• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lefty Selectman in Wilton, NH quits after a change in policy

Monadnock

NES Member
A win's a win. Brent Hautanen has been a member of the Monadnock Rod and Gun Club in-the-past.

A Wilton selectman has resigned after disagreeing with a town policy on whether employees should be allowed to carry guns, saying he found the changes “totally inappropriate.”

Former Select Board member Dan Donovan resigned Tuesday morning, the day after a 2-1 vote to revise an town policy that originally barred guns on town property. The new policy allows people – including on-duty employees – to carry concealed weapons on town property if they have the proper permits. Donovan voted against revising the policy.

“It’s a hot-button issue and it’s so grossly inappropriate,” said Donovan, on why he felt the need to resign after the vote.
Donovan said that he still holds his fellow selectmen in esteem, but couldn’t consciously endorse the change, which was made after a gray area in the law had several towns questioning their policies regarding employees and weapons.

RSA 159:26 prohibits local governments from enacting municipal ordinances or regulations relative to the possession, sale, transportation, etc., of firearms. The law is unclear, however, when it comes to things like employee policies.

After hearing concerns from an insurance provider about the potential for liability and from Police Chief Brent Hautanen on the potential lack of training of employees carrying firearms, Donovan said he couldn’t support changing the policy, but was outvoted by his other two board members.

Last night, the Select Board was scheduled to meet with Steve McDonough, a former member of the board, to offer him the vacant seat. If appointed, McDonough would serve the remainder of the year until March elections, at which point the voters would elect someone to fill the remaining two years of Donovan’s term.
Donovan said he was invited to return to the board by Select Board Chair Kermit Williams, but said he would not do so to avoid even the appearance that quitting was a tactic to try to revisit or overturn the board’s ruling on the policy.

By ASHLEY SAARI
Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Monday, October 17, 2016

yup...very good. glad he left. We do not need oppressors of freedom in positions of power. Doesn't directly affect me but glad to see some of our neighbors to the north are making a valiant stand.

Sounds like he is still a better man than most MA politicians: "Donovan said he was invited to return to the board by Select Board Chair Kermit Williams, but said he would not do so to avoid even the appearance that quitting was a tactic to try to revisit or overturn the board’s ruling on the policy. "

After hearing concerns from an insurance provider about the potential for liability and from Police Chief Brent Hautanen on the potential lack of training of employees carrying firearms, Donovan said he couldn’t support changing the policy, but was outvoted by his other two board members.

Shocked to see the police come out against the commoner. Just shocked.

Some people. LOL

panic.gif

A win's a win. Brent Hautanen has been a member of the Monadnock Rod and Gun Club in-the-past.

A Wilton selectman has resigned after disagreeing with a town policy on whether employees should be allowed to carry guns, saying he found the changes “totally inappropriate.”

Former Select Board member Dan Donovan resigned Tuesday morning, the day after a 2-1 vote to revise an town policy that originally barred guns on town property. The new policy allows people – including on-duty employees – to carry concealed weapons on town property if they have the proper permits. Donovan voted against revising the policy.

“It’s a hot-button issue and it’s so grossly inappropriate,” said Donovan, on why he felt the need to resign after the vote.
Donovan said that he still holds his fellow selectmen in esteem, but couldn’t consciously endorse the change, which was made after a gray area in the law had several towns questioning their policies regarding employees and weapons.

RSA 159:26 prohibits local governments from enacting municipal ordinances or regulations relative to the possession, sale, transportation, etc., of firearms. The law is unclear, however, when it comes to things like employee policies.

Last night, the Select Board was scheduled to meet with Steve McDonough, a former member of the board, to offer him the vacant seat. If appointed, McDonough would serve the remainder of the year until March elections, at which point the voters would elect someone to fill the remaining two years of Donovan’s term.
Donovan said he was invited to return to the board by Select Board Chair Kermit Williams, but said he would not do so to avoid even the appearance that quitting was a tactic to try to revisit or overturn the board’s ruling on the policy.

By ASHLEY SAARI
Monadnock Ledger-Transcript
Monday, October 17, 2016
What constitutes town property and how is this not in conflict with state preemption?

You have to respect a person who knows where he (or she) isn't wanted. Are you listening, Hillary?

sounds like his panties were in a bunch. He took his purse and went home, did he?

Sounds like he is still a better man than most MA politicians: "Donovan said he was invited to return to the board by Select Board Chair Kermit Williams, but said he would not do so to avoid even the appearance that quitting was a tactic to try to revisit or overturn the board’s ruling on the policy. "

Nah. it's still just a moonbat/statist type temper tantrum, any way you slice it.

Shocked to see the police come out against the commoner. Just shocked.

I actually am surprised. From what I know he is easy to deal with regarding CC permits etc. I'd be curious to know exactly what he said and what he was asked before I form a negative opinion on this.

I think Donovan was expecting Williams to side with him. Williams (as a state rep) voted for HB1589 back in 2014 (yet another "universal background check" bill) but is not the kind of person who'd pit the town against a clearly worded state preemption, fortunately.

I didn't get what I want, I'm taking my ball and going home. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Yup, looks like he didn't get his way, so he went home.

Good riddance.

By the way, the Chief had reservations over training. I'm pretty much OK with that, just have the training. It reduces potential insurance liability. Of course, that goes to town employees (not the general public), and seeing that it would be mandatory training, the town needs to foot the bill, not the workers. Not much different than getting a Utah CCW permit is. That requires training.

RE: Wilton, NH Chief of Police Brent Hautenan:

I actually am surprised. From what I know he is easy to deal with regarding CC permits etc. I'd be curious to know exactly what he said and what he was asked before I form a negative opinion on this.

Snip ...By the way, the Chief had reservations over training. I'm pretty much OK with that, just have the training. It reduces potential insurance liability. Of course, that goes to town employees (not the general public), and seeing that it would be mandatory training, the town needs to foot the bill, not the workers. Not much different than getting a Utah CCW permit is. That requires training.

Yeah, seemed a decent sort, and so does the Chief in Jaffrey ...ex-SEAL even, but basically guns are for us and not you type of guy.

Brent is a gun club guy and a hunter, so there's that. I feel that everyuone should be trained but eff the guv'ment for making special rules.

I am sorely tempted to offer a free NRA Certified course (regardless there will be a free course in-the-spring open to all) as we do at the Club bi-annually of Firearms Safety in the Home, and follow it with live fire training with their own firearms on-the-range.

Shop Keeper (Club Board Member, NRA/Hunter Ed/BSA Instructor ...and NES Shoot RSO) usually takes the lead on these free NRA classes, and I am available to run it if necessary or act as support if needed. Had I more time, I'd jump at offering Town Employees in Wilton free training before Christmas, and still may do so. I will speak with Shop Keeper about it. We can throw several MRGCI Members who are certified instructors at this issue.

Last edited:
Yes, in general police are SO WELL trained with firearms to be better than those that actually shoot casually every month or more often with their own ammo and on their own time!!! [banghead]

Back
Top Bottom