Legal to carry an AR with mags in a backpack in public

Reptile

NES Member
I certainly would not recommend this.

I am just wondering if it is legal.

Can you carry an unloaded SBR AR with loaded mags in a backpack in public.

I am wondering this because there have been cases of people in open carry states carrying an AR in public.

Wondering if possible to CCW unloaded in a backpack with loaded mags.

This is just a legal question.

I am aware that if discovered you will become unsuitable and lose your LTC and I have no practical need to do this.

You could carry a fixed mag AR pistol. Your rounds are limited but it would be legal.

How do you think people who take public transportation to/from ranges or gun shops transport firearms? Locked discrete cases. Same with motorcycles. Not everyone has a car.

Legal if a locked case (if you put it down, it must be locked). If it gives a hint that it contains a gun it might not be wise, but a locked case is a locked case per MGL.

That's the Law.

Whether the Po-po or the Marsupial Gathering to follow would agree that a backpack is a "Case"....YMMV.

Also, post a video.
(b) Except as exempted or provided by law, no person shall carry on his person on any public way an unloaded rifle or shotgun, unless such rifle or shotgun is enclosed in a case.

Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $1,000, and may be arrested without a warrant; provided, however, that if such unloaded rifle or shotgun is a large capacity weapon and is carried simultaneously with a fully or partially loaded large capacity feeding device, such person shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and may be arrested without a warrant.

Well, that is plain as day for a rifle.

What about a SBR?

That is not considered are rifle in Massachusetts.

"You could carry a fixed mag AR pistol. Your rounds are limited but it would be legal."

I guess that would work, too.

What about if you had a locking hard case in a back pack but only big enough to put the lower inside it?

Could you keep the upper inside the back pack beside the case.

I guess having a case inside a backpack is not practical due to weight.

It would be cool if somebody made a hard sided Pelican case that is just big enough to put in a 10.5 inch upper with a muzzle brake.

Anyone contemplating such a law abiding action is not a criminal.

An actual criminal with evil intentions would not be arguing Mass General Law if he was planning on hurting people.

Swapping out a 10.5 inch upper for a 8.5 inch upper would be just fine if you have a tax stamp for that lower.
The upper and lower would both fit into a locking case that would then fir inside a backpack.

Back
Top Bottom