• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legal places to shoot target

Then by all means, post right here, in this thread a single "public" location where I can go shooting without fear.
I hope you realize this isn't the kind of disagreement I want to win. I hope I'm wrong.
Instead of berating me enlighten me!

There is a difference between being legal and being advisable. Ponder on that for a while.

There is a difference between being legal and being advisable. Ponder on that for a while.

And that's exactly the sort of ambiguity that leads to people having no clue what they can and can't do and remain outside of a correction facility.
All that matters is legal.
MassWildlife - Wildlife Management Area Regulations

State range, Martin Burns WMA
6. PROHIBITIONS

(j) Target Shooting. Target shooting or target practice on any WMA without the written permission of the MassWildlife Director or his agent.

Permits are issued only for the target range at Martin Burns WMA. Contact Northeast Wildlife District. This restriction does not pertain to the use of firearms with blank cartridges for the purpose of dog training;

So my pistol permit is, as I stated, not enough to allow me to shoot anywhere public legally.
I need ANOTHER permit.
So like I said legal to posess, not to discharge.

Last edited:
There is no MGL on discharge - barring how close to a public way or residence you are. There are several towns that tweak these distances, or have an all out ban on discharge.

And that's exactly the sort of ambiguity that leads to people having no clue what they can and can't do and remain outside of a correction facility.
All that matters is legal.
MassWildlife - Wildlife Management Area Regulations

State range, Martin Burns WMA
6. PROHIBITIONS

(j) Target Shooting. Target shooting or target practice on any WMA without the written permission of the MassWildlife Director or his agent.

Permits are issued only for the target range at Martin Burns WMA. Contact Northeast Wildlife District. This restriction does not pertain to the use of firearms with blank cartridges for the purpose of dog training;

So my pistol permit is, as I stated, not enough to allow me to shoot anywhere public legally.
I need ANOTHER permit.
So like I said legal to posess, not to discharge.

Correction. Make that TWO extra permits..
According to this thread I need a hunting licence as well to even apply for the second of the three permits one needs to shoot there
Plus, paper targets only..(one of the OP's primary gripe)
And only approved hunting firearms.
Where's that list?!
Sigh
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/gun-ranges-clubs/41520-state-owned-range.html

Last edited:

Again, you are making stuff up. Stop doing that.

If you owned 100 acres of land and your town didn't have a no-discharge ordinance, you could shoot legally, and you wouldn't need any other permit to do so.

Eastern MA is densely populated and very liberal. As a result, you can't find many locations where you are not close to other houses.

Since your license is issued at the discretion of your chief of police (and can be revoked by him at will), you really want to consider carefully where you go shooting -- it might be legal, but if the police get pissed off, you might lose your LTC. That is not the same as being illegal.

There are very few places in eastern MA where you can just walk into the woods and shoot. And if someone knows of such a place, they are highly unlikely to post in a public forum about it, as next weekend 50 people would show up and before long you wouldn't be able to shoot there.

Last edited:
I do belong there it is a very nice range . just getting tired of the range master asking me for my permit and basically reading me the rules pretty much everytime I go . Funny he knows when I bring a guest more than once but cant remember me! I really want to go to a place that I dont feel like big brother is watching my every move . Maybe he has to do that but its sickening! Maybe as the first reply states I need to find another Range . Cant beet Woodcock for rifle but there pistol is Boring! My location is Westport Area

Im also in Westport and am a member of High Hill Fox and Coon club. It's a little more to join than other clubs(200 to join, 100 yearly dues) but they have no restrictions as to what you shoot. Outdoor pistol and rifle ranges, trap field if you got your own thrower, steel targets, whatever. There's only been one time that I've gone and there were other shooters there. Usually have the place to yourself. Very small amount of members, maybe a 100 or so, mostly older hunters, but if someone's there they're usually always willing to offer friendly advice or let you shoot their weapons as well

Maybe we need to compile a list of MA clubs that allow:

1. Hard steel: Gongs, flippers, trees, etc.
2. Cans
3. Pop/water bottles
4. Melons, Pumpkins
5. Drawing from a holster
6. Rapid fire

All assuming clean-up afterwards.

How about clubs that cater to IDPA or 3-gun?

Again, you are making stuff up. Stop doing that.

If you owned 100 acres of land and your town didn't have a no-discharge ordinance, you could shoot legally, and you wouldn't need any other permit to do so.

Eastern MA is densely populated and very liberal. As a result, you can't find many locations where you are not close to other houses.

Since your license is issued at the discretion of your chief of police (and can be revoked by him at will), you really want to consider carefully where you go shooting -- it might be legal, but if the police get pissed off, you might lose your LTC. That is not the same as being illegal.

There are very few places in eastern MA where you can just walk into the woods and shoot. And if someone knows of such a place, they are highly unlikely to post in a public forum about it, as next weekend 50 people would show up and before long you wouldn't be able to shoot there.

First off, I am not now, nor have I ever been a liar.
I am not making shit up.
Am I un/misinformed, yes, you've made that abundantly clear by how much it flusters you. But there is a huge difference between those two things, and one is an attack on my character and is hardly appropriate. Set me straight, but please don't ever imply that I'm a liar.
Secondly, if you'll recall, I prefaced this entire conversation with the fact that this was "purely academic".
Implying that this was a theoretical or hypothetical conversation; not practical, realistic, or implying that anything i posted would be directly factual.

So to clarify and be abundantly clear, I am "not" a firearms attorney, I do "not" possess a map of every city and town in eastern massachusetts discharge ordinances, nor have I committed the convoluted and mystifying MGL's to memory.
So please, relax and give a guy a little leeway will ya!

Back to academia:

I don't own any property, so that's not an option. Besides, its again not public and its exclusionary based on income.

But if I'm reading you right, (and correct me if I'm wrong)
If I were to find a town with no laws forbidding the discharge of a firearm, and I can machete myself miles enough into the back woods lugging all my gear, I could "legally" shoot there and not go to prison.
But irregardless of the legality of that action the scenario still potentially could cost me the ability to own and carry firearms forever..

So in that light, my statement that you say is made up seems 'effectively' true. And i say that only because despite its being legal here and there, due to discretionary dispensation the outcome/punishment could effectively be the same as shooting illegally.
--------

I absolutely love the suggestion of making a sticky post of clubs that allow reactive targets/plates/gongs etc.

Back
Top Bottom