• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lemme see if I have this right. We have to use non-lead ammo, but the wads are OK?

StevieP

NES Member
I'm new to shotgunning, and was thinking about this the other day...

As I understand it, one or two loons somewhere in Maine were found to have lead poisoning from ingesting a couple lead fishing weights a long time ago. So then every fisherman, everywhere had to change to non-lead weights in NH, MA, and many other states

I assume this same group of "environmentalists" fear that some bird or animal will ingest sufficient quantities of #9 birdshot, with the result that every hunter everywhere has had to change to steel (or tungsten nickel, or whatever) shotgun shot.

But what about the plastic wads that are expelled with every shotgun trigger pull? I almost fear asking this question because I'm afraid some bleeding heart liberal moonbat will glom onto this cause and the result will be (costly) biodegradable shell wads. But I'm seriously asking anyway - isn't anyone concerned with the environmental impact of the millions of plastic wads that end up in every marsh, field, etc. where people go hunting? Won't some wingnut figure out that fish, animals, or birds will ingest these things, and get sick and/or die? What about the fact that it's just a mess of little bits of plastic trash, regardless of the impact to wildlife? I imagine most hunters are pretty good about picking up the shell casings, but I've never seen anyone go pick up the wads.

Should I just keep my damn mouth shut? Or have other people given this any thought too?

As I understand it, one or two loons somewhere in Maine were found to have lead poisoning from ingesting a couple lead fishing weights a long time ago. So then every fisherman, everywhere had to change to non-lead weights in NH, MA, and many other states

I assume this same group of "environmentalists" fear that some bird or animal will ingest sufficient quantities of #9 birdshot, with the result that every hunter everywhere has had to change to steel (or tungsten nickel, or whatever) shotgun shot.
Actually, Maine's law was top down from a Republican governor in the mid 90's. Loons (anywhere) ingest small rocks, that sit in their gizzard and grind food, to assist digestion. Shotgun shot, and small fishing weights, are approximately the same size they select for, and reduced population size and chick #'s. Tourists (and Mainers) like to see/hear loons, in general.
Cant speak to the plastic wads though.

But what about the plastic wads that are expelled with every shotgun trigger pull? I almost fear asking this question because I'm afraid some bleeding heart liberal moonbat will glom onto this cause and the result will be (costly) biodegradable shell wads. But I'm seriously asking anyway - isn't anyone concerned with the environmental impact of the millions of plastic wads that end up in every marsh, field, etc. where people go hunting? Won't some wingnut figure out that fish, animals, or birds will ingest these things, and get sick and/or die? What about the fact that it's just a mess of little bits of plastic trash, regardless of the impact to wildlife? I imagine most hunters are pretty good about picking up the shell casings, but I've never seen anyone go pick up the wads.

Should I just keep my damn mouth shut? Or have other people given this any thought too?

This is why You should open your mouth and get involved.

Lead poisoning in wetlands is a much larger problem than anything that seeps from a plastic wad. Lead managment is something we should take seriously as shooters, as it's not a fake problem, and if we don't pay attention to it, eventually someone with an anti-gun agenda will.

It's a shame to throw the plastic like that, but it's not the same sort of hazard lead is.

Lead poisoning in wetlands is a much larger problem than anything that seeps from a plastic wad. Lead managment is something we should take seriously as shooters, as it's not a fake problem, and if we don't pay attention to it, eventually someone with an anti-gun agenda will.

It's a shame to throw the plastic like that, but it's not the same sort of hazard lead is.
Great Point !!! One should also remember many laws like this one pass because of heavy lobbying from hunting and fishing organizations.

Hunting groups like Ducks Unlimited usually help push such legislation. Face it, hunters, for the most part, are staunch environmentalists. They want health of game to be as high as possible.

Actually, Maine's law was top down from a Republican governor in the mid 90's. Loons (anywhere) ingest small rocks, that sit in their gizzard and grind food, to assist digestion. Shotgun shot, and small fishing weights, are approximately the same size they select for, and reduced population size and chick #'s. Tourists (and Mainers) like to see/hear loons, in general.
Cant speak to the plastic wads though.

This is the issue, not the environmental impact of a half ounce of lead laying in a field after dishcarge.

A loon ingesting anything metal will probably cause dysentry, not "lead poisoning." The problem is not with the lead, but with the goony loons eating metal.

Many state fish and game departments have banned lead fishing lures as well. Lead is softer than many other metals and will react quicker to digestive juices and because of that gets into an animals system much easier. Lead ends up in the bloodstream when other metals are just passed.

This is the issue, not the environmental impact of a half ounce of lead laying in a field after dishcarge.

Need to clarify, the issue (agreed) is with loons ingesting the lead and using in in their crop. WIth the lead grinding against small pebbles it ends up getting into their system and killing them. I mention the lead laying in a field, which is not the problem with the lead contaminating an area as much as it is being ingested by the loons. I too see no issue with going to non lead shot.

It seems the concensus is that the plastic wads aren't much of an environmental concern. But in the future if companies advertise that their plastics are even moderately more degradable, I'd pay a quarter or fifty cents a box more for that ammo.

& I prefer non-lead fishing weights. They're smaller and harder than lead for the same lure weight & I do a lot of finesse fishing for bass.

Back
Top Bottom