• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Left Right or Ambi?

Nashmack

Banned
I am right handed, I shoot pistols right handed, but long arms I shoot ambidextrous. I was wondering how many of you shoot with your "weak" side. Also, I was wondering...when I shoot rifles lefty, I always have to tape my right sleeve shut to prevent hot brass from getting trapped between my sleeve and my arm.

So, how many right/left/ambis do we have here? And how many people have to do a field expedient on their clothing to prevent burns?

I am right handed, I shoot pistols right handed, but long arms I shoot ambidextrous. I was wondering how many of you shoot with your "weak" side. Also, I was wondering...when I shoot rifles lefty, I always have to tape my right sleeve shut to prevent hot brass from getting trapped between my sleeve and my arm.

So, how many right/left/ambis do we have here? And how many people have to do a field expedient on their clothing to prevent burns?

handguns righty, long guns southpaw.

I'm right eye dominant, and my right hand is my strong hand, but i cannot close my left eye alone. can't do it.

I'm right eye dominant and shoot rifles and shotguns right handed. I shoot pistols left handed and using my right eye most of the time, because my left hand is larger and I get a better grip. I shoot almost as well right handed, but not quite.

I'm cross dominant, left hand/right eye. I discovered this before I ever picked up a gun, so I decided when I started shooting to just start right-handed and learn that way even though left-handed seemed more natural at first. I now almost exclusively shoot right handed whether rifle, shotgun, or pistol and consider my left hand 'weak side'.

I'm cross dominant, left hand/right eye. I discovered this before I ever picked up a gun, so I decided when I started shooting to just start right-handed and learn that way even though left-handed seemed more natural at first. I now almost exclusively shoot right handed whether rifle, shotgun, or pistol and consider my left hand 'weak side'.

I'm just the opposite, I'm right hand/left eye.

I am cross-eye dominant shooting pistols with my right hand and aiming with my left eye. When I do skeet and trap I put a piece of Scotch tape over my left eye. That helps greatly.

I shoot righty with pistols (I have better fine motor control in my right hand) and I shoot lefty on rifle, mainly due to the fact I have trouble seeing through aperture sights with my right eye.

I don't have a strong eye dominance either way. I primarily shoot handguns right handed using my right eye (left closed). I do however regularly practice right only and left hand only. I occasionally practice two hands left handed, but not very often. When shooting left handed, I use my left eye.

I've only shot long guns right handed so far; shooting them lefty seems really strange. I plan to try the tape trick to learn to shoot with both eyes open at some point, but I haven't yet. If I try to shoot with both eyes open, I see two sights, which kinda makes it hard to aim. :p

I shoot righty with pistols (I have better fine motor control in my right hand) and I shoot lefty on rifle, mainly due to the fact I have trouble seeing through aperture sights with my right eye.

Same here, righty with a pistol and lefty with the long arms. It's been kind of a pain in the butt with my AR though. The slickside spits hot brass right back into my face.

Left handed (because we are all born "righty" but the few great ones overcome it)
Right eye dominant
Shoot pistols lefty
Long guns righty

oddly enough, my 12yo son is exactly the same way

I have no eye dominance. I shoot all guns right handed. I shoot all guns with both eyes open at all times, even when using a high powered scope. Doesn't make sense to me but it works. If I think about it while I am shooting a handgun I see two guns pointing at the target. Makes me feel like I got 'em surrounded. I shoot the gun on the left.

I'm right handed and right eye dominant, nothing special here.

Both eyes open is best if at all possible.

I tried this the last time I was at the range for a small performance loss. I think I'm still early enough in my shooting career that I can make both eyes open my default.

I'm also cross-eye dominant. I've learned to shoot pistols ambidextrously with decent results, but long guns are a little more difficult for me. I shoot them left handed, even if they're right hand guns. I'm now immune to hot brass & other minor burns which occur from shooting on the "wrong side" of a gun.

This thread kind of makes me think cross eye dominant is normal, and if this is the norm, why arent more guns ambidextrous? I'm thinking long arms here, like the FN P90/PS90 and the Ithaca 37.

Left eyed and shoot hand guns right handed, shoot long guns left handed. My pistol on my right strong side and my AR in a single tac sling on my left. I can holster the pistol and shoulder the AR or drop the AR on it's sling and draw the pistol without the guns getting in the way of each other. This is the most neutral way to shoot and carry for me.
Years of shooting this way as taught me to think left handed.

When I lost the use of my right eye due to retina problems years ago I became very glad that I'm a lefty. For hunting, I use lever and pump rifles and shotuns. This year I will hunt with the Stag lefty AR. My subguns are all right eject but I always wear good safety glasses when I use them. Jack.

expedient

how many people have to do a field expedient on their clothing to prevent burns?

expedient? Is that like when SCUBA Divers Piss in their Wetsuits?

moose8.gif

I usually shoot with whatever hand gets n the trigger first

Last edited:
Right eye, right hand. I'm ridiculously right handed, I can't do anything with my left hand.

I am also ridiculously right handed... Only problem I have is... I'm blind in my right eye... but it seems fine with a pistol... but hunting with a shotgun... well.. it gets a little close to my face... [grin]

Being left handed presented me a problem when I went into the Army in the 60's.

I have always shot right handed. When I stuck a bayonet on the M14, I wanted to revert back to left handedness.

I had to train myself to 'lunge and parry' as a right hander or to shoot lefty.

I found it easier to train myself to do differently with the bayonet than train myself to shoot lefty. Chances were that I'd need to shoot better than stab better.

Back
Top Bottom