• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legal tgts in Ma

Does anybody know what type of paper targets are NOT allowed in this state? I have been told anything that resembles the profile of a human is illegal. Is this true? Also, does anyone know where this is in the MGL so I could reference it? Thanks

notagain.jpg

Only clubs with a LTC-A Club License are prohibited from using human-form targets. There is only one such license and no one seems to know which club it is. Chances are that wherever you're shooting it's legal to shoot silouettes.

notagain.jpg

Only clubs with a LTC-A Club License are prohibited from using human-form targets. There is only one such license and no one seems to know which club it is. Chances are that wherever you're shooting it's legal to shoot silouettes.

It's the club I'll be joining at the Sept. club meeting. Namely the Andover Sportsmen's Club. Don't ask me why they did that because I haven't a clue.[grin]

The no silhouette rule is posted in their range rules.

You can get targets without the head. They are OK. Just paste a shoot-n-see bull for a head.

When I first read about this rule my reaction was "how juvenile!". Sometime later I read that one of our elected officials found that some of his constituents were using pictures of him as targets. Somehow he managed to get this convoluted restriction in a bill as a payback. So, I was right about it being juvenile. Now thousands of people are scratching their heads, doing research and wondering if they are criminals.[angry]

Does anybody know what type of paper targets are NOT allowed in this state? I have been told anything that resembles the profile of a human is illegal. Is this true? Also, does anyone know where this is in the MGL so I could reference it? Thanks
If a club has a class A club LTC, then they can't allow people to shoot at human silhouette targets. Only 1 or 2 clubs in MA have a club LTC, so it is unlikely to be an issue for you.

You can find the language in MGL Chapter 140 Section 131, which reads, in part:
The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties.

Full text here: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

As mentioned previously, of the hundreds of clubs in MA, only 1 or 2 have a club LTC. Clubs which do not have an LTC do not have such a restriction, and you are free to shoot at human silhouette targets.

Oh TGTS

I thought this said something else... I was expecting silicone and cup size comments....[smile]

As mentioned previously, of the hundreds of clubs in MA, only 1 or 2 have a club LTC. Clubs which do not have an LTC do not have such a restriction, and you are free to shoot at human silhouette targets.

And some (like AFS in N Attleboro) have rules prohibiting these sort of targets from their range as well. [rolleyes]

Some interesting questions:

1. The law requires LTC-A holding clubs to prohibit shooting at such targets. If someone shoots at such a target at an LTC-A club, are they in violation of any law? It would seem to me the the only way to violate the law would be to fail to prohibit such targets.

2. What degree of enforcement is required of the club? Is the club culpable if someone uses such a target in violation of the rules?

3. What is the penalty applicable to a club that fails to prohibit use of such a target?

Here's the solution to your problem. Go out and purchase your favorite realistic human figure target. Next cut the heads off the target in a overly theatrical manner, making sure that the entire procedure is recorded and posted on the internet, preferably while wearing a ski mask.* Finally, take the targets to your range, comfortable that you've fully complied with the moronic club rules and idiotic state laws.

[* Accompanying this production with an appropriate reading from the Quran will ensure no lib will dare criticize you in any way.]

Ken

Back
Top Bottom