• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

left loading port AR reciever?

mac1911

NES Member
I know I have seen them. My Google foo is weak on this one.
I want a left hand loading port for loading in prone position.
I do not want a LH AR... I might go that route if the loading port option is not good.

Stag arms has left handed uppers just a matter of what caliber you want. FYI I shoot rifle left handed and have no problems using a standard AR15 haven't had a case hit me in the face as the case deflector does its job nicely.

I put together a left-handed Stag Arms A2 5.56 build when we lived in the desert. It was a very fine medium-range shooter, able to consistently hit a steel gong at 600 yards. I can't shoot 600 yds out here but regardless it's really accurate

It sounds like you want a left hand upper on a right hand lower. You can that, you just need to order a left hand upper receiver. I'm not going to name manufactures on this forum.

Stag arms has left handed uppers just a matter of what caliber you want. FYI I shoot rifle left handed and have no problems using a standard AR15 haven't had a case hit me in the face as the case deflector does its job nicely.

It's not a matter of cases or L or R handed. I'm a lefty and found over the years
"LH" guns to be more of a hassle than its worth.
I want a left hand loading port to ease in loading in prone position and not have to break position...

Even if cases did hit me short of hitting me in the eye it doesn't bother me. Getting hit with brass is no big deal , well unless it finds it way down your shirt and is still hot. My M1 carbine hits my forehead often.

Last edited:
It sounds like you want a left hand upper on a right hand lower. You can that, you just need to order a left hand upper receiver. I'm not going to name manufactures on this forum.

No I want a loading port on the left side to aid in single round loading while I'm prone position. I have had my share of LH guns and don't want any need for special parts that are harder to find and cost more money.

- - - Updated - - -

How about a PM

Perhaps there is room to have a port machined into the LHS of an upper receiver? I'll have to look to see where the bolt rides, but perhaps that's possible. I would think you just need enough of a port to insert the bullet and push forward with your pinky, just like the rest of us do with our right hand.

Dunno how I ended up shooting right as a lefty, but it makes life easier. Actually, I can shoot as well with my left but I don't want to deal with match issues- sling, single loading, etc. Hope something works out for you.

Perhaps there is room to have a port machined into the LHS of an upper receiver? I'll have to look to see where the bolt rides, but perhaps that's possible. I would think you just need enough of a port to insert the bullet and push forward with your pinky, just like the rest of us do with our right hand.

Dunno how I ended up shooting right as a lefty, but it makes life easier. Actually, I can shoot as well with my left but I don't want to deal with match issues- sling, single loading, etc. Hope something works out for you.

I grew up shooting righty. Everything just flows well for me lefty.
The challenges of loading and such are pretty minor.
I just would rather keep movement to a minimum and stay in position the best I can... actually the only reason I don't get a lefty upper is I don't want the righties getting all bent and having the match director isolate me to the end left of the range every time... the righties get all weird around us lefties[smile]

Depending on how my vision holds out I may go back to righty as it doesn't seem as uncomfortable on the joints...at the moment.

Last edited:
I have a DPMS southpaw i bought years ago, it was my first AR but it's not a true lefty, The upper has the ejection port on the left side but no cover and no FA, the bolt is modified for left hand ejection as well. The lower is standard right hand AR fare.

I have a DPMS southpaw i bought years ago, it was my first AR but it's not a true lefty, The upper has the ejection port on the left side but no cover and no FA, the bolt is modified for left hand ejection as well. The lower is standard right hand AR fare.

No need for a LH lower... I can manipulate the RH lower just fine. I often forget I have a ambi mag release I'm so used to operating the RH set up.

I simply want a Left LOADING port. I know they are out there I seen one on the line ....one of those full blown match rifles "spacegun" I just can't find a stripped upper to build off of
Simular to what some of the bench shooters use. As seen here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this what you are looking for?

1HL__52558.1427569329.1000.1000.jpg

As was posted above, Stag Arms builds left-handed uppers.

No RH action with lef
t hand loading port... left_load_upper__1.jpg
Finally found it...Now to see if they still make them.

How about this...
Get a stripped upper, find someone with a milling machine, and give it the loading port/slot you want... I've seen [stripped] uppers, without forward assists and dust covers, sell for under $40.

I don't know if you'll compromise the strength of the upper by doing this.

John Scandale at Keystone Accuracy can hook you up.

No need for a LH lower... I can manipulate the RH lower just fine. I often forget I have a ambi mag release I'm so used to operating the RH set up.

I simply want a Left LOADING port. I know they are out there I seen one on the line ....one of those full blown match rifles "spacegun" I just can't find a stripped upper to build off of
Simular to what some of the bench shooters use.
I looked at DPMS web site, looks like they don't carry the Southpaw uppers any longer

It's not a matter of cases or L or R handed. I'm a lefty and found over the years
"LH" guns to be more of a hassle than its worth.
I want a left hand loading port to ease in loading in prone position and not have to break position...

Even if cases did hit me short of hitting me in the eye it doesn't bother me. Getting hit with brass is no big deal , well unless it finds it way down your shirt and is still hot. My M1 carbine hits my forehead often.
It is probably me, but I am confused by the "left handed loading port" on an AR. Are you saying you want to load single cartridges directly in the chamber through the ejection port?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It is probably me, but I am confused by the "left handed loading port" on an AR. Are you saying you want to load single cartridges directly in the chamber through the ejection port?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is typically done during slow fire stages in Service Rifle matches.

But it seems that he wants something different than a left-handed upper, which is where I've gotten completely lost.

What he wants is a upper he can single load from the left but will eject to the right.

Have seen some belt fed conversions like that.

It would be pretty simple to machine a loading port in the left side of a right hand upper. It's a completely unstressed area.

It would be pretty simple to machine a loading port in the left side of a right hand upper. It's a completely unstressed area.

sadly the places around me are like ohh nooo a gun part. OR they want like a 200 set up fee. Lost my only good direct source for machine work a few years ago.

i posted a picture of the upper a few post back. simply a left port to single load while shooting lefty in the prone position.. also check out the video i posted. its a bolt action but kind of the same cncept.

Back
Top Bottom