• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

legalaity of mag extensions

im almost positive this is legal but i have yet to confirm it. is it legal to install a +2 mag extension on my mass compliant glock 10 rd magazine making it 12 rounds. Also is it legal to put on a preban g17 17 rd mag making it a 19 rd mag.

thanks in advance i did try to search this.

really? damn i glad i asked ive been carrying my g27 with 11 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber forever

yup, 10 rounds is the limit for any post ban mag. adding 2 makes it illegal since its over the 10 round limit for post ban mags. preban mags, do what you like.

No problem on the pre-ban g17, but a huge no-no on your post ban 10 rounders

That is my interpretation as well. It seems to me that if you take a post-ban, 10 round magazine, add a magazine extender, that you have just created a post-ban, large capacity magazine. And unless you are a LEO, possessing said post-ban magazine is a felony.

Pre-ban magazines? Do what you want.

when i bought my glock 27 it was a pre ban and it came with 2 mags one with a pierce grip extension and 1 with a glock + extension. i figured these were post ban but maybe they are pre ban. i guess i have to do some research to be able to tell the diffrence

when i bought my glock 27 it was a pre ban and it came with 2 mags one with a pierce grip extension and 1 with a glock + extension. i figured these were post ban but maybe they are pre ban. i guess i have to do some research to be able to tell the diffrence

There's a thread on pre-ban glock mags, what it boils down to is: there are some mags that are definitely pre-ban, some that are definitely post-ban, and a whole bunch that may or may not be pre-ban depending on who you ask, what day of the week it is, the position of Jupiter in the sky, and how many goats you sacrificed on the altar this morning. You want to make sure you aren't carrying one of the "definitely post-ban" mags. If you have one of the gray-area mags, whether you carry it or not will depend on your level of risk tolerance.

mlaboss ive read that thread but its still confusing to me. Its seems like all those pictures tell you is how to identify what gen your mag is. What gen mags are pre ban?

mlaboss ive read that thread but its still confusing to me. Its seems like all those pictures tell you is how to identify what gen your mag is. What gen mags are pre ban?

U notch are preban.

LEO marked mags are post ban.. Ambi notch bags are post ban.

As for the rest, I've got no clue.

Yeah, it's legal to own a 17 round mag, but it's also illegal and a felony to own one. ... makes no sense.

Actually it does make sense.

There is a Constitutional Amendment that makes taking of one's property WITHOUT compensation illegal. Thus if ALL 17 rd mags were made to be illegal, the gov't would have to pay the owners something in order to Constitutionally confiscate them. No money to do that, so when they pass a law they incorporate a "grandfather clause" that any and all of that item made before the effective date of the new law are legal to possess . . . anything made after that date is illegal to possess.

Hope this helps clarify it somewhat.

U notch are preban.

LEO marked mags are post ban.. Ambi notch bags are post ban.

As for the rest, I've got no clue.

True and Glock-US Legal Dept doesn't either!

any glock gurus that could take a shot at identifing my mags if i post a picture?

Post it in the other thread. But if you've read the other thread carefully, you will see that there is no shortage of conflicting opinions, with no documentation to back them up.

Not to be a jerk, but you might want to think about what you are posting before you post. Just some friendly advise.

my glock is a gen 2.5 and based on the limited info ive researched i believe my mags are in fact pre ban. So feel free to be a jerk. just kidding.

image.jpg
G27 9rd mag '04 vintage. The Pearce is a plus one in 40 and plus two in 9.

10 in mag and one in pipe = ok. 11 in post ban mag = felony

Last edited:
Actually it does make sense.

There is a Constitutional Amendment that makes taking of one's property WITHOUT compensation illegal. Thus if ALL 17 rd mags were made to be illegal, the gov't would have to pay the owners something in order to Constitutionally confiscate them. No money to do that, so when they pass a law they incorporate a "grandfather clause" that any and all of that item made before the effective date of the new law are legal to possess . . . anything made after that date is illegal to possess.

Hope this helps clarify it somewhat.

True and Glock-US Legal Dept doesn't either!

When Hawaii passed their law banning >10 pistol magazines, they didn't compensate, they just left a time period during which the magazines could be sold out of state. I've always wondered about the legality of that.

When Hawaii passed their law banning >10 pistol magazines, they didn't compensate, they just left a time period during which the magazines could be sold out of state. I've always wondered about the legality of that.

In spite of my knowledge of MA gun laws, I am not a "legal scholar" and can only offer a guess. If someone challenged it and the judges were fair-minded (a real stretch), this sort of law shouldn't (note: I didn't say "wouldn't") fly. The state would claim that it's not a taking since you are allowed to sell them out of state thus marsupial judges would rule for the state.

In spite of my knowledge of MA gun laws, I am not a "legal scholar" and can only offer a guess. If someone challenged it and the judges were fair-minded (a real stretch), this sort of law shouldn't (note: I didn't say "wouldn't") fly. The state would claim that it's not a taking since you are allowed to sell them out of state thus marsupial judges would rule for the state.

Similar logic w the NY SAFE act. I guess only when the other 49 states have banned hi-cap mags will you be able to mount a challenge on this basis.,..

I hate to revive this thread but first and foremost I know installing a mag extension on your post ban magazine is illegal. My question, is owning a mag extension illegal?

I hate to revive this thread but first and foremost I know installing a mag extension on your magazine is illegal. My question, is owning one illegal?
Unclear. If you only own post ban magazines then maybe someone could make a constructive possession case?

If you only own post ban mags, skip the extension — you can’t use it so what’s the point?

Get a 2 round extension on a 1911 mag, then leave 2 out since Noone needs more than 7.
Right.

The extension isn't illegal. Magazines with capacity greater than 10 are. I have +2s on my 7 and 8 round Shield mags, making them 9 and 10 rounders. Perfectly legit.

Other than that, what @M1911 said.

From Mass. General Laws c.140 § 121 :
" “Large capacity feeding device,” (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip, or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells;

Wouldn't that make any "compliant" mag with a removable baseplate a "large-capacity feeding device"? A 10-round Glock magazine that you can buy at Cabela's can easily accept 1 +2 or +whatever; thus, all magazines in MA are technically illegal.

From Mass. General Laws c.140 § 121 :
" “Large capacity feeding device,” (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip, or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells;

Wouldn't that make any "compliant" mag with a removable baseplate a "large-capacity feeding device"? A 10-round Glock magazine that you can buy at Cabela's can easily accept 1 +2 or +whatever; thus, all magazines in MA are technically illegal.

"Readily converted" in my mind is the key factor. For instance, mags where you take a baseplate off and remove space blocker and put the mag back together--those are the mags that come to mind. That's kind of why I personally dislike the notion of standard cap blocked mags for compliance (as oppose to purpose-built 10rd mags), but everyone has their own risk tolerance level.

The limited capacity mags I use typically have permanent rails inside that are part of the mag body construction. Can't be "readily converted" without tools and the possibility of ruining the magazine. I'm pretty sure these type of mags wouldn't work with extensions either, as the rails make them closer to single stack and extensions are closer to double stack. Would create funky round alignment and feeding issues.

"Readily converted" in my mind is the key factor. For instance, mags where you take a baseplate off and remove space blocker and put the mag back together--those are the mags that come to mind. That's kind of why I personally dislike the notion of standard cap blocked mags for compliance (as oppose to purpose-built 10rd mags), but everyone has their own risk tolerance level.
I was just typing out a "so wait, this seems to me like my 'blocked' mags are a little sketchier than initially thought". That said, idgaf and I'm not concerned, just an interestingly worded bit of that

Back
Top Bottom