• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Left hand Friendly Pistols

SnakeEye

Banned
Looking to go pistol shopping this weekend.
the first hurdle, im a lefty. :(

I know all Berettas have ambidexterous safeties and most have a slide lock that can be shifted to the other side. but Living in Massachusetts and with all the snow and ice and sand and rock salt we got up here, im not really apprehensive about having an open slide..
I was really hoping to get a H&K P2000 as its 100% ambi, but from what i understand most H&K's are not mass compliant. would love to get a glock 19 or 26, and i can operate the slide and magazine release with my trigger finger, but under stress and with only gross motor function, im not so certain i could do the same fancy finger juggling.Plus simply by reloading i would be required to hold the pistol with only a couple fingers, not a good defensive grip imho.

im open to any recomendations.
thanks all :D

I'm going to assume that it's semi-autos you're looking for, not safety-free revolvers, right? I'm a lefty, and the ambidextrous quality of revolvers influenced me in that direction. They aren't perfect (reloading is easier for a righty).

I am not sure where you live but the new S&W M&P might have what you are looking for. It's not out yet that I know of, but should be expected soon. I am pretty sure it will take longer in Ma... If it makes compliancy at all.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...=10001&catalogId=11101&categoryId=15711&top=Y

209000_large.jpg

Meet the M&P From Smith & Wesson.

Reinforced polymer chassis, superior ergonomics, ambidextrous controls, proven safety features. The new standard in reliability when your job is to serve and protect and your life is on the line.

Available in 40S&W, 9mm and 357Sig.

In the design of the M&P, we considered the needs of military and law enforcement from every conceivable angle. No other polymer pistol offers this combination of versatility, durability and safety. ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY

SnakeEye said:
Looking to go pistol shopping this weekend.
the first hurdle, im a lefty. :(

I know all Berettas have ambidexterous safeties and most have a slide lock that can be shifted to the other side. but Living in Massachusetts and with all the snow and ice and sand and rock salt we got up here, im not really apprehensive about having an open slide..
I was really hoping to get a H&K P2000 as its 100% ambi, but from what i understand most H&K's are not mass compliant. would love to get a glock 19 or 26, and i can operate the slide and magazine release with my trigger finger, but under stress and with only gross motor function, im not so certain i could do the same fancy finger juggling.Plus simply by reloading i would be required to hold the pistol with only a couple fingers, not a good defensive grip imho.

im open to any recomendations.
thanks all :D

Unless you are going to wear the gun exposed (NOT a good idea, do a search for other posts on topic); snow, ice and rock-salt should NEVER come near your guns! I'm not sure what your concern is here.

H&K - NONE of them were ever submitted for approval in MA and it is very highly unlikely that they ever will. Thank the AG for that. So the only source for H&K is those of us who were able to buy them prior to the first EOPS "List" publication or those that move in-state with them and are dumb enough to sell them. [wink] In both cases, all sales have to be done FTF between two licensed MA residents.

I do share your concern about open topped Berettas, although since open carry is not a good idea in Massachusetts, as previously noted and concealed carry will minimize the potential for debris to work its way into the pistol via its open top, in reality, your concern may be moot. Having said that, I sure wouldn't want to try to carry a Beretta 92 or 96 concealed. In fact, having carried the 92 under its M9 nomenclature "professionally" while in the Army, it would not be a top choice for me under any conditions. (Regulations be damned, there is something very comforting about having a Browning Hi-Power discretely stashed in the cargo pocket of one's BDU's, I'll stand by the Browning as still one of the best all time great combat 9mm's, although I'm still not sure if I'd want to carry a single action auto as a lawfully armed civilian, to me there are complelling arguments both pro and con, and as "Mr. Glass Half Empty" I naturally gravitate to the con side of that argument.)

Personally, I think you might consider a Sig. They are Mass compliant, the magazine release can be switched to accomodate left handed shooters. Releasing the side is not a problem. Simply grasp the rear of the slide with the non-dominant hand using the thumb and forefinger, pull back, and release forward. Many trainers and competent authorities recommend this method and strongly suggest never to release the slide using the slide stop. As far as the de-cocker goes, it can be easily manipulated with the forefinger of the left hand.

Many of the traditional DA S&W's also have ambi-decocking levers/safetys although I cannot recall if the magazine release can be reversed, the same for the new and Mass compliant Ruger P345. Certainly the Walther and S&W Model 99's are ambidextrous friendly and the same could be said for the new S&W M&P, although I understand that it is not on the "list" yet.

Well, good luck to you. If you can go to a range and either borrow or rent some of the examples listed, you can better make up your mind.

Regards,

Mark

I do share your concern about open topped Berettas, although since open carry is not a good idea in Massachusetts, as previously noted and concealed carry will minimize the potential for debris to work its way into the pistol via its open top, in reality, your concern may be moot

as a concealed carry, the only reason i say an open slide is a concern is in the rare event (one that should never come to pass,but one never knows) That in a life or death struggle the firearm may find its way onto the ground(hopefully NEVER), in a snowbank with rock salt and other debris, then after being reaquired not fire due to foreign material getting in there.
I really want the reliability of a Glock but with left hand controls.

I'm not left handed so I can't judge, but you might want to look here. I've got the CZ75B to which he compares it, and it's quickly become one of my all-time favorites. The fit to my hand is even better than my Browning Hi-Power, plus the one I got was a .40 rather than a 9mm. If I had a ~$400 to spare, the only way I'd be mentioning this would be to gloat.

Ken

Mark, I'm curious about what your problems with berettas are?

I've never handled one much, but I kinda like the look and feel of a SS 96.

Just curious.

-Weer'd Beard

Take a look at the SW CS45, it's my main carry gun. Small, light, ALL METAL, accurate as all get out...double sided safety/decocker too. Cs9 (9mm) is great too.

Or if you need plastic, the SW99 (or Walther P99) are excellent. My son, a lefty, (handedness, not politically) just completed the police acadamy and that's what he's using. I was very impressed by it's feature and lefty friendliness. It comes in 9mm and .40 (maybe .45).

Walther comes in 9mm and .40. It's not finicky to ammos as well. Check it out... [wink] and its not as expensive... reasonably priced. [wink]

... another thing that is good about it is that you dont have to change grip to remove the magazine, you could just basically use your trigger finger. It's just a one hand operation... left or right hand! [wink]

Moderator said:

Reinforced polymer chassis, superior ergonomics, ambidextrous controls, proven safety features. The new standard in reliability when your job is to serve and protect and your life is on the line.

In the design of the M&P, we considered the needs of military and law enforcement from every conceivable angle. No other polymer pistol offers this combination of versatility, durability and safety. ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY

..have any idea how much its gonna cost in the US? Looks like they have just made it more beautiful... better.

mark056 said:
If you can go to a range and either borrow or rent some of the examples listed, you can better make up your mind.

Regards,

Mark
Yea , im a member up at the manchester firing line, i think its time to take a trip this weekend up there and rent a few of the semiautos suggested here.
P99 is so damn ugly lol
it looks like a prop from the movie judge dread. :p

hiram_Abiff said:
Moderator said:

..have any idea how much its gonna cost in the US? Looks like they have just made it more beautiful... better.

I was talking to Paul at BullsEye in Woonsoclet, RI. He has a couple on order for the first release. He said that the price would be a little higher than a Glock, but he expects the quality to show. I am not saying it will be better then a Glock.

Moderator said:
hiram_Abiff said:
Moderator said:

I was talking to Paul at BullsEye in Woonsoclet, RI. He has a couple on order for the first release. He said that the price would be a little higher than a Glock, but he expects the quality to show. I am not saying it will be better then a Glock.

... since I am not a glock fan, as I find the glock to be finicky when it comes to ammos, I would be willing to invest a little more. Could save more money in the long run with cheap ammos which P99 could take. Walther can just eat anything! Havent heard of any kBs with a Walther so far particularly with a .40.

Got nothing against glocks... just have seen several wrecked barrels due to kbs... personally seen one. [wink] Glocks are for those who can afford expensive ammos here.

"Mark, I'm curious about what your problems with berettas are? " W.B.

That's a fair question. Aside from not being aesthetically pleasing to me, they just don't fit my hand well as I have small to medium hands. By today's standard they seem very large considering the basic package of the 92 is 9mm.

The Beretta 92 and the Sig P226 passed the Army pistol trials in the 80's and aside from a cracked frame problem that the GAO actually did a study on, which appeared to be more much ado about nothing, than anything else, the M9 appeared to serve the waning years of the Cold War Era quite well. It was only during our first excursion into the sandbox that reports started coming back regarding the open top and the problem of sand. Now the type of sand found in Iraq is of a different consistancy than that found in the United States (this is no b.s.) so the pistol trials were probably legitimate way back. I have heard second- hand reports of the same type of problem occuring during our present sandbox conflagration, but have no first-hand knowledge.

Apparently there are some issues with the NATO 9mm round, too. I'm not going to knock the 9mm Parabellum as in some of its loadings, it can be effective but in military hard ball configuration, it doesn't seem to be cutting it as an anti-personnel round (again, after how many wars ?)

Regards,

Mark

Corrosion Resistant

SnakeEye, If the corrosion resistance of slide area is still a concern to you, I believe that Smith & Wesson's line of subcompact semi-autos, the Chief Specials, CS9, CS40, CS45, do use stainless steel slides, even the models that appear blued/blackened not just the stainless looking versions. Excellent little pistols, very reliable and accurate and the 9mm version appears to handle +P ammo fine. Also, I obtained the parts and instructions from S&W to add an ambidextrous safety/decocker to make it better for left handed operation, easy conversion, took just a minute on the telephone with S&W to learn how to do it and then just a few minutes to make the conversion.

I think you need to avoid worrying about "rare events" and deal with what is. Berettas are great for lefties and righties - I've got six and never had a problem - rare or common.

Back
Top Bottom