Legal to sell long arms out of state?

No FA-10 required unless he's in MA selling it on an FTF. In his case transfer must go through an FFL to buyer if he (seller) is claiming MA residency. If he is claiming NC residency things may be even less complicated. (You're not clear on where he is selling the rifles. )

If he's selling them up here he can do an FTF or E-FA-10. Or use an FFL if he doesn't want to burn up an FA-10.

-Mike

Last edited:
It depends not only on whether he's claiming residency here or in NC, but also on where the potential buyers claim residency. If they're residents of the same state in which he's claiming residency, then it's the laws of that state (e.g., MA = FA10 or NC = whatever they require for FTF) that need to be followed. Otherwise, it's federal law, which requires that any transfer be through an FFL.

Ken

If he's in the Army and stationed in another state, he's Federally considered a resident of that state (as well as MA) and can legally sell FTF (assuming that state allows for it) to another resident of that state (who could be another serviceman stationed there), otherwise it has to go thru an FFL.

If he's in the Army and stationed in another state, he's Federally considered a resident of that state (as well as MA) and can legally sell FTF (assuming that state allows for it) to another resident of that state (who could be another serviceman stationed there), otherwise it has to go thru an FFL.

Last edited:
I assume he would want to submit a FA-10 even when selling it out of state so as not to be on the hook for it in Mass?

Hold that in abeyance right now. Seems there is no proper form for doing that at present. I'm going to ask the person in charge at FRB how we should handle that and will report back in the MA Gun Laws sub-forum assuming that I get an answer.

Hold that in abeyance right now. Seems there is no proper form for doing that at present. I'm going to ask the person in charge at FRB how we should handle that and will report back in the MA Gun Laws sub-forum assuming that I get an answer.

I've gotten different answers about whether MA law (1) permits a MA resident to sell/trade a rifle to an out of state FFL without going through a MA FFL and (2) whether an FA-10 is required to "register" the "transfer."

Anyone that tells you that you can't sell to a non-MA FFL is an idiot and has no clue what they are talking about. One of the major purposes of an FFL is to be able to obtain guns from ANYONE (licensed or not) in ANY state.

Jason Guida told me that you MUST file an FA-10 when you no longer possess a gun . . . by selling to any dealer in/outside MA, etc. My problem was that I was challenging him on the premise without ever looking at the process. Now that I look at the process there does not seem to be a good way to do it. "Loss" implies that you "lost the gun" and "may" bring down the wrath of "unsuitability". Theft isn't appropriate either and transfer to Joe's Guns in Aurora, CO doesn't seem appropriate. Transfer to Joe Smith in Aurora, CO (who possesses a C&R) looks like a Federal Offense (interstate transfers between non-FFLs) since MA doesn't recognize C&Rs at all and there is no way to designate that on the FA-10. [IIRC someone did something like this and ended up with BATFE and local PD at his door. It all got sorted out as legal w/o charges but must have been a real "oh shit" moment for the poor guy trying to do the right thing.]

Back
Top Bottom