left loading port AR reciever?

sadly the places around me are like ohh nooo a gun part. OR they want like a 200 set up fee.

Tell me where you want it cut, size of port, & send upper receiver. Take like 10 minutes to cut that. Might not be able to get the edge bevel perfect though. You'd have to refinish, or just leave it raw.

Or does offering that make me a "manufacturer" these days? [sad2]

Last edited:
sadly the places around me are like ohh nooo a gun part. OR they want like a 200 set up fee. Lost my only good direct source for machine work a few years ago.

i posted a picture of the upper a few post back. simply a left port to single load while shooting lefty in the prone position.. also check out the video i posted. its a bolt action but kind of the same cncept.

I think it would literally take 30 minutes or so...the first time. There's very little material to remove. Toss it on the Bridgeport, indicate it, plunge an end mill through the side and plow out the port. You could then either use a large ball mill to cut the 'chamfer' or rotate the receiver 90 degrees and use the side of an end mill.

What do you do as far as the mag well goes? My thinking is to make an insert (faux mag) that serves as a tray to drop the round onto and allows the bolt to move it into the chamber.

Who wants to donate an upper receiver I can experiment on? [smile]

Sort of, the bolt cam pin normally rides in the area that would need to be cut.

It doesn't really ride in it. There is a relief cut in the upper that provides room for the cam pin to rotate. The camming action is provided by the bolt carrier. This relief and/or the cam pin's head may be exposed with a loading port but I don't foresee it affecting function.

Last edited:
I think it would literally take 30 minutes or so...the first time. There's very little material to remove. Toss it on the Bridgeport, indicate it, plunge an end mill through the side and plow out the port. You could then either use a large ball mill to cut the 'chamfer' or rotate the receiver 90 degrees and use the side of an end mill.

What do you do as far as the mag well goes? My thinking is to make an insert (faux mag) that serves as a tray to drop the round onto and allows the bolt to move it into the chamber.

Who wants to donate an upper receiver I can experiment on? [smile]

I think I have another upper somewhere from one of the group buys. If not when I tear down the current flat top I have I will revisit the project. After xmas

It's not a matter of cases or L or R handed. I'm a lefty and found over the years
"LH" guns to be more of a hassle than its worth.
I want a left hand loading port to ease in loading in prone position and not have to break position...

Even if cases did hit me short of hitting me in the eye it doesn't bother me. Getting hit with brass is no big deal , well unless it finds it way down your shirt and is still hot. My M1 carbine hits my forehead often.

Its interesting that as a lefty, you want a left hand port so you don't have to break position.

I've always felt that as a lefty, the right hand (standard) port gave me an advantage in loading single shot since it was easier to reach with my right hand. Of course most of my single shot AR shooting is done offhand, not prone.

Ok. I'm thinking this through now, are you all slung up and don't want to remove your right hand from the sling?

Yeah.

The funny thing is when shooting from a bipod, I find it less disturbing to load with weak hand. But when shooting from a sling, you obviously want to load with the strong hand.

It's a,novelty project for me. Right now it's lower on the project list ... I called a few sources
One still has not returned my phone message.
The other said only on full order uppers.
The 3rd potential supplier said call back in April.

The purpose of the left port is to ease loading in prone position and not be pinned to special LH parts.

Back
Top Bottom