Lefties, Revolvers and Speedloaders

I was wondering if there are any lefties out there who shoot revolvers, and if they had some sort of "efficient" method of getting the rounds into the gun. The only thing I can think of is to transfer the gun to my right hand, and then pop open the cylinder right handed and then eject the rounds and grab the loader with my left hand and feed in the rounds.

Have others found this to be the best method? Other ways seem to include waving the gun around in ways that make other folks all sorts of nervous and jerky.

Thanks!

switch hands for the reload. There is a very good revolver shooter that is left handed, I can't remember his name, He says he has an advantage reloading because he is lefty.

switch hands for the reload. There is a very good revolver shooter that is left handed, I can't remember his name, He says he has an advantage reloading because he is lefty.

I can see the advantage coming in with the better fine motor skills on that side. I suppose switching hands isn't all that time consuming, though it is an extra step.

Thanks!

I push the cylender release with my right thumb and pup it out with my left index finger, then turn it 180degrees and use a speed loader. I am by no means fast but its working. So the sights are almost touching my belt.

ETA: the motion of turning it back 180 actually helps close the cylender.

This may not be the most efficient way to load lefty, but what I do is.....

Speedloaders on left side.
Hit cylinder release with left index, push cylinder open with right thumb, while transfering revolver to right hand, thumb through window in frame, fingers & palm under triggerguard. (HKS loaders - trap cylinder between thumb and fingers)
Rotate barrel up with right hand, hit ejector rod with left hand.
Rotate barrel down with right hand, draw speed loader with left.
Load cylinder with speedloader in left hand.
Left hand on grip after dropping loader, push cylinder closed with fingers of right hand from underneath the revolver. Keep barrel down until cylinder closes.
Move right hand to firing grip.

Bang x 6

I'm less likely to fumble the speedloaders when I'm not using my stupid hand. [smile]

I'm curious to know what other lefties do for reloads, too. I am in no way convinced that my way is the best.

This may not be the most efficient way to load lefty, but what I do is.....

Speedloaders on left side.
Hit cylinder release with left index, push cylinder open with right thumb, while transfering revolver to right hand, thumb through window in frame, fingers & palm under triggerguard. (HKS loaders - trap cylinder between thumb and fingers)
Rotate barrel up with right hand, hit ejector rod with left hand.
Rotate barrel down with right hand, draw speed loader with left.
Load cylinder with speedloader in left hand.
Left hand on grip after dropping loader, push cylinder closed with fingers of right hand from underneath the revolver. Keep barrel down until cylinder closes.
Move right hand to firing grip.

Bang x 6

I'm less likely to fumble the speedloaders when I'm not using my stupid hand. [smile]

I'm curious to know what other lefties do for reloads, too. I am in no way convinced that my way is the best.

This is the way I was thinking would work best. I'll have to try Mike-mike's version, as well.

Lefties...the forgotten minority :)

The NRA Basic Pistol course suggests transferring the revolver into the right hand for reloading it... I had to review it as I had 3 lefties in my class last week!

I'm a lefty and have used my S&W 642 while training with Michael de Bethencourt. He explains it much better than I could:

He has some upcoming snubby training scheduled at Pioneer Sportsmen Club in Dunbarton, NH at the begining of May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom