• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legaity of Magpul PRS and request for link to CMR/MGL link on rifle stocks.

First, I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. I believe it is since its a Mass law question.

Does anyone know if the Magpul Precision Rifle Stock is legal under Mass law?

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG307/84

I am under the impression it is not covered by the spirit of the law, but that being said, can anyone point me to the section of the law that covers collaspable and/or adjustable stocks?

I'm in the middle of a build and this would be my stock of choice.
Any help on getting pointed in the right direction on this is greatly apprecieated.

As always, Thanks!

Ozman

It is legal, it needs to be pinned so it isn't adjustable. It is very heavy. If you are doing precision shooting it is a nice stock. If not, it is probably a waste. But don't let that stop you! ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

It's not clear to me that the PRS needs to be pinned. The stock doesn't move, the cheek-peice and butt-plate does. It's not collapsible.

I'd say you're good to go. But I'm not a lawyer, and I don't plan on getting one. Your mileage may vary.

No stock is "illegal under Mass law" in and of itself. Only when installed on certain firearms in conjunction with other "evil" features, thereby creating an "assault weapon". That said, the stock you are inquiring about would not be considered "folding or telescoping" IMHO. Here's the relevant statutes...

M.G.L. c.140 s.121

“Assault weapon”, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994,...

18 U.S.C. 921(a)(30)

The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means -

>snip<

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a
detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the

action of the weapon;

(iii) a bayonet mount;

(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to

accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) a grenade launcher;

Sorry but the stock is collapsable.

It's not clear to me that the PRS needs to be pinned. The stock doesn't move, the cheek-peice and butt-plate does. It's not collapsible.

I'd say you're good to go. But I'm not a lawyer, and I don't plan on getting one. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sorry but the stock is collapsable.

How so? Does the stock, in fact, collapse? It does not appear so to me. It's not folding, and it's not telescoping. It simply is attached to an additional piece which is adjustable. The stock itself is fixed to the buffer tube. I believe this was fine under the Federal AWB.

Last edited:
. It simply is attached to an additional piece which is adjustable. The stock itself is fixed to the buffer tube. I believe this was fine under the Federal AWB.

Thats an interesting take Roland....I may spend some more effort on this as time allows. Thanks!

. It simply is attached to an additional piece which is adjustable. The stock itself is fixed to the buffer tube. I believe this was fine under the Federal AWB.

Thats an interesting take Roland....I may spend some more effort on this as time allows. Thanks!

Please keep in mind this is just my opinion, and while I obviously think I'm right, it's your ass on the line.

Ozman - did you do any more digging on this or just decide to go with the PRS stock? I started a similar thread then was pointed to yours. I'm considering a build as well using this stock.

While the stock may be legal, you can bet that it will cost you many thousands of dollars to defend that assertion that if someone wants to make a stink out of it.

While the stock may be legal, you can bet that it will cost you many thousands of dollars to defend that assertion that if someone wants to make a stink out of it.

That's the problem. It may be legal but as the discussion in my thread has progressed, there is no case law on this type of stock so anyone using one or thinking of using one could be the person establishing the case law down the road. The law makes a very broad statement with nothing mentioned about the distance the stock may travel, how that travel may be engaged.....nothing! I'm sure if someone did take this to court the state would probably play the "suitibility" card to have this person's LTC revoked making the whole argument mute. Being an outsider who moved here, MA firearm laws continue to amaze and bewilder me!

Back
Top Bottom