• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

[Deleted Message]

IANAL but I believe the firearm had to be manufactured as a fixed mag for it to be "legal." I imagine you could do it to a parts kit build though.

IANAL but I believe the firearm had to be manufactured as a fixed mag for it to be "legal." I imagine you could do it to a parts kit build though.
Please quote the law that makes you believe this? I do not mean a website of a politician, but the actual MGL or CMR that talks to original configuration.
I ask the same. Please quote me the relevant law.
Hey there everyone! I live in mass and have my LTC, unrestricted class-a. I'm interested in purchasing a brand new AK platform rifle. The question is, is installing a fixed mag sufficient for this to be permissible in Massachusetts?

I am looking into the comp mag. You have to strip the firearm and install plates / screws. They also offer the kit with some epoxy to permanently seat the Fastener in which it could only be removed by drilling it out. I would like it to be eventually removable because I often go shooting in New Hampshire and would like to use some of my pre ban mags. What is the deal with installing fixed mags? Thanks in advance
The AWB for a rifle says first it has to be semi auto with a detachable magazine. Since you will have a rifle w/o a detachable magazine, by definition it cannot be an assault weapon.

Some foolish answers above. Yes, our fine AG declared "once an assault weapon always an assault weapon" but as we know, no where in MGL, CMR or USC of 13-sep-1994 does that concept exist. Like all the guns that we FFLs regularly massify, changing an AK to be fixed mag would make it "not an assault weapon".

The method of fixing will matter. I think the method you describe that requires disassembly, screws, etc would be pretty solid. If you look at an SKS for example, two screws and one adapter and you have turned a fixed 10rd mag rifle into one capable of accepting AK mags. No one will argue that the base SKS is an assault weapon because it is too easily converted.

Also note you have essentially no case law on this one way or another. We have the one case of an AR pistol with a fixed mag that was manufactured by JC Arms that he defended and won in court. But we don't know if the decision was solely on the end product or on the process of his manufacturing.

But a black and white reading of the law, yes you should be fine. And those that say otherwise, ask them to quote the law making what you are doing NOT legal. Remember, unless expressly prohibited, everything is legal.

Please quote the law that makes you believe this? I do not mean a website of a politician, but the actual MGL or CMR that talks to original configuration.

The AWB for a rifle says first it has to be semi auto with a detachable magazine. Since you will have a rifle w/o a detachable magazine, by definition it cannot be an assault weapon.

Some foolish answers above. Yes, our fine AG declared "once an assault weapon always an assault weapon" but as we know, no where in MGL, CMR or USC of 13-sep-1994 does that concept exist. Like all the guns that we FFLs regularly massify, changing an AK to be fixed mag would make it "not an assault weapon".

The method of fixing will matter. I think the method you describe that requires disassembly, screws, etc would be pretty solid. If you look at an SKS for example, two screws and one adapter and you have turned a fixed 10rd mag rifle into one capable of accepting AK mags. No one will argue that the base SKS is an assault weapon because it is too easily converted.

Also note you have essentially no case law on this one way or another. We have the one case of an AR pistol with a fixed mag that was manufactured by JC Arms that he defended and won in court. But we don't know if the decision was solely on the end product or on the process of his manufacturing.

But a black and white reading of the law, yes you should be fine. And those that say otherwise, ask them to quote the law making what you are doing NOT legal. Remember, unless expressly prohibited, everything is legal.
Anyone just joining a public gun forum and asking legal questions is either dumb or looking to trap someone. You want to pretend to look smarter than the rest of us go for it.

The time has come for killing your domestic enemies and all you can think of is "Legality of a FVCKING MAGAZINE???????

Good God.....some people just don't get it.

Hey there everyone! I live in mass and have my LTC, unrestricted class-a. I'm interested in purchasing a brand new AK platform rifle. The question is, is installing a fixed mag sufficient for this to be permissible in Massachusetts?

I am looking into the comp mag. You have to strip the firearm and install plates / screws. They also offer the kit with some epoxy to permanently seat the Fastener in which it could only be removed by drilling it out. I would like it to be eventually removable because I often go shooting in New Hampshire and would like to use some of my pre ban mags. What is the deal with installing fixed mags? Thanks in advance
Get an sks

Anyone just joining a public gun forum and asking legal questions is either dumb or looking to trap someone. You want to pretend to look smarter than the rest of us go for it.
On behalf of newbies out there, please help them, you guys have a wealth of knowledge and most coming into this hobby may seem to ask some dumb questions but what you don't know, you don't know and they're seeking advice.

When I first joined this site, I had no idea of all the laws and all things that most of the regulars take for granted. I did not grow up around firearms, it was all new to me and I had boys that where very interested as well, I needed to learn for my safety and more importantly theirs.

I learnt 90% if not more from ALL the great members on this site, from how to handle firearms safely, reloading and even casting bullets. Not to mention all the none firearm stuff I learn from everyone here.

I was in a store yesterday with my youngest who was buying his "own" (had access to mine) first rifle with his own money. There was another young man, about the same age as my son, seeking advice on fixed mag lowers and he had been giving so much contradicting information the poor kid was lost. The FFL gave him great and correct advice, very friendly helping this young man out.

So while I know we're sometimes skeptical of new posters, go easy on them, some really need your advice and help and they have no-one to turn too. Please let's not scare everyone off, we need new people in the hobby.

I owe my entire knowledge from everyone here, everyone at that time was very welcoming, friendly and I know I asked some really stupid questions (still do) and I have to thank everyone here for their help.

Harry

On behalf of newbies out there, please help them, you guys have a wealth of knowledge and most coming into this hobby may seem to ask some dumb questions but what you don't know, you don't know and they're seeking advice.

When I first joined this site, I had no idea of all the laws and all things that most of the regulars take for granted. I did not grow up around firearms, it was all new to me and I had boys that where very interested as well, I needed to learn for my safety and more importantly theirs.

I learnt 90% if not more from ALL the great members on this site, from how to handle firearms safely, reloading and even casting bullets. Not to mention all the none firearm stuff I learn from everyone here.

I was in a store yesterday with my youngest who was buying his "own" (had access to mine) first rifle with his own money. There was another young man, about the same age as my son, seeking advice on fixed mag lowers and he had been giving so much contradicting information the poor kid was lost. The FFL gave him great and correct advice, very friendly helping this young man out.

So while I know we're sometimes skeptical of new posters, go easy on them, some really need your advice and help and they have no-one to turn too. Please let's not scare everyone off, we need new people in the hobby.

I owe my entire knowledge from everyone here, everyone at that time was very welcoming, friendly and I know I asked some really stupid questions (still do) and I have to thank everyone here for their help.

Harry
Maybe do a search first instead of being lazy. Or, I always assume first, it's a setup.

Hey numbnutz... why is there a forum named "Gun Laws" then?

The only time I have ever seen it enforced is when they're piling on charges on top of something else. Do whatever the f you want. Go to Maine and buy 100 p-mags.. Live your life like he free man you are... Be careful of who you invite into your life, don't hold up any liquor stores, and you'll be fine... Just like the rest of us..

I own JC Arms.

We filed a motion to dismiss based on the prosecutions lack of PC. First We argued the “detachable magazine” element to the AWB, and I then had to outline in my testimony how I manufacture my receivers and how we abided by the enforcement notice where it speculates to “originally manufactured” as well as the CMR’s. The judge did not say which aspect he used to render his decision. The case is still not over, as the defendant has appealed his improper storage conviction. The AWB charge was put to bed though, and the state did not appeal the judges decision. People are free to make their own mind up, but when you are facing a felony charge it changes things. It’s easy giving legal advice when your own ass isnt in the hot seat.

I paid for the defense, partly because I owed it to my customer and partly because the charge was a loose accusation that I manufacture assault weapons. We were successful, life goes on.

Wow!

Short of hiring an attorney with a specialty in MA-firearms laws, where else do you want me to go and get an idea about this specific question? I asked a question regarding laws regarding firearms on a sub-forum specifically about firearm laws. Get a grip, buddy!!!
I did answer your question.

Crotchety* If you want to be insulting at least please spell it correctly or else you look like a dumbass.
Oh! We’ve gotten to the part where we mock people for spelling? Right on. That’s awesome, now we don’t have to even think about the obvious intended meaning and we can go straight to ad hominem attacks!

Thread De-railed. Good job guys. You may now pass go and collect $200. All before 8 am too, wow.
I would be interested in the concept of the fixed mag AK specifically how you work around bolt hold open while trying to reload the mag.

Let’s show the new guy some love..we’ve all been there. Let’s be a shining beacon on the hill for the downtrodden noobs who are trying to learn where the legal line is in this commie state. Where is the kindler, gentler NES that shows unity with everyone now that we have a new Dear Leader?

The AK comp-mag loads from the side. Check it out on their site/YT, it's sad that the product exists but it's a cool idea for what it is.

Yes, you could do this, but if someone is trying to obey the puritanical thing of Healeys bullshit (eg, a gun was originally manufactured as a fixed mag thing like the JC arms gun is, and not simply modified) you'd have to at least build AKs off of receivers. Good luck doing that without creating an end product that ends up costing like 2 grand.

Honestly in your case I would find a dealer willing to inbound whatever the f*** you want - they exist, as well as some remotes. Then just modify/neuter it to meet old federal AWB specs, this in turn, makes it MA legal under actual law. (eg, no bayo lug, no folding stock, no threaded barrel or muzzle cap). Your journey will be a lot shorter.

Back
Top Bottom