for Non-lawyers, by a Non-Lawyer!" to our end of the state and he is very interested in doing so. I have volunteered to help advertise and arrange the venue for this course.

The first item we need to accomplish is to choose a date for the first offering. The attached poll contains the tentative dates he has suggested. This is NOT a one-choice poll. You may vote for as many as you think you could and would be able to attend. Len needs a minimum of ten (10) paid attendees to be able to present the course out here. The course takes six hours so the most likely times would be 10:00am-5:00pm. This is to allow Len sufficient time to get here and set up.

The second item is to choose a venue. The Westfield Sportmen's Club (http://www.westfieldsportsmansclub.com/) has been suggested as a convenient location; I am working with a club member to see if the Club is amenable to this.

Information and registration procedures are located on Len's website, http://2atraining.weebly.com/.

Please indicate your interest by taking the poll and, if you wish, adding on to this thread.

Thank you.

Last edited:
In.
Very interested.
I checked all but Oct 23rd, Patriots 4pm game and we usually throw parties.
Thanks FPrice for organizing this.
:paul:

Damn, forgot the first rule of Massachusetts meeting dates:

De-conflict with Patriots games!

Definite in.

I was disappointed I didn't take this class when I lived out there so there's no way I'm passing up this opportunity.

so we're invited to the party, right?

edit.

I'm in, thanks frosty for getting in touch with len. good to meet you last week

If you like cackling 40-something year old not really that attractive moms and their tween kids running all around the house, sure! I got a TV in the garage and an airsoft range setup, we can shoot and watch it in there.

Probably the size of the room. But that really is a question for Len.

The venue may set a limit but I don't. WESTFORD had 50 people per seminar (I did 2 for them) and that is what they were comfortable with in the room (I think it could have held more people).

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Public speaking doesn't faze me at all, I've had to do it in front of 3000 hostile people (re-zoning issue for business use from residential) and survived (we lost 2 to 1 however on the vote).

Len, is Ron Glidden the co -lecturer? I'd drive 200 miles to see that!

WOW! No.

Ron and I no longer speak to one another (his choice, not mine). I learned a lot from him over the years but he took offense to my attempting to politely (just the two of us) correct him on some mis-information in his 2014 seminar to LE. I was truly offended by his reaction and he cut off ties with me sometime after that.

Back to the seminar material . . .

• I created my material initially back in 2011 during the weeks BEFORE attending Ron's LE seminar. This was intentional as in no way did I want to steal/plagiarize his work or be put in a position where I could be accused of doing so. Ron has put a lot of work in his seminars and earns serious money doing them. [I am very sensitive about intellectual property issues. As soon as I announced my seminar, the owner of a very large training company asked for a copy of my slides. I have no doubt why he did this, but no way do I allow anyone access to my slide deck or the recording of my seminars. I update the material as I learn new info, research new issues, or if I find out there is an error. It's a lot of work and I deserve whatever I can earn from my work, as Ron does for his work!]
  • A lot of my material came from answering questions on NES, AR15, MAF eList, and other forums plus questions at gun clubs, questions by police chiefs/LOs, etc. for the past 30 years. In other words, it is focused on those issues that most interest lawful gun owners. Further research was done with contacts at BATFE, FRB directors (past thru present, going back as far as the MSP Ballistician at 1010 Comm Ave-can't recall his name right now), etc.
  • Based on my attendance at Ron's seminars over the years (I attended the first one he gave with FRB Director Bill Pickett back in 1998, and probably ~12 more up thru 2014), the focus of his seminars to LE is licensing issues and issues that can lead to prosecution for gun "crimes". I hired Ron 5 times to give his seminar to members of Braintree R&P and found myself trying to continually re-direct his presentation towards interests of law-abiding gun owners and away from the LE prosecution focus by asking him questions during his BR&P presentations.
  • The focus of my seminars is NOT about getting a license, but all the nuances in MGLs/CMRs that could get people in legal trouble, discussing issues like inheritance (most LEOs unintentionally give out bad info here), shipping guns/ammo, dual residency, moving and notification law, LEOSA, FOPA, NR visitor issues, large capacity issues, AWB issues, Boston laws, ammo storage, bonded warehouses, the three types of ROs, issues that are in the gray areas, and a ton of other info.
  • Since so many are confused about the legal differences between storage and transportation, I do spend time discussing this to try to set folks straight and away from legal jeopardy. Otherwise, my material is not what you are supposed to get in a MSP approved BFS course.
  • Another important difference in my seminar vs. someone who also has to represent organizations (such as MPI, MCOPA, IACP, GOAL, etc.) is that I am an independent person who owes no allegiance to any organization so I don't have to present any "party line" (this will become obvious when we discuss the "gray" areas). Also, I have legal references available for most of what I discuss in my seminars but don't bore people with tons of slides ("death by PowerPoint") but have it in my notes in case someone wants to know the reference. I also do not ask anyone to trust what I say without their own independent verification of the law as IANAL and not providing legal advice.

Those that are in LE, should also attend Glidden's seminar at least once. Lots of good info for the LE side of the aisle there, but look at all info presented (Ron's or mine) with a critical eye!

I hope this adequately sets the expectations about my seminar.

Nice Len,
Just so you know where I stand; I would let you kiss my sister, right in front of Ron Glidden, just prior to urinating on his shoes.......Ron is a dink.

I got 3 confirms for the last Saturday in Oct. & 2 maybes, still need to talk to two other guys.
Haven't been back to the Westfield club since the event, was there the day before with family.
Hoping not to see a "no firearms" sign on the clubhouse door.

Nice Len,
Just so you know where I stand; I would let you kiss my sister, right in front of Ron Glidden, just prior to urinating on his shoes.......Ron is a dink.

[laugh]

There are a lot in LE that have told me that they no longer respect him and what he teaches. However, he's the only one teaching LEOs and writing the book, whether we agree or disagree with what he teaches. Again, his focus and mine are almost on opposite sides of the spectrum.

I've had a number of LEOs take my seminar (including one chief who I met at one of Glidden's seminars) and all have said that they have learned a lot from what I taught. I take a lot of pride in that, as these are gun people as well as LEOs . . . people on our side of the 2nd A that benefit from being educated on the various obscure gun laws in MA. And they are doing it on their own time and their own dime!

I went to Westfield Sportman club today and the people there said that it was not possible for a class to be held there. While they may be incorrect I think it would have to go before board for it to get approval. Unfortunately they meet the third week of the month and I will be out of the area for the next meeting. If the group wants this to be brought before the board, I can see if someone else can ask for approval.

You could also look for a few alternative sites. Many clubs won't allow outsiders to come in to teach anything (even if no shooting), so you need a plan B and plan C.

Some ideas:

- Veteran's org hall,
- Conference room at a hotel

Sometimes if they know that they will get to charge for a minimum number of meals, they will cut you a break on the rental. In that case we do lunch if necessary.

This may mean that we need to charge $20 more per person to cover the rental, but it is something that might work out.

Also be aware that statistically when it's time to pay up 25-50%+ of those that say that they will attend an event won't pay up. So we need more 15 yeses to make this work out (minimum 10 plus cover hall rental if needed).

I went to Westfield Sportman club today and the people there said that it was not possible for a class to be held there. While they may be incorrect I think it would have to go before board for it to get approval. Unfortunately they meet the third week of the month and I will be out of the area for the next meeting. If the group wants this to be brought before the board, I can see if someone else can ask for approval.

If you could find someone else to go before the board that would help. I would be willing to attend the meeting also to explain what we want to do. Hopefully Len will see this and chime in - I think he has taught there before.

added: Just saw Len's post above. I am thinking about alternatives but unfortunately I don't have any I can think of where I belong.

If you could find someone else to go before the board that would help. I would be willing to attend the meeting also to explain what we want to do. Hopefully Len will see this and chime in - I think he has taught there before.

added: Just saw Len's post above. I am thinking about alternatives but unfortunately I don't have any I can think of where I belong.

I chimed in just above you an hour or so ago.

No, I've never taught there. It was at Westford (off Rte. 3 just below Nashua) where I taught before for the club, not in W. Mass.

Okay, my mistake.

With all of our resources if Westfield doesn't work out we should be able to find another venue.

K of C hall in Chicopee might work out well our club uses it at times, large and centrally located-91/291 and the Pike; the Mrs. and I would go for sure.

K of C hall in Chicopee might work out well our club uses it at times, large and centrally located-91/291 and the Pike; the Mrs. and I would go for sure.

Check it out and other places, don't wait on one place at a time. Then pick the best combination of cost and location.

Based on snubnose' recommendation I've already put in a call to the K of C in Chicopee. The person who coordinates these things is out until Sep 6th but I left my name and telephone number with a brief message about what we will need. They should be calling me back on Tuesday.
But if anyone else has an idea please let me know.

The K of C Castle of Knights on Memorial Drive is a big hall, holds around 500, and is probably big bucks. There is a smaller K of C in Chicopee with a hall that would hold 100-150. The Holyoke Elks hall is another possibility.

Picked up an other confirm for 10/29 that makes 4, plus 2 maybes. Was asked the question, " Will higher number of attendees over & above the 10 needed, lower over all price per person?"

Back
Top Bottom