• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legality question

I have been searching unsuccessfully for a Ruger MKII or MKIII .22 in the local gun shops. I found a MKII at a gun shop in NH over the weekend and called a LGS about having it delivered to them for transfer to me. I was told that this wasn't legal because it isn't on "the list". Is that accurate? I was under the impression that older firearms can lawfully be brought in, but am unable to find proof of that. Thanks for the help in advance.

If its from out of state, it requires an FFL to transfer it. If the MKII isnt on the massachusetts attorney generals approved gun list ( i dont know if it is), and FFL wont transfer it to a Massachusetts FFL. That being said, you can absolutely posess it (as long as you have the proper LTC)in MA. Its a matter of getting it into the state.

If its from out of state, it requires an FFL to transfer it. If the MKII isnt on the massachusetts attorney generals approved gun list ( i dont know if it is), and FFL wont transfer it to a Massachusetts FFL. That being said, you can absolutely posess it (as long as you have the proper LTC)in MA. Its a matter of getting it into the state.

Nobody knows what is on the MA AG's "approved gun list" because no such animal exists!

The Ruger MKII & MKIII were on the EOPS List last I looked. Due to morons running the business, Ruger did indeed request EOPS to REMOVE those (and many other guns) from the approved list with the excuse that they WERE GOING TO MAKE DESIGN CHANGES! EOPS (last I asked) REFUSED to do so. Guns made that are the same as those tested are indeed perfectly legal for MA Dealers to transfer but due to the FUD created by Ruger many MA shops will not sell used or new Rugers. It's all BS and you (OP) can search here on NES for numerous threads that discuss this.

BUT, the final authority is the MA Dealer who must do the transfer to you (per Federal Law) and if they say no, move on to another dealer until you find one that says YES!

Nobody knows what is on the MA AG's "approved gun list" because no such animal exists!

The Ruger MKII & MKIII were on the EOPS List last I looked. Due to morons running the business, Ruger did indeed request EOPS to REMOVE those (and many other guns) from the approved list with the excuse that they WERE GOING TO MAKE DESIGN CHANGES! EOPS (last I asked) REFUSED to do so. Guns made that are the same as those tested are indeed perfectly legal for MA Dealers to transfer but due to the FUD created by Ruger many MA shops will not sell used or new Rugers. It's all BS and you (OP) can search here on NES for numerous threads that discuss this.

BUT, the final authority is the MA Dealer who must do the transfer to you (per Federal Law) and if they say no, move on to another dealer until you find one that says YES!
You Sir, are correct (as usual!) I was trying to let him read between the lines without suggesting he do anything unlawful or unethical. The morons running the business is a massive part of the problem, and the AGs office is a joke

That's essentially what I figured. Find someone willing to do the transfer and then go from there. Sigh. Thanks for the help, guys.

Only bright side of browsing the gun shops in NH over the weekend was my semi-liberal wife is beginning to really understand what a PITA the MA gun laws are. "But it's just a .22. Why can't we just buy that pistol in MA? That's stupid."

The way it was told to me was, if the gun was manufactured before Ruger started this fiasco, then the local FFL can transfer it. So, all MKIIs and a lot of MKIIIs fall into the "good to transfer" category. A used MKIII or MKII 22/45 is probably ok and FS will transfer it. I asked Carl if he'd handle a new MKIII transfer from Kentucky Guns for me and he refused because it was "new". It's all just pure stupidity.

I have been searching unsuccessfully for a Ruger MKII or MKIII .22 in the local gun shops. I found a MKII at a gun shop in NH over the weekend and called a LGS about having it delivered to them for transfer to me. I was told that this wasn't legal because it isn't on "the list". Is that accurate? I was under the impression that older firearms can lawfully be brought in, but am unable to find proof of that. Thanks for the help in advance.

Keep calling shops, this isn't your problem legally, whether it's compliant or not. You'll find one eventually, just don't post it here.

-Mike

I have seen NIB MKIII recently in an LGS so they are out there. I thought I heard the whole thing had recently been resolved.

Bump this back up with my own experience, shared hereon before.
I wanted a MkIII and could not fine one at several LGS or on NES WTS ads. Ultimately I bought one from a dealer in Michigan and found a local FFL that would do the transfer, but the FFL had a stipulation that the gun be old enough to make Marsha happy.
I confirmed the serial number made it seven or eight years old, the transfer was effected, and I now own a nice Hunter in stainless.
All said and done, it cost me pretty much full boat retail (including purchase, shipping and insurance, and transfer fee) for a used gun.
Then within two weeks several MkIIIs appeared on here. [sad2] Some were "post-ban" priced (really...) and were listed at more than new cost, some were reasonably priced.

Wait it out, get a feel for the market, contact local gun stores farther afield than you would otherwise drive, consider the MkIII 22/45 that B&K has listed on their website, and in general take your time if you are willing to do so... A reasonably priced unit will turn up.

Or this thread started to get people interested in the model, flushing them out of the wood works. Supply and demand... you started with the demand, and the supply came out...

there is no "list" you are just part of the system prepare to be assimilated.

I just bought a brand new Mk111 a couple of months ago. Same experience with most dealers. No, you can't have it. Found one on an online auction site and also found a LGC willing to do the transfer. Next day had my nice new Mk111. It was listed on the EOPS list. As some here have mentioned, it's Ruger making waves not Marsha. Seek and you shall find.

Back
Top Bottom