• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legal way to keep firearms near your bed

To access it, you have to lift up the mattress? Have you ever tried lifting a tempurpedic mattress? They're heavy.

Not an optimal design, IMHO.

Last edited:
1300 lbs just for the frame of the bed?

Im not sure how many floors could hold that + the wieght of the guns/ammo, mattress, husband, wife, and dog.

Gotta add it all up:

Bed Frame = 1300 lbs
Tempur Pedic Mattress = 75 lbs
Guns = 100 lbs
Ammo = 25 lbs
Husband = 180 lbs
Dog = 50 lbs
Wife = 110 - 450 lbs ( depending on what your taste is :) )

I just dont see my floor being strong enough for that unless we sleep in the basement. Cool idea though.

A hardside (wooden framed) waterbed weighs approximately 300 lbs per foot of width. This makes a queen sized waterbed weigh approximately 1500 lbs. Since the weight of a waterbed is distributed over a fairly large area, the per foot weight is usually not a problem for any home built to code.

Legal way to keep firearms near your bed... in a safe or don't sleep. Take your pick in the commiewealth.

I don't think it would be practical for me.

The wife would not be thrilled with me tossing the bed, everytime I needed something out of the safe.

The doors also look to be fairly easy to pry, unlike a regular safe that uses locking bolts.

It seems like its primary purpose to provide essential/mandated security in environments where space is in critical supply (small appartments, etc.).

In many parts of Europe, houses are designed to be more or less handed down through families. Concrete slab floors and much more permanent construction is more commonplace. It seems those types of houses are where this device would fit best.

I think the best way to keep a gun close is to get a little biometric box, slide it under the bed and achor it to the floor with a security cable.

If you hear a "bump" in the night, simply lean over, slide out the box, open it and your good to go.

Sorry, but fingerprint readers suck. You'll find that out once you get licensed and go to use MIRCS for the first time.

I would never trust a life saving device to a biometric lock. Murphys law says it will fail when you need it to work the most.

-Mike

Sorry, but fingerprint readers suck. You'll find that out once you get licensed and go to use MIRCS for the first time.

I would never trust a life saving device to a biometric lock. Murphys law says it will fail when you need it to work the most.

-Mike

+1 - have never had biometric stuff work well...

I've got the winchester ev600 under my bed - keypad and key override

+1 - have never had biometric stuff work well...

I've got the winchester ev600 under my bed - keypad and key override
I've always wondered why there aren't more Simplex-style safes/lockboxes/etc. around for guns.

No electronics, no key, easy to use even in the dark, resettable, and many more combinations than a multi-dial style combination lock.

I really want a couple of them in padlock size, one integrated into a safe/cabinet, and one in a small box w/ a cable that I can either leave under the bed or bring in a vehicle with me, I just haven't been able to find any.

I've always wondered why there aren't more Simplex-style safes/lockboxes/etc. around for guns.

No electronics, no key, easy to use even in the dark, resettable, and many more combinations than a multi-dial style combination lock.

I really want a couple of them in padlock size, one integrated into a safe/cabinet, and one in a small box w/ a cable that I can either leave under the bed or bring in a vehicle with me, I just haven't been able to find any.

I havent been able to find any either. Do you think it would be possible to take a WM box with key and "retro fit" one of the simplex locks into it?

I havent been able to find any either. Do you think it would be possible to take a WM box with key and "retro fit" one of the simplex locks into it?
I'm not sure on the terminology ("WM"?) but if it's not possible, it's certainly possible to have someone weld you up a box.

'Course, I can't find simplex padlocks either, which is more of a problem.

I'm not sure on the terminology ("WM"?) but if it's not possible, it's certainly possible to have someone weld you up a box.

'Course, I can't find simplex padlocks either, which is more of a problem.

My bad - Walmart = WM. They have small steel boxes near their firearms stuff similar in size to the manufactured ones with the electronic pads. It has a regular key to open the box. If someone could cut the box, you could probably pop a simplex lock in there? I thought I saw some simplex locks at HD (home depot [wink]) but having never specifically looked for one, I can't say definitively.

edit: I wasnt thinking padlock, but more like recessed cabinet simplex lock

dagwag77 said:
Walmart = WM.
D'oh. [smile] I should have picked that up.
dagwag77 said:
edit: I wasnt thinking padlock, but more like recessed cabinet simplex lock
If you could go with something not recessed, you might be able to go with something like a standard cabinet or door lock like many of the ones here.

Edit:
Finding more padlocks, and some of the type that real estate agents use to secure keys to door handles.

The Supra one I'd trust. I'm not sure about the one from Amazon. Part of the equation is reliability, and a Supra or Simplex lock that's not abused will last reliably for quite a while.

Last edited:
http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/pistolboxes/

It's not going to stop a thief (they'll just take the box with them and break into it at their convenience) but it will comply with the MA storage laws. Simplex lock, quick to open, and you can store a couple handguns in there loaded and ready to go.

Nice box, and great find exodious! The only problem is how would I manage to open that if it was under my bed?

Nice box, and great find exodious! The only problem is how would I manage to open that if it was under my bed?

Depends on the height of your bed I guess. I slide it out if I need to get to it. There are some other simplex boxes where the door opens down that might be more to your liking. Can't think of the brand right now. I can't vouch for the quality on those though. I'll try and find that other box online tonight.

Back
Top Bottom